Replacing chain case oil in 743B

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mbracewell

My recently purchased 743B's chain case oil looks like a milkshake which I know is a sign of water (possibly antifreeze) contamination. The service manual says that you should access the chaincase from under the seat and use a motorized pump to pump out the old fluid. Yea, like everyone has one of those in their garage. I have hand pump but the capacity on the chain case is 32 quarts (owners manual says 32 gal but that is a typo). That is a lot of hand pumping to get out 32q. Does anyone have an easier means of getting the chain case oil out? I welcome any and all suggestions for making this chore easier. Thanks in advance. Mike

StuZ

If it looks milky, you are gonna want to flush the case anyway, maybe have to change the oil a couple times. It might be worth it to find a small pump to "barrow" Then find out why there is water in it anyway. Maybe old gaskets ??

Eric

If it looks milky, you are gonna want to flush the case anyway, maybe have to change the oil a couple times. It might be worth it to find a small pump to "barrow" Then find out why there is water in it anyway. Maybe old gaskets ??
Try this.
Multipurpose Drill-Powered Pump — 650 GPH

Heres where I found it.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...tDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=11948&R=11948
Good Luck.

Eric

Try this.

Heres where I found it.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=11948&R=11948
Good Luck.
By the way. The specs say you can you it with oil.

Tazza

Staff member
By the way. The specs say you can you it with oil.
If the previous owner or you have used a high pressure washer you may have gotten water in through the breether hole. It will be located underneath the hydrostatic pump under the the lift arm control lever, its very well hidden. I would also check the gasket on top of the chain case, where the park brake sits, either replace the gasket or use silicone.
As for that pump, i wish i had one of those when i did mine!!! i used an old fashioned fuel pump, you know the kind with the soft plactic bulb, it took me the best part of an hour...... Ohh the joy of cramps in your hands from squeezing the bulb.
Good luck with this.

OP
OP
M

mbracewell

Try this.

Heres where I found it.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=11948&R=11948
Good Luck.
Thanks for the suggestion on the drill pump. I picked up a cheaper one at the HW store but it is not self priming and doesn't seem to want to do the job so I am going to return it and check out the above pump you suggested at Northern Tool. I hadn't seen one of these before but it might do the job. If not I guess I will have to fork over the $ for a transfer pump. I posted this issue late last night and had all these replies by morning. Great web site and thank you to all who contribute.

OP
OP
M

mbracewell

Who designed the chain case cover on the 743B - Satan?I remove the parking break and the 4 bolds around it. Then I realize there are 2 more bolts but these are behind a panel that goes accross the cover. Apparently some of the older models had this pannel come in 3 parts but on my model they "improved" things by making this all one piece. So if I am looking at this correctly I have to remove the control linkage; possibly remove my choke; and I have to access 6 more bolts (3 on each side) in a very cramped location just to remove a panel that is preventing me from removing the chain case cover. I now know why the previous owner didn't replace the contaminated chain case oil. What a hassle.

Tazza

Staff member
Who designed the chain case cover on the 743B - Satan?I remove the parking break and the 4 bolds around it. Then I realize there are 2 more bolts but these are behind a panel that goes accross the cover. Apparently some of the older models had this pannel come in 3 parts but on my model they "improved" things by making this all one piece. So if I am looking at this correctly I have to remove the control linkage; possibly remove my choke; and I have to access 6 more bolts (3 on each side) in a very cramped location just to remove a panel that is preventing me from removing the chain case cover. I now know why the previous owner didn't replace the contaminated chain case oil. What a hassle.
LOL, i totally agree with you there. They really aren't made to be easy to work on thats for sure. Are you sure you can't swing an open end spanner in there to un-do the bolts? from memory i didn't need to remove any plates. Un-do the rod that holds the park brake to the lever, this should allow you to remove the park brake and hopefully provide access to the 2 pesky bolts.

Tazza

Staff member
LOL, i totally agree with you there. They really aren't made to be easy to work on thats for sure. Are you sure you can't swing an open end spanner in there to un-do the bolts? from memory i didn't need to remove any plates. Un-do the rod that holds the park brake to the lever, this should allow you to remove the park brake and hopefully provide access to the 2 pesky bolts.
Ignore my previous post.
I just had a look, your rite, there is a cover that goes rite over the top of the chain case cover... What a pain to remove! Mine is also 1 piece.
Also, it appears the chain case breether is located under the park brake lever, i saw it today, its not where i thought it was (like my 731)

OP
OP
M

mbracewell

Ignore my previous post.
I just had a look, your rite, there is a cover that goes rite over the top of the chain case cover... What a pain to remove! Mine is also 1 piece.
Also, it appears the chain case breether is located under the park brake lever, i saw it today, its not where i thought it was (like my 731)
I successfully got the chaincase cover off my Robertcat (that should throw the Ingersol Rand lawyers off the sent) 743B. There are 6 bolts on the plate. The front 4 are easy to get to but the back two are behind another plate that houses the steering levers. You do not need to remove any control linkages. There are 3 bolts on each side of this plate. If you use a roughly 12" extension for your socket driver that will give you enough clearance to get the bolt out. As you start to loosen the nut the round headed bolt will start to turn. If someone is there to help they can just hold it. In my case a bit of duct tape to hold the bolt in worked well. Once you have all 6 bolts out the control plate should lift up at least 3" which should give you enough clearance to get at the back two bolts if you haven't removed them already. At that point the plate should lift out. If you think your gasket is salvageable then use care removing the plate. In my case I new it was in bad shape. Rather than buy a new gasket I am planning to just use silicone. Now I just need to suck out the 32Q of emulsified oil. Then as they say on the shampoo instructions...wash, rinse, repeat. Thanks to all that contributed both for your quick responses and great content.

Eric

I successfully got the chaincase cover off my Robertcat (that should throw the Ingersol Rand lawyers off the sent) 743B. There are 6 bolts on the plate. The front 4 are easy to get to but the back two are behind another plate that houses the steering levers. You do not need to remove any control linkages. There are 3 bolts on each side of this plate. If you use a roughly 12" extension for your socket driver that will give you enough clearance to get the bolt out. As you start to loosen the nut the round headed bolt will start to turn. If someone is there to help they can just hold it. In my case a bit of duct tape to hold the bolt in worked well. Once you have all 6 bolts out the control plate should lift up at least 3" which should give you enough clearance to get at the back two bolts if you haven't removed them already. At that point the plate should lift out. If you think your gasket is salvageable then use care removing the plate. In my case I new it was in bad shape. Rather than buy a new gasket I am planning to just use silicone. Now I just need to suck out the 32Q of emulsified oil. Then as they say on the shampoo instructions...wash, rinse, repeat. Thanks to all that contributed both for your quick responses and great content.
Give us an update when you finish and let us know what else you learn from your experiance.

goodtech

Good Luck on changing you oil. I would look at your wheel seals and make sure that they are not leaking. That is usually the main cause of water getting into your chaincase. You woud have to have that machine submerged for the water to get in through the breather. If you seals are bad I hope that you have a the newer style axle, otherwise good luck.