rough steering

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Grampa

I just purchased a 632. When I move forward or pivot the unit will rock terriblely. It will stop rocking only if I release both leavers and hold on for dear life. It is not as bad if I only run at 1/2 trottle. The dealer didn't seem to have any problems with it. Is it driver error or is there something I can adjust.

Fishfiles

I am pretty sure what you are experiencing is the nature of the beast , with practice you can get good at not shaking you teeth loose , kinda like breaking in a horse , hold on till you figure it out

Tazza

Staff member
I am pretty sure what you are experiencing is the nature of the beast , with practice you can get good at not shaking you teeth loose , kinda like breaking in a horse , hold on till you figure it out
What sort of surface are you driving on? Sticky surfaces will do that, the tyres will flex and loose traction when turning. It will keep doing this till you stop. As there is no diff like on a car, turning is not really smooth. On dirt and mud, it will slide around easily.
Try it with the revs at about 3/4 and move the steering levery slowly, how does it go like that?

jerry

What sort of surface are you driving on? Sticky surfaces will do that, the tyres will flex and loose traction when turning. It will keep doing this till you stop. As there is no diff like on a car, turning is not really smooth. On dirt and mud, it will slide around easily.
Try it with the revs at about 3/4 and move the steering levery slowly, how does it go like that?
I had a 632 like that, couldn't do hardly anything without it hopping until I replaced all the pivots in the steering linkage and the bearings that support the cross shaft. It made a world of difference and didn't cost much for parts.

OP
OP
G

Grampa

I had a 632 like that, couldn't do hardly anything without it hopping until I replaced all the pivots in the steering linkage and the bearings that support the cross shaft. It made a world of difference and didn't cost much for parts.
Thanks, I ordered a maintenance manual on E-Bay so I can figure out the repairs

OP
OP
G

Grampa

Check back and let us know what you repair to make that bucky turn around go away
Recieved the manual, read the directions, I found the centering adjustment to be over 1/2 inch out of adjustment. Loose. So I tightened it to the 2.55 in maximum tightness. I also checked the hydrolic fluid. It was low so I filled that. Those to maintenance items made a world of differance. There is still a little hop in it but I noticed the far back pivot point ( figures) needs new bushings. I have to get those ordered. but all in all much improved. Thanks for the help and advice.