Recently purchased John Deere 317 wheeled skid steer aux hydraulic question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JDskid317

Anybody familiar with the John Deere 317 skid steer:
I recently bought this machine and do not have any experience with skid steers. This is not a high flow machine. The guy that I bought it from used the machine only for digging he claims. He never used the auxiliary hydraulics. Last weekend I lifted the cab and cleaned out the belly of the machine very well. I freed up the cable going to the joystick for the auxiliary hydraulics. I am looking to purchase a grapple bucket for moving brush. What is the process to use the auxiliary hydraulics on the skid steer? The right handle tilts in and I can hear the pump making a different noise, and there is a switch up on the control panel. There are no buttons or rockers that I can find that would control open/close for something like a grapple bucket. I think tilting the handle in will engage the hydraulics for something like an auger or broom. But I don't see any way to control an on/off or open/close function like a grapple bucket.

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20230312_153942152.jpg
    PXL_20230312_153942152.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 126

[email protected]

Anybody familiar with the John Deere 317 skid steer:
I recently bought this machine and do not have any experience with skid steers. This is not a high flow machine. The guy that I bought it from used the machine only for digging he claims. He never used the auxiliary hydraulics. Last weekend I lifted the cab and cleaned out the belly of the machine very well. I freed up the cable going to the joystick for the auxiliary hydraulics. I am looking to purchase a grapple bucket for moving brush. What is the process to use the auxiliary hydraulics on the skid steer? The right handle tilts in and I can hear the pump making a different noise, and there is a switch up on the control panel. There are no buttons or rockers that I can find that would control open/close for something like a grapple bucket. I think tilting the handle in will engage the hydraulics for something like an auger or broom. But I don't see any way to control an on/off or open/close function like a grapple bucket.

Thanks

smelt240

On the 318 series JD's I've ran there is a roller/ rocker thumb switch on the right handle that operates the aux function. Roll it forward to close, back to open the grapple. There is a trigger on that handle that "locks" the function on, for something like a snowblower... The switch on the control panel is the override, that allows you to leave the seat with the aux hydraulics engaged. It sounds as though your machine has a mechanical linkage setup though. Good luck, finding info on these machines is tough at best....

Edited for additional words...

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JDskid317

Thank you all for the responses. I bought the grapple bucket. My grapples open and close by folding the right handle in and out.

TonyCT322

You are correct. I have a CT322 (tracks) that functions the same. You can swap the hoses so it opens/closes to your liking. Right or up for me is open. Left or down is closed. You can push it all the way down to lock it in place. This is how I run my brush mower. The solenoid is tied to the same port as you right foot pedal (tilt control). You may notice a lack of response or nosing down while the aux valve is in use. Returning the handle to the center/neutral position for the aux control will return full flow to the tilt cylinder. You will get a lot of use out of the grapple. It is my most used attachment and you will be amazed at the size of trees you can move. On the handle is a little lock knob. Mine was froze and took a lot of WD40. It is nice to be able to lock it when doing dirt work. Be careful when raising the cab, the knob will catch on the floor panel and can pull the steering out of alignment.

Finally, watch your hoses. They need to be long enough for full reach and tilt. Mine then were too long when down and kept getting ran over. I tried zip ties and bungees and finally bought a spring mounted hose clamp from Skid Steer Nation Hydraulic Hose Saver $85.00. Cheaper than new hoses and works well. You will need the diameter of your hoses when ordering. I swapped a longer bolt and lock nut and used an existing hole on the grapple.

OP
OP
J

JDskid317

You are correct. I have a CT322 (tracks) that functions the same. You can swap the hoses so it opens/closes to your liking. Right or up for me is open. Left or down is closed. You can push it all the way down to lock it in place. This is how I run my brush mower. The solenoid is tied to the same port as you right foot pedal (tilