Right track pulls harder. Is this normal?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DINGRAM

The right track on my T190 is pulls much stronger than the left. Is this normal, or is an indicaiton of a problem. It results in it turning much slower to the left when moving forward. Thanks. Dave

Kudagra

Well the tracking could be off. You want to lift the cab (Engine off of course) and look at the bars going from the bellcranks to the pumps. When you move the sticks forward do they move the same amount or is one more forward then the other. I look where the 2 peice bars bolt together. Does it creep at high idle with your hands off the sticks? Track tension will also affect this if say the left track is too tight. Last thing to check would be to jack the machine up and make sure the brake isnt locking up on the left side.

OP
OP
D

DINGRAM

Well the tracking could be off. You want to lift the cab (Engine off of course) and look at the bars going from the bellcranks to the pumps. When you move the sticks forward do they move the same amount or is one more forward then the other. I look where the 2 peice bars bolt together. Does it creep at high idle with your hands off the sticks? Track tension will also affect this if say the left track is too tight. Last thing to check would be to jack the machine up and make sure the brake isnt locking up on the left side.
I really don't think I have a creeping problem. When you say, "when I move the sticks forward, do they move the same amount.", don't they move as much as I push them?

Kudagra

I really don't think I have a creeping problem. When you say, "when I move the sticks forward, do they move the same amount.", don't they move as much as I push them?
Well they have to MOVE the same distance. If they move in different distances you will have differnt outputs on each of the hydrostats. That will make your machine turn to one side when you are driving it with both sticks all the way forward. Those 2 sets of 2 bolts and nuts i mentioned change the legnth of the rods that go from the bellcranks to the pintle arms on the hydrostats. This is why I liked telling it to someone in person then over the phone...its much easier to just show it.

skidsteer.ca

Well they have to MOVE the same distance. If they move in different distances you will have differnt outputs on each of the hydrostats. That will make your machine turn to one side when you are driving it with both sticks all the way forward. Those 2 sets of 2 bolts and nuts i mentioned change the legnth of the rods that go from the bellcranks to the pintle arms on the hydrostats. This is why I liked telling it to someone in person then over the phone...its much easier to just show it.
Does it go in a straight line if you push both steering levers fully forward?
How bought in reverse, if it won't in one or both directions travel in a straight line, it could be your steering levers need adjusted, often this also shows up as a "creeping" problem and the steering sticks don't self center in neutral
Does one track seem to be able to spin and the other one can't when pushing hard into a pile of dirt? This would be more of a sign of hydraulic trouble.
Ken

OP
OP
D

DINGRAM

Does it go in a straight line if you push both steering levers fully forward?
How bought in reverse, if it won't in one or both directions travel in a straight line, it could be your steering levers need adjusted, often this also shows up as a "creeping" problem and the steering sticks don't self center in neutral
Does one track seem to be able to spin and the other one can't when pushing hard into a pile of dirt? This would be more of a sign of hydraulic trouble.
Ken
It doesn't creep, but the right will definitely push harder when I'm getting a scoop of dirt or something. And, if I am driving with it, and I push both sticks all the way forward, it tends to drift to the left. You think this might just be an adjustment problem and not a hydraulic problem. I hope so! Thanks. Dave

Tazza

Staff member
It doesn't creep, but the right will definitely push harder when I'm getting a scoop of dirt or something. And, if I am driving with it, and I push both sticks all the way forward, it tends to drift to the left. You think this might just be an adjustment problem and not a hydraulic problem. I hope so! Thanks. Dave
Mine seems to push a little harder on the left side, i had a thought on sunday (very rare) the previous owner changed a hydrostatic hose, the fittings are a bit smaller with larger adaptors, this will cause a restriction. I would check your hoses just to make sure they are all the same size and that it has no adaptors that could restrict the oil flow. Its only a slight drift, say 1 metre in a run of about 20 metres. It does it a little in reverse, but not as bad. How does yours go in reverse? does it still pull to the same side?
Failing that, you may need to take it to your dealer to get a flow and pressure test on the pump.

