ROPS Modification

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cnorm5623

Hi, At our mill we have a CAT Skid steer. the ROPS had been damaged and the top had been smashed by the opps running in to stuff. well our mechanic had just choped off a few inches from the top back to where the frame of the ROPS was decent and welded a new 3/8" plate on the top. and a lot of opps are complainging because they keep hitting there head and are worried that it might not be
1 strong enough
2 legal.
There is a huge push for safety around here and just want to cover the bases. they did it to save a buck insted of buying a new one. so my question is.... Is it legal to modify a ROPS? and is it gonna be strong enough?

skidsteer.ca

3/8 is going to be heavier then what was there b4, however if its too low then thats not so good.
Likely never be legal in most jurisdictions, it would have to be ok'ed by a engineer. Too bad when that happens to a otherwise good machine.
Ken

catapeed

3/8 is going to be heavier then what was there b4, however if its too low then thats not so good.
Likely never be legal in most jurisdictions, it would have to be ok'ed by a engineer. Too bad when that happens to a otherwise good machine.
Ken
OSHA standard 1926.1000(d) Remounting. ROPS removed for any reason, shall be remounted with equal quality, or better, bolts or welding as required for the original mounting. If you want to see more just reference OSHA standard 1926.1000

Tazza

Staff member
OSHA standard 1926.1000(d) Remounting. ROPS removed for any reason, shall be remounted with equal quality, or better, bolts or welding as required for the original mounting. If you want to see more just reference OSHA standard 1926.1000
From what i have been told, ANY modification to a ROPS makes it illegal to use, that includes drilling a hole.... Call any dealer, you will be very hard pressed to get a second hand ROPS. I called a few over here, thel all said they were not allowed to sell them. They were removed for a reason, be that a twist, crack, they needed to dump them.

Fishfiles

From what i have been told, ANY modification to a ROPS makes it illegal to use, that includes drilling a hole.... Call any dealer, you will be very hard pressed to get a second hand ROPS. I called a few over here, thel all said they were not allowed to sell them. They were removed for a reason, be that a twist, crack, they needed to dump them.
I agree with Tazza , any modifacation or damge that would deem it structurally unsafe to a ROPS/FLOPS cab could cause it to be frowned upon by OSHA and if something were to happen you can bet it would become an issue in the insueing lawsuits --------------------- the other end of the spectrum is here in the USA we have a problem with cabs on excavators on what I call Gray Market machines , the standards over seas is much lower than here and machines come in with not to USA ROPS/FLOPS specs. cabs and seen some make it onto larger job sites where there are saftey man who do nothing but screw-te-nyze , I have seen them be removed from the site and not allowed to work , and have seen a few accidents where operators were hurt when the machine flipped with a not approved cab

Des

Tazza you are right on the money, in Australia you can not modify a ROPS with out the right testing and certification, makes my life hard. rops for skidsteers are available. I have sold 4 from machines that Ihave parted out.