replacement filters for Gehl CTL-60

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DREAM

I just bought a used CTL-60. Nice machine. Has heat/AC in cab. Just replaced tracks. Machine has 1,900 hours. Due for servicing. I was able to get NAPA numbers from fuel and air filters, but I don't have any help to get the cab up on this thing to get to the oil filter, and the hydraulic oil filter has no legible numbers on it. Does anyone have a cross-reference from the OEM to the NAPA filters? Nearest Gehl dealer is too far away. I have heard that Takeuchi would be the same. Also, just wondering what engine oil everyone was running in the Yanmar engines. Any preference on brand and weight. (southeastern US.) As far as hydraulic oil, what does everyone use there? I see a tag at the filler neck that states "hydraulic oil", then directly below it says " use engine oil of 10W30 or 40 range". I know that has to be a poorly placed and worded decal, right? Surely they don't use engine oil in the hydraulics? Thanks for any help. Dream

Tazza

Staff member
They sure do use engine grade oil in the hydraulic/hydrostatic system. I used to think the same, but its correct. It needs to be thicker to lubricate the pumps and motors. Standard hydraulic oil is too thin and can allow the pumps to wear from lack of lubrication. There are multiple debates in the forum about what to use, i have always run 20W50, 15W40 in my machines, never had an issue.
Sorry, i have no idea where to start to cross refrence the filter without numbers. Unless you can get the part number that Gehl use, napa may have a cross refrence for it.
Just make sure you use diesel grade engine oil for the engine (i am assuming its a diesel?). Diesel engine oil has detergents to keep the engine clean.

skidsteer.ca

They sure do use engine grade oil in the hydraulic/hydrostatic system. I used to think the same, but its correct. It needs to be thicker to lubricate the pumps and motors. Standard hydraulic oil is too thin and can allow the pumps to wear from lack of lubrication. There are multiple debates in the forum about what to use, i have always run 20W50, 15W40 in my machines, never had an issue.
Sorry, i have no idea where to start to cross refrence the filter without numbers. Unless you can get the part number that Gehl use, napa may have a cross refrence for it.
Just make sure you use diesel grade engine oil for the engine (i am assuming its a diesel?). Diesel engine oil has detergents to keep the engine clean.
You need the Gehl, Takeuchi or mustang part number, or anouther owner to give you a filter number you can cross.
Ken

OP
OP
D

DREAM

You need the Gehl, Takeuchi or mustang part number, or anouther owner to give you a filter number you can cross.
Ken
Thanks for all of the help. Tazza, I would never have thought that it took engine oil. Thanks, you probably saved me a lot of money there. I have a parts book for it. FOund the filter numbers. I will call NAPA to see if they will cross. Skidsteer, I think I have the Gehl part #s. Hydraulic is 181607. Engine-182131. Sound like they might cross, or are those numbers from the parts book just reference numbers? That's what they look like to me. I may have to go through Gehl or Takeuchi this time, or just take the old ones off and take with me to see if I can get it done that way. Anyone have an idea where I might find out how much oil for hydraulics and engine? I was thinking of running 15W-40 in both. Anyone see any reason why not? I really need to order a service manual for this. Anyone have reputable dealer they would recommend? I'm in NE GA, but don't mind having things shipped from a dealer that will treat me right, and can offer good advice. Thanks again for the help, and sorry for the long post.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for all of the help. Tazza, I would never have thought that it took engine oil. Thanks, you probably saved me a lot of money there. I have a parts book for it. FOund the filter numbers. I will call NAPA to see if they will cross. Skidsteer, I think I have the Gehl part #s. Hydraulic is 181607. Engine-182131. Sound like they might cross, or are those numbers from the parts book just reference numbers? That's what they look like to me. I may have to go through Gehl or Takeuchi this time, or just take the old ones off and take with me to see if I can get it done that way. Anyone have an idea where I might find out how much oil for hydraulics and engine? I was thinking of running 15W-40 in both. Anyone see any reason why not? I really need to order a service manual for this. Anyone have reputable dealer they would recommend? I'm in NE GA, but don't mind having things shipped from a dealer that will treat me right, and can offer good advice. Thanks again for the help, and sorry for the long post.
15/40 would be fine in your climate.
Those filter numbers are mfgs part numbers, not the filter #, they won't cross into wix
http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/startoffhighwayapps.html Baldwin crosses the air filters for the ctl60, not sure why they don't list the lube and fuel like they do for the ctl70, you could try a search of the Mustang and Taki loaders.
MTL 16 Mustang list a B1421 engine oil for the yanmar w/Yanmar 4TNV98 Eng.
The Taki TL 120 with the yanmar engine list these filters
Qualifiers​
In-Line Hyd.​
(15511-01001)​
Fuel Screen​
(119802-55710)​
Radial Seal O. Air​
(129062-12560)​
Radial Seal I. Air​
(119005-12571)​
Not sure if these are the equivalent to your model though
Ken

You could try other filter maufactures like donaldson, fram, etc.