skidsteer.ca

Mine seems to push a little harder on the left side, i had a thought on sunday (very rare) the previous owner changed a hydrostatic hose, the fittings are a bit smaller with larger adaptors, this will cause a restriction. I would check your hoses just to make sure they are all the same size and that it has no adaptors that could restrict the oil flow. Its only a slight drift, say 1 metre in a run of about 20 metres. It does it a little in reverse, but not as bad. How does yours go in reverse? does it still pull to the same side?
Failing that, you may need to take it to your dealer to get a flow and pressure test on the pump.
If we are strickly talking about the power of the drive, (its ability to spin one side versus the other under load) then this is strickly a pressure issue of one side and the other.
It sounds like you have a weak pump or a hyd drive motor that is letting some pressure escape without converting it back to mechanical energy to turn the track. You can't see any reason why there might be a drag or other parasitic loss of power on the weak side. Ie a overtight track, bad idler etc?
Ken

OP
OP
D

DINGRAM

If we are strickly talking about the power of the drive, (its ability to spin one side versus the other under load) then this is strickly a pressure issue of one side and the other.
It sounds like you have a weak pump or a hyd drive motor that is letting some pressure escape without converting it back to mechanical energy to turn the track. You can't see any reason why there might be a drag or other parasitic loss of power on the weak side. Ie a overtight track, bad idler etc?
Ken
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm a little new to Bobcats; Are there multiple hydraulic pumps, or just one? If there was only one, I would think it couldn't be a pump problem, or else they would both behave similarly.

Tazza

Staff member
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm a little new to Bobcats; Are there multiple hydraulic pumps, or just one? If there was only one, I would think it couldn't be a pump problem, or else they would both behave similarly.
There are actually 3, one for left, one for right and one for your hydraulics. When you see the pump, it looks like one unit though as they are all joined together.

OP
OP
D

DINGRAM

There are actually 3, one for left, one for right and one for your hydraulics. When you see the pump, it looks like one unit though as they are all joined together.
So that doesn't rule out a pump problem........

OP
OP
D

DINGRAM

Ken
No, the tracks look equally tight. I've tightened the belt, added hyd. fluid, and otherwise did all the possible cheap fixes I can think of. It is definitely weak on the left side. When I push forward on the right stick only, it will spin on a dime; but with the left side, it will turn, but it struggles to turn, and i get a feedback, jumpy feel in the left stick. It strains when I push back on the left stick as well. Any suggestions for troubleshooting? Anyone know where I can get a manual for a T190. If I start digging into it I'm going to need one. Thanks! Dave

Tazza

Staff member
No, the tracks look equally tight. I've tightened the belt, added hyd. fluid, and otherwise did all the possible cheap fixes I can think of. It is definitely weak on the left side. When I push forward on the right stick only, it will spin on a dime; but with the left side, it will turn, but it struggles to turn, and i get a feedback, jumpy feel in the left stick. It strains when I push back on the left stick as well. Any suggestions for troubleshooting? Anyone know where I can get a manual for a T190. If I start digging into it I'm going to need one. Thanks! Dave
From what you are saying, it does sound like the pump or motor. I really do suggest you take it to your dealer to get a flow and pressure test done.
At the very least, call them and talk to the service department and see if they have any ideas.

goodtech

From what you are saying, it does sound like the pump or motor. I really do suggest you take it to your dealer to get a flow and pressure test done.
At the very least, call them and talk to the service department and see if they have any ideas.
Depends on your serail number of your machine, but what I have read it sounds like your left drive motor is going out, it is common for the first t-190 when they came out. The final drive bearing where to small and the they where going out and eating your drive motor apart. about a 2 years ago bobcat had a recall on certain serial numbers to replace those drive motors.

Kudagra

Depends on your serail number of your machine, but what I have read it sounds like your left drive motor is going out, it is common for the first t-190 when they came out. The final drive bearing where to small and the they where going out and eating your drive motor apart. about a 2 years ago bobcat had a recall on certain serial numbers to replace those drive motors.
You could also have a brake going south. Best way is to jack the machine up and support it with the tracks free. Then hop in and run it at low rpm. If one track dosnt run or takes alot more force it could be the brake. The dealer is also just going to cap off your lines and then run it the same way. If it stalls out the engine with the lines capped I would (and the dealer) would say its ok. If it is the brake you have to yank the drive motor on that side to get to the brake. If it was the brake solenoid bad it would affect both brakes.