rotating Scrap Metal Shear

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

6DoubleDuece

Hey Guys, I would like to build one of these http://www.ransome-equip.com/mobileshear.html Have you seen the prices on these? I already have a spare hydro. motor for the rotation But I don't know how you would work the hoses and be able to rotate it. Need help on the pivot points, aligning the blades, blade material, and ram selection. So what I am trying to say is I need all the help I can get in designing it :) Brain storming welcome! TIA Brenden

Tazza

Staff member
Had to fix your link up a little bit.
The biggest problem with building one is the steel will need to be thick, strong pivot points. The motor rotation doesn't need to be quick so thats not a real issue. Ram sizes will need to be large to provide as much shearing power as possible. Just large cylinder diameter.

perry

Had to fix your link up a little bit.
The biggest problem with building one is the steel will need to be thick, strong pivot points. The motor rotation doesn't need to be quick so thats not a real issue. Ram sizes will need to be large to provide as much shearing power as possible. Just large cylinder diameter.
Another point is finding the very high quality metal used in the commercial shears?, plus, how would you cut 4-5-6 inch steel?. Man!, that's a huge task. If you start this project please keep us informed.

jerry

Another point is finding the very high quality metal used in the commercial shears?, plus, how would you cut 4-5-6 inch steel?. Man!, that's a huge task. If you start this project please keep us informed.
This is not a build at home project. At the shop I worked in we made components for the cylinders for the Labounty -Stanley shears. The last ones I worked on were, I believe rated at 10,000 psi. They do use fairly exotic alloys for most parts of these shears. Genesis in Superior Wisconsin makes similar stuff, that company was started by people from Labounty. I think even the smaller shears will bite off a railroad rail so they are not light duty. jerry

Bandit1047

This is not a build at home project. At the shop I worked in we made components for the cylinders for the Labounty -Stanley shears. The last ones I worked on were, I believe rated at 10,000 psi. They do use fairly exotic alloys for most parts of these shears. Genesis in Superior Wisconsin makes similar stuff, that company was started by people from Labounty. I think even the smaller shears will bite off a railroad rail so they are not light duty. jerry
I agree that this is not a home build project. Every part of these units are engineered to do a specific job. The cutting edge is most likely some very expensive tool steel like D2 or 52100 with special heat treating with a cryogenic treatment and multiple draws. The pivot point is also made of some massive bearing material that must withstand forces the average shade tree mechanic would not be familiar with. I would invest in a good oxygen lance to cut up large scrap. However, if you do decide to build it, by all means keep us informed and post pictures! Best of luck! Joe

OP
OP

6DoubleDuece

I agree that this is not a home build project. Every part of these units are engineered to do a specific job. The cutting edge is most likely some very expensive tool steel like D2 or 52100 with special heat treating with a cryogenic treatment and multiple draws. The pivot point is also made of some massive bearing material that must withstand forces the average shade tree mechanic would not be familiar with. I would invest in a good oxygen lance to cut up large scrap. However, if you do decide to build it, by all means keep us informed and post pictures! Best of luck! Joe
I just can't see 28K-30K for a shear. I wasn't planning on making all the parts, I was going to have the parts cut at a local shop. I was thinking of making the jaws out of 2" thick Hardox then having a lip machined out of the sides for the cuting edge. I don't know what they cost but I could possibly set it up to take the cutting edge from one of the units already on the market. As for the pivot point I was thinking 2 1/2" cold rolled. I want to be able to cut up old 2 ton truck frames, so I need it to cut roughly 2"X8" C channel. Keep it coming! Thanks Brenden

Tazza

Staff member
I just can't see 28K-30K for a shear. I wasn't planning on making all the parts, I was going to have the parts cut at a local shop. I was thinking of making the jaws out of 2" thick Hardox then having a lip machined out of the sides for the cuting edge. I don't know what they cost but I could possibly set it up to take the cutting edge from one of the units already on the market. As for the pivot point I was thinking 2 1/2" cold rolled. I want to be able to cut up old 2 ton truck frames, so I need it to cut roughly 2"X8" C channel. Keep it coming! Thanks Brenden
That sort of gauge steel shouldn't be an issue, i suspect the *real* shears are designed to cut like 4" round bar or larger. The stuff you are looking at is only a few mm wall thickness, it shouldn't be a huge issue. I'd make sure you used really good quality jaws that can be replaced, you don't want to have to replace an entire jaw because you got a few chips on the cutting faces. I would ensure you made suitable bushings for the pivot pins too. Hard to say what size pins you would need as there will be a LOT of shear force here.

perry

That sort of gauge steel shouldn't be an issue, i suspect the *real* shears are designed to cut like 4" round bar or larger. The stuff you are looking at is only a few mm wall thickness, it shouldn't be a huge issue. I'd make sure you used really good quality jaws that can be replaced, you don't want to have to replace an entire jaw because you got a few chips on the cutting faces. I would ensure you made suitable bushings for the pivot pins too. Hard to say what size pins you would need as there will be a LOT of shear force here.
I remember seeing one at Richie brothers, check their web site for upcoming auctions and pictures.

Bandit1047

I remember seeing one at Richie brothers, check their web site for upcoming auctions and pictures.
contact McNeil industries for a pivot point bearing. www.McNeilindustries.com Call and ask for Erich Hahn. Ask if they have something returned from a customer or something left on the shelf that they would sell you cheap in a Maxom bearing. Have an idea of size B-4 you call.

OP
OP

6DoubleDuece

contact McNeil industries for a pivot point bearing. www.McNeilindustries.com Call and ask for Erich Hahn. Ask if they have something returned from a customer or something left on the shelf that they would sell you cheap in a Maxom bearing. Have an idea of size B-4 you call.
Thanks all for the info! I am working on the jaw shape. There are several different styles out on the market. Not sure what to do about the ram just yet. Thanks Brenden

Pappy

This may work. http://cgi.ebay.com/HURST-JAWS-OF-LIFE-Scissors_W0QQitemZ260452151375QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca428704f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
It didn't make clickable link. you'll have to copy and paste in the address bar.