Running bobcat in yard w/o tearing up the yard

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BigMac

I recently bought a skid-steer and have used it to move some dirt, rocks, etc. I rented an auger from my local bobcat dealer and planted a number of trees. Problem is I really sort of tore up the grass. The tires I have are about 70%, and i am careful when turning, but I still have skid marks all over the place. What am I doing wrong? Is there a trick to making turns, I realize I don't want to lock up one side and full throttle the other,, I've tried to easy one side and use the other to turn, but it seems like I am always tearing up the grass. It was a little damp that way so maybe that is it?? Thanks in advance,

OldMachinist

That's why they're called skid steers because unless you make very wide turns one or more tires is skidding when you turn. If you need to work in the same place in the yard you can put down some plywood to help prevent some of the damage. I also have some turf tires that I put on when when I do alot of in the yard.

OP
OP
B

BigMac

That's why they're called skid steers because unless you make very wide turns one or more tires is skidding when you turn. If you need to work in the same place in the yard you can put down some plywood to help prevent some of the damage. I also have some turf tires that I put on when when I do alot of in the yard.
Ok, so its not something I am doing wrong or something wrong with my machine. I will use the sheet of plywood next time I use that auger. Thanks!

Bobcatdan

Ok, so its not something I am doing wrong or something wrong with my machine. I will use the sheet of plywood next time I use that auger. Thanks!
I normally when on a yard, I drive straight to the point of work, typical auger work. Then back up to a point where I can angle and drive straight to the next hole. You could always trade off on a A300 all wheel steer.

TriHonu

I normally when on a yard, I drive straight to the point of work, typical auger work. Then back up to a point where I can angle and drive straight to the next hole. You could always trade off on a A300 all wheel steer.
I have a 763 and have two sets of tires. One new set of 10" and one set of 12" very used (almost slicks).
I bought the 12" set in their worn-out state. I use them on lawns and on pavement. They do a lot less damage to lawns and on pavement they will turn much smoother don't jump around near as much. (It's even smoother if you can spread a little dirt on the pavement where you need to turn sharply.) The best part is once the bars are worn off, the tires wear very slowly and will last a long time.
I heard about using bald tires from my brother who worked as a mechanic for an old excavating contractor. The guy had numerous sets of bald tires and my brother would get the schedule to tell him how many skids he wanted bald tires on vs how many he wanted "good" tires on. He did a lot of tire changes but it kept everyone happy.
It doesn't take much time to change them. Put a floor jack under the rear, give it a few pumps and roll the bucket to lift the fronts off the ground. Grab the impact and go!

If you want an extra set of tires check with the dealers in your area, Craigs List and the like. I got my tires and wheels from a Cat Service Tech, $100 for the set of 4.
The Cat dealer he worked for scraps the wheels from machines they service through a service agreement. They take a new set of wheels to a job site to replace a worn-out set. The dealer has to pay an employee to dismount the bad tires so they can sell or scrap the rims and tires. They told their Techs that it is not cost effective and allow the Techs to take them if they want them. I found the guy on Craigs List and he had multiple sets for sale.
The other source is sets of tires that have been foam filled. I have been told they can not be removed from the rims with out cutting them off. The guys that get them foam filled know they will replace both the rims and tires when they are through using them. Ask around, you may be able to get a set for free.

Iowa Dave

I have over 100 sheets. Just last week one crew did a job that took 60. (but the next day they only needed 9 sheets)We work almost exclusively in high-end neighborhoods, plywood is just part of the deal. We haul it around, lay it down and pick it up every day.

mahans7

I have over 100 sheets. Just last week one crew did a job that took 60. (but the next day they only needed 9 sheets)We work almost exclusively in high-end neighborhoods, plywood is just part of the deal. We haul it around, lay it down and pick it up every day.
Dave or OM, how thick are the plywood sheets and what type of plywood? I don't suppose you could you use wafer board?

OldMachinist

Dave or OM, how thick are the plywood sheets and what type of plywood? I don't suppose you could you use wafer board?
I use 1/2" exterior. I also put it down on the shed floor to protect the concrete when I have the steel tracks on.

lesgawlik

I use 1/2" exterior. I also put it down on the shed floor to protect the concrete when I have the steel tracks on.
I've used wafer board for a small skidsteer. It's heavy and unwieldy. It doesn't hold up to rain. It breaks easily. Wafer board is at best a one-use item. Plywood will last substantially longer.

mahans7

I've used wafer board for a small skidsteer. It's heavy and unwieldy. It doesn't hold up to rain. It breaks easily. Wafer board is at best a one-use item. Plywood will last substantially longer.
Ok then, 1/2" exterior plywood it is. Will avoid wafer board.. Thanks guys.

OldMachinist

bobcat sells plastic panels just for this. not cheap but will last forever unlike wood
I don't know what Bobcat gets for the plastic ones but the ones I've seen were $200 a piece for the 4' x 8' and weighed 86 lbs each. I think I'll stick with the plywood.