runs for 5 minutes then dies

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

firebird_1995

Well I got my 773 bobcats wheel motor fixed. Now that I can actually run it I am able to try out the engine. What I've noticed is it will run good for about 5 minutes then begin to lose power. It happens gradually but eventually the engine will stall. Its not running long enough to be overheating so im leaning towards fuel. I have changed my filter and bled the air out. I noticed that when I squeeze the primer bulb it takes quite a while for it to fill back up. Could the fuel tank be plugged around the outlet?

OldMachinist

The fuel pick up could be clogging or the line in tank may be cracked or broken. Try connecting a clean container of fuel to the inlet of the primer bulb and see how long it runs.

OP
OP
F

firebird_1995

The fuel pick up could be clogging or the line in tank may be cracked or broken. Try connecting a clean container of fuel to the inlet of the primer bulb and see how long it runs.
I will try that today. Last night I took off the primer bulb and tried blowing air into the tank (fuel cap off) and no air would move so im guessing its plugged. Unless there is a check valve somewhere in between the primer bulb and tank.

Tazza

Staff member
I will try that today. Last night I took off the primer bulb and tried blowing air into the tank (fuel cap off) and no air would move so im guessing its plugged. Unless there is a check valve somewhere in between the primer bulb and tank.
There is a one way valve in the tank. If you push too hard, you will blow it off.
Does the primer bulb get sucked flat? if so, there may be algae in the tank that has clogged up the puckup tube screen. Lift the cab and trace back the fuel lines, find the pickup one and pull it out of the tank. Its a good idea to replace the pickup tubem as they get old and crack.
If not, there is a leak somewhere else allowing it to loose prime.

OP
OP
F

firebird_1995

There is a one way valve in the tank. If you push too hard, you will blow it off.
Does the primer bulb get sucked flat? if so, there may be algae in the tank that has clogged up the puckup tube screen. Lift the cab and trace back the fuel lines, find the pickup one and pull it out of the tank. Its a good idea to replace the pickup tubem as they get old and crack.
If not, there is a leak somewhere else allowing it to loose prime.
Figured it out. At some point in its life someone pulled the supply line going into the tank out a little bit and it allowed sand to get into the tank. After it ran for a few minutes the pickup screen would bury itself in the funk at die

7LBSSMALLIE

Figured it out. At some point in its life someone pulled the supply line going into the tank out a little bit and it allowed sand to get into the tank. After it ran for a few minutes the pickup screen would bury itself in the funk at die
there is a drain on tank .flushing would be better than pulling. been there done that, just ask.glad to help.

OP
OP
F

firebird_1995

there is a drain on tank .flushing would be better than pulling. been there done that, just ask.glad to help.
i zip tied the line about 3 inches higher so i can burn out as much of the 10 gallons of fresh fuel i just put in. after that i am going to do the flush. what did you do to flush it?

Tazza

Staff member
i zip tied the line about 3 inches higher so i can burn out as much of the 10 gallons of fresh fuel i just put in. after that i am going to do the flush. what did you do to flush it?
If you get under the machine, at the bottom of the belly there is a plate (or should be) held on with 3 bolts. Remove it, you should see two plugs, one into the steel of the chain case, one into teh plastic fuel tank. Remove the alloy pin from it and it should pup out. Have a tray ready to take the fuel. If you have the machine sitting on a slight incline it would help to direct the sand/grime towards the drain plug.
There is no reason why you can't clean it with fuel. Filter out the sand/grime and pour the clean fuel back into the tank, hopefully it will wash most of it out. You will never get it all, but you will get a good proportion of it. Even if you add fuel, drive it around to wash it down to the lower points of the tank and drain it again.