S 150 Auger attachment

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

larsfisk

Anyone have any experience running an auger on a Bobcat S150? I'm considering a purchase of a used machine and this attachment to dig into some very compacted and rocky ground and am not sure if this set-up will do the job. Any advise out there? Thanks!

reaperman

We have a cat brand auger at work we use from time to time. Not with a 150 though our t250 puts out about 20gpm. But augers have their own power head/gear reduction. Saying that, most augers dont spin fast, but slow and steady so alot of fast moving hydraulics may not be necessary. I'd look at the what specs a given auger recommends and go from there. The only limiting factor I can think of would be what size bit you plan on using. Our largest bit is 18" and smallest is 4". The auger has never had trouble with the larger bit vs a smaller bit. I will say we have had rocks stop it from time to time with any size bit. Most times the auger will bring the rock to the surface but not always.

[email protected]

We have a cat brand auger at work we use from time to time. Not with a 150 though our t250 puts out about 20gpm. But augers have their own power head/gear reduction. Saying that, most augers dont spin fast, but slow and steady so alot of fast moving hydraulics may not be necessary. I'd look at the what specs a given auger recommends and go from there. The only limiting factor I can think of would be what size bit you plan on using. Our largest bit is 18" and smallest is 4". The auger has never had trouble with the larger bit vs a smaller bit. I will say we have had rocks stop it from time to time with any size bit. Most times the auger will bring the rock to the surface but not always.
used a john deere auger on my 643 a few months ago, worked great. was totally impressed. if you hit no rocks you will do a hole in a minute or so. it just sinks right down. once you hit rocks they arent as good obviously.

Tazza

Staff member
used a john deere auger on my 643 a few months ago, worked great. was totally impressed. if you hit no rocks you will do a hole in a minute or so. it just sinks right down. once you hit rocks they arent as good obviously.
I have an auger for my S150, it does just fine.
I drilled holes in shale with my 743 and an auger, i had a helper that put a hydraulic car jack under the rear of the machine so i had more down pressure to get through it. Took time but worked.
I drilled holes for a friend in clay/mild rock, no need for the jack to give extra pressure.
The S150 has more than enough flow to handle it.

OP
OP
L

larsfisk

I have an auger for my S150, it does just fine.
I drilled holes in shale with my 743 and an auger, i had a helper that put a hydraulic car jack under the rear of the machine so i had more down pressure to get through it. Took time but worked.
I drilled holes for a friend in clay/mild rock, no need for the jack to give extra pressure.
The S150 has more than enough flow to handle it.
Thanks for the advice… like the car jack trick!

SkidRoe

In my experience, if you are in very hard ground, you may want to investigate using a more aggressive digging tip for your auger, something more akin to a rock bit.
I did some holes for a neighbour a couple of years ago in hardpan with rocks, brutal digging conditions. The auger was very hot each time I pulled it out of the hole, and it wore the chizels down pretty good.
If you have the option, do the digging when the soil is wet, like in the spring. This too will help a lot.
As stated earlier, you will have no problem running an auger with your machine. I am running up to a 12" auger on an old 440B with acceptable results.
HTH