remove sheared off lug nuts

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

buytheplace

Hi Guys: Thanks for the neat info. well I'm working around my property with the machine this morning and the right rear wheel falls off. The lug nuts are sheared off from the machine hub. I use the machine with Loeggering tracks and with 2" spacers. I've sheered off the nuts holding the wheel to spacers before. I learned to tighten them every 4 hrs of operation. I've sheered the nuts that hold the spacers to the wheel before. Same story. But I've never sheared the nuts off of the hub before and I have no idea how to get them out of the hub?? Are they threaded in or just grooved in where it might be possible to punch them out?? Any idea what type of punch to use?? HELP!!! Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I would call your dealer on Monday and speak to the service department. I think they are pressed in as my manual offers then as spare parts, so they must be able to be removed!!.
Good luck with it!

radtad

I have had some damaged by the tire guys not tightening the lug nuts after a tire service. On my 863 they are just pressed in like on a truck hub. Just use a punch and large hammer to remove them. I have tried new studs from the auto parts store, but did not like them, and purchased some from the Bobcat dealer. I think about $ 1.35 ea. Putting them in can be a challenge. I actually used a bottle jack between the frame and new stud and pressed it in from the back of the hub. Worked good. Just make sure they are seated all the way and touch up the torque on the nuts after a few hours.

skidboy

I have had some damaged by the tire guys not tightening the lug nuts after a tire service. On my 863 they are just pressed in like on a truck hub. Just use a punch and large hammer to remove them. I have tried new studs from the auto parts store, but did not like them, and purchased some from the Bobcat dealer. I think about $ 1.35 ea. Putting them in can be a challenge. I actually used a bottle jack between the frame and new stud and pressed it in from the back of the hub. Worked good. Just make sure they are seated all the way and touch up the torque on the nuts after a few hours.
As stated the studs are generally very tight to punch out and to install.I find that if you start the stud in the hub,lubricate the thread with some heavy gear oil,fit a bigger nut OVER the thread, start the wheel nut on the stud but back to front. I then use a rattle gun and tap the other end of the stud at the same time and it makes easy work of fitting studs (with axles still in machine)

Fishfiles

This is a method I use to get the new lugs into the hub , take a lug and two lug nuts , screw the two nuts onto the lug till they touch one another , weld them together all the way around , then weld a nut ( 5/8 fine thread fits mine) that will screw onto a slide hammer onto the end of the lug nuts , push the lug into the hole and screw the welded nuts to it and slide hammer it into place , when it is only one or two lugs I can get my hand behind the wheel with out taking the wheel off and change the lug , if it were the whole set I would remove the rim -----I use the same nut set up for the puller that pulls the hub off as my puller has threaded bars , it screws onto the lug then the puller and i have never pulled the threads off yet , but be sure to do 2 nuts so you get a full thread fishfiles

OP
OP
B

buytheplace

Hey Guys: Thanks for all the suggestions. I got them out by using a 3/8" flat punch and a mini mall hammer. If you hit the center of the broken stud 5 or so times, it will break loose and come out. Then as the other guys suggested, lub the grooves of the new stuc before inserting it into the rear of the hub and gently tab it with the mini mall to get it in place and then just pull it through the hub by using the nut to pull it through. Thanks

Latest posts