OP
OP
D

DREAM

15/40 would be fine in your climate.
Those filter numbers are mfgs part numbers, not the filter #, they won't cross into wix
http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/startoffhighwayapps.html Baldwin crosses the air filters for the ctl60, not sure why they don't list the lube and fuel like they do for the ctl70, you could try a search of the Mustang and Taki loaders.
MTL 16 Mustang list a B1421 engine oil for the yanmar w/Yanmar 4TNV98 Eng.
The Taki TL 120 with the yanmar engine list these filters

Qualifiers

In-Line Hyd.
PT8425
(15511-01001)

Fuel Screen
CLN&R*
(119802-55710)

Radial Seal O. Air
RS3988
(129062-12560)

Radial Seal I. Air
RS3703
(119005-12571)

Not sure if these are the equivalent to your model though
Ken

You could try other filter maufactures like donaldson, fram, etc.
Skid, that may help get me closer. I went by NAPA today, and we found pretty much the same thing you said. There is only air filters listed for CTL-60. (that's my luck.LOL!) We looked up an oil filter for the Yanmar engine. I am going to see if it works. The oil filter on this thing is mounted remote, so it may be different. It may already have the NAPA filter on it. Looks to be white. All I can see til I get the cab up. Going to do that tonight. Any ideas on oil capacity? Thanks to all for the help.

OP
OP
D

DREAM

Skid, that may help get me closer. I went by NAPA today, and we found pretty much the same thing you said. There is only air filters listed for CTL-60. (that's my luck.LOL!) We looked up an oil filter for the Yanmar engine. I am going to see if it works. The oil filter on this thing is mounted remote, so it may be different. It may already have the NAPA filter on it. Looks to be white. All I can see til I get the cab up. Going to do that tonight. Any ideas on oil capacity? Thanks to all for the help.
Well, here is what I have so far. Found the NAPA number for the engine oil filter. Got the engine oil drained and the filter off. Changed the fuel filter, but forgot to fill new filter with fuel before I screwed it on. Guess I will try that again. Will be better than trying to get that much air out, and I don't see a primer pump anywhere. I imagine that would be pretty tough. Got both air filters changed. Easiest part of the whole thing. Found a number on the hydraulic oil filter. Tried to cross it, but NAPA(WIX) both say it's not available. Good part number, just OEM still. I will list below what I have so far. Looks like I will be going to the dealer for the hydro filter. Hope this helps someone else with one of these rascals.
Gehl CTL 60 filters.
Engine oil filter= NAPA gold#1344
Engine oil capacity=8 quarts.(I am using 15W 40 Rotella)
Fuel filter=NAPA gold#3397
Air cleaner, outer=NAPA gold#6489
Air cleaner, inner=NAPA gold#6490
Hydraulic=Gehl? Part#3V26.

skidsteer.ca

Well, here is what I have so far. Found the NAPA number for the engine oil filter. Got the engine oil drained and the filter off. Changed the fuel filter, but forgot to fill new filter with fuel before I screwed it on. Guess I will try that again. Will be better than trying to get that much air out, and I don't see a primer pump anywhere. I imagine that would be pretty tough. Got both air filters changed. Easiest part of the whole thing. Found a number on the hydraulic oil filter. Tried to cross it, but NAPA(WIX) both say it's not available. Good part number, just OEM still. I will list below what I have so far. Looks like I will be going to the dealer for the hydro filter. Hope this helps someone else with one of these rascals.
Gehl CTL 60 filters.
Engine oil filter= NAPA gold#1344
Engine oil capacity=8 quarts.(I am using 15W 40 Rotella)
Fuel filter=NAPA gold#3397
Air cleaner, outer=NAPA gold#6489
Air cleaner, inner=NAPA gold#6490
Hydraulic=Gehl? Part#3V26.
The hydro filters are good for a long time anyway. Just go oem I guess.
Ken

CTL60

DREAM's post from 2010 regarding Gehl CTL60 part #'s was very helpful to me. I've updated it with the latest information as of today.
ItemGehl Part #Napa Part #Service interval (hrs)
Hydraulic oil return filter cartridge181607500
Engine oil filter182131NAPA Gold 1344250
Diesel engine oil10W30 Diesel engine oil (have 12 qt. on hand before starting)250
Fuel filter182130NAPA Gold 3397 (3399 should also work fine and might be easier to get on and off since it's taller)500
Air cleaner outer182132NAPA Gold 64891000
Air cleaner inner182133NAPA Gold 64901000
Inline hydraulic oil filter180324HFI D45A25GAV500
Inline hydraulic oil filter O-ring180554I absolutely cannot find this anywhere so re-used the existing one500
Travel motor gear oilSAE 90 E.P. API-GL-480W90 (have 2 qt. on hand)500
Grease (7 Zerks per side)Lithium EP-210
Hydraulic oilDiesel engine oil 10W30Have 20 gallons on hand1000
Coolant12 or 18 gallons. Manual is unclear.1000

OP
OP
D

DREAM

The hydro filters are good for a long time anyway. Just go oem I guess.
Ken
Just a quick correction. Engine oil capacity is 10 quarts, not 8. I got everything squared away except the hydraulic oil. It should be OK for a few more hours before I change it. Got out and cleared a little brush and some small trees this afternoon. It seems to do quite well. Much more ground contact than the Bobcat with tires I have used before. Took me about an hour to get used to the joysticks. Hard to get out of the habit of trying to steer with both hands, and can't figure out what to do with my feet.LOL! I guess that's why they put the footrests in there. The air conditioning is VERY nice. It's cool not to have all of the dust and little limbs piling up in there with you, but I think I will install a piece of expanded metal over the glass to keep it in one piece.