Rookie needs 4 in 1 bucket advice!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

otisdog

Finally using the S160 I bought to remodel my yard. My question - I have to push the "Max flow only" button to get the jaws of my 4 in 1 to stay always open or always closed. When I do this it seems to alter the right "tilt" pedal so that no matter if you heel or toe the right pedal the bucket only tilts one direction. What am I doing wrong? Be nice, I'm a complete novice...10 hours on a Bobcat.

Tazza

Staff member
It should operate just fine in vairable flow. If you haven't used the aux hydraulics before the stems may be stuck causing odd operation. I know the 753G i got recently that has a GP bucket attached looked like the aux hydraulics were never used. One stem was bent, the other was sticky causing odd operation. You may have the same problem.
It should function with the thumb switch to open and close without causing problems with your lift or tilt functions. All my machines have 4 in 1 buckets, the only time a problem like you are mentioning happens is when the hydraulics is stuck on. This can cause all sorts of odd operation like no lift or tilt power.
Hopefully thats your problem, new stems aren't too cheap, but in the scheme of things, its not that bad.

OP
OP
O

otisdog

It should operate just fine in vairable flow. If you haven't used the aux hydraulics before the stems may be stuck causing odd operation. I know the 753G i got recently that has a GP bucket attached looked like the aux hydraulics were never used. One stem was bent, the other was sticky causing odd operation. You may have the same problem.
It should function with the thumb switch to open and close without causing problems with your lift or tilt functions. All my machines have 4 in 1 buckets, the only time a problem like you are mentioning happens is when the hydraulics is stuck on. This can cause all sorts of odd operation like no lift or tilt power.
Hopefully thats your problem, new stems aren't too cheap, but in the scheme of things, its not that bad.
Tazza, thanks for the reply. I don't know what stems are, but I spent yesterday tearing out roots with the 709 backhoe, so I think my auxillary hydraulics are functioning fine. The unit has 270 hours...probably just operator error! I hope I figure it out, I don't want to have to hand load several large piles of "trumpet vine" roots into the dumpster today!

OP
OP
O

otisdog

Tazza, thanks for the reply. I don't know what stems are, but I spent yesterday tearing out roots with the 709 backhoe, so I think my auxillary hydraulics are functioning fine. The unit has 270 hours...probably just operator error! I hope I figure it out, I don't want to have to hand load several large piles of "trumpet vine" roots into the dumpster today!
Okay, i'm back from my field trial. The bucket works on variable, but I still lose one of the two pedal functions when I'm operating the open/close function. This time it was the up/down function of the arm...the tilt worked. Could this be because of the flow running the wrong way? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Okay, i'm back from my field trial. The bucket works on variable, but I still lose one of the two pedal functions when I'm operating the open/close function. This time it was the up/down function of the arm...the tilt worked. Could this be because of the flow running the wrong way? Thanks
Are you talking that you get no lift or tilt power WHEN you are using the bucket? Its normal for your lift and tilt to stop working when you are grabbing something with the 4 in 1. I know with mine, i grab something then lift a bit then grab it a little harder, you loose lift and tilt power when you are operating the aux hydraulics but as soon as you stop trying to grab harder everything returns to normal.
If thats essentially what you are talking about, everything is normal.

hipwr223

Are you talking that you get no lift or tilt power WHEN you are using the bucket? Its normal for your lift and tilt to stop working when you are grabbing something with the 4 in 1. I know with mine, i grab something then lift a bit then grab it a little harder, you loose lift and tilt power when you are operating the aux hydraulics but as soon as you stop trying to grab harder everything returns to normal.
If thats essentially what you are talking about, everything is normal.
make sure when you only use the toggle to open AND close the jaws. If you use the trigger it seems to do funny things with my S130.

skidsteer.ca

make sure when you only use the toggle to open AND close the jaws. If you use the trigger it seems to do funny things with my S130.
The front "trigger" is only for attachments that use continuous hydraulic flow, like a brusher or backhoe. If you hit the trigger by accident the bucket will keep trying to close like your holding the thumb switch from variable flow in the on (to the right) position.
Thumb switch is used to control cylinders like a grapple or 4 in one. Use the trigger for motors and all will be fine.
Ken

OP
OP
O

otisdog

The front "trigger" is only for attachments that use continuous hydraulic flow, like a brusher or backhoe. If you hit the trigger by accident the bucket will keep trying to close like your holding the thumb switch from variable flow in the on (to the right) position.
Thumb switch is used to control cylinders like a grapple or 4 in one. Use the trigger for motors and all will be fine.
Ken
Well. now I'm really confused. I opened the bucket, and was going to lower it onto a fence post that I wanted to pull out, but it wouldn't lower...thats normal? Then. I pulled the trigger, and I had all functions -bucket open and close, with raise and tilt at the same time. Hit the toggle, and the bucket tilted. There doesn't seem to be rhyme nor reason for the controls to be so disfunctional. Could be that I'm really tired...ripping out enough trumpet vine roots to fill a 40 yard dumpster sure took it out of me...I was happy to see the rolloff truck come to take it away.

bobcat_ron

Well. now I'm really confused. I opened the bucket, and was going to lower it onto a fence post that I wanted to pull out, but it wouldn't lower...thats normal? Then. I pulled the trigger, and I had all functions -bucket open and close, with raise and tilt at the same time. Hit the toggle, and the bucket tilted. There doesn't seem to be rhyme nor reason for the controls to be so disfunctional. Could be that I'm really tired...ripping out enough trumpet vine roots to fill a 40 yard dumpster sure took it out of me...I was happy to see the rolloff truck come to take it away.
Don't use the trigger, stay the hell away from it, once the bucket is clamped, get off the pressure and you can use the loader, the aux. circut gets the proirity oil flow, so anything like the loader and bucket cylinders won't get the flow until the aux. function is stopped.
Do a simple test, drive full speed forward/reverse and open the bucket up, the machine will come to a crawl and the engine wants to stall, it's pretty hard for a 56 hp engine to push 16 gpm through 5/16" hoses.

OP
OP
O

otisdog

Don't use the trigger, stay the hell away from it, once the bucket is clamped, get off the pressure and you can use the loader, the aux. circut gets the proirity oil flow, so anything like the loader and bucket cylinders won't get the flow until the aux. function is stopped.
Do a simple test, drive full speed forward/reverse and open the bucket up, the machine will come to a crawl and the engine wants to stall, it's pretty hard for a 56 hp engine to push 16 gpm through 5/16" hoses.
Bobcat_ron, thanks for the insight, i didn't know about the auxilliary circuits priorities. Is the toggle variable, as in the further you push it the more hydraullic pressure it provides? Next question - How much does engine speed affect pressure? I've been running a low RPM so as not to upset the neighbors. Thanks again.

Tazza

Staff member
Bobcat_ron, thanks for the insight, i didn't know about the auxilliary circuits priorities. Is the toggle variable, as in the further you push it the more hydraullic pressure it provides? Next question - How much does engine speed affect pressure? I've been running a low RPM so as not to upset the neighbors. Thanks again.
In variable flow, it varies the flow, not the pressure. So you move it a little you get a small amount of fluid flowing, but it has the same pressure.
As for RPM the same deal, the pressure is the same, just a lower flow rate.
Your pressure is factory set, this does not change, only the flow will change with engine RPM and how far you move the thumb switch.