rubber cutting edge

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kdmcon

Does anyone know how well a rubber cutting edge works for clearing snow. Also the cost of a rubber edge as well Thanks.

mllud

I dont know how well they work. I thought they were more for preventing damage to surfaces. You might look at www.skidsteer.ca. for a cutting edge I also saw these items on ebay under skid steer attachments. look at item no.120217835448Ruber edgefor $83. also items 260183420461 and 150178191108.I dont know about quality of these items.Mike

Bandit1047

I dont know how well they work. I thought they were more for preventing damage to surfaces. You might look at www.skidsteer.ca. for a cutting edge I also saw these items on ebay under skid steer attachments. look at item no.120217835448Ruber edgefor $83. also items 260183420461 and 150178191108.I dont know about quality of these items.Mike
If there is a company that machines plastic or a plastic distributor that does machining of plastic in your area, ask for a HUMW drop, long enough to fit on your blade. UHMW is "ultra high molecular weight plasic" they use it to line dump truck beds and vibratory hoppers. This stuff wears like iron and will not scratch your asphalt or concrete. It drills easy and should be ecenimical if bought as a drop. Joe

hp0617

I have a thick rubber cutting edge on my blade and it works very well. I have asphalt, concrete, and gravel at various places on my drive and it does a good job on all three. It's really nice on the asphalt as I can really apply the down pressure if I have some really hard packed spots I need to get off. It seem to be a bit easier on the gravel also. I've used steel blades before and I much prefer this rubber one. Mine is probably 1" thick by 6" tall with about 1 1/2" below the steel blade part.

I have a thick rubber cutting edge on my blade and it works very well. I have asphalt, concrete, and gravel at various places on my drive and it does a good job on all three. It's really nice on the asphalt as I can really apply the down pressure if I have some really hard packed spots I need to get off. It seem to be a bit easier on the gravel also. I've used steel blades before and I much prefer this rubber one. Mine is probably 1" thick by 6" tall with about 1 1/2" below the steel blade part.
How about a photo to get a better Idea of how this works? there 617

wvtrees

I have a poly edge bolted to my bucket. Acquired from May-Wes. Google for the website. Reversible and safe on all surfaces. 2nd season with this one. Approx. $275 purchased last year.

LCCorp111

I have a poly edge bolted to my bucket. Acquired from May-Wes. Google for the website. Reversible and safe on all surfaces. 2nd season with this one. Approx. $275 purchased last year.
I use 1 1/2" thick rubber blades on all my plows, equipment and trucks. They clean well and last long. Best of all you don't feel the bumps or raised sewers. I'm guessing about between twelve to twenty dollars per foot.

rumrunner

I use 1 1/2" thick rubber blades on all my plows, equipment and trucks. They clean well and last long. Best of all you don't feel the bumps or raised sewers. I'm guessing about between twelve to twenty dollars per foot.
Do you think a person could cut up some conveyer belt and put that on the bottom of the blade?

rumrunner

It would need to be quite heavy belting to last any amount of time though. The plastic edges are about 1 to 1.5" thick.
Ken
OK..always up to a challenge!! So experiment #1- I cut up an old snowmobile track, doubled it up. The lugs on the track were only about 1/2 inch so I put it back to back. The track was re-inforced with fiberglas rods..I used the existing holes from the drive sprokets. Squeezed it in behind my grader blade gutting edge and the main blade. I left about 1.5 inches below the main blade. Seems to work ok..took out alot of the vibration and doesnt cut into the non frozen surfaces. Today I aquired 16 long x 2 feet wide of 7/16th's thick conveyor belting. Tomorrow i will cut the belting into 6 inch strips x 8 feet long. Drill 3/4" holes 12" OC and that will leave me with about 3 to 3 1/2 inches below the blade. I will also double this up so that will give me a 'sweeping edge of about 3/4 " thick and 3 inches below the blade. Might even triple it up. I am sure it will work great. So far the cost has been minimal. My time and no cost for materials.

rumrunner

OK..always up to a challenge!! So experiment #1- I cut up an old snowmobile track, doubled it up. The lugs on the track were only about 1/2 inch so I put it back to back. The track was re-inforced with fiberglas rods..I used the existing holes from the drive sprokets. Squeezed it in behind my grader blade gutting edge and the main blade. I left about 1.5 inches below the main blade. Seems to work ok..took out alot of the vibration and doesnt cut into the non frozen surfaces. Today I aquired 16 long x 2 feet wide of 7/16th's thick conveyor belting. Tomorrow i will cut the belting into 6 inch strips x 8 feet long. Drill 3/4" holes 12" OC and that will leave me with about 3 to 3 1/2 inches below the blade. I will also double this up so that will give me a 'sweeping edge of about 3/4 " thick and 3 inches below the blade. Might even triple it up. I am sure it will work great. So far the cost has been minimal. My time and no cost for materials.
WOW..is all I can say.. I put the conveyor belt edge on as described in my other post and WOW WOW WOW. I plow mainly gravel driveways..the rubber edge is working out great. No vibration and if you hit a little tree stump or big rock it just hops over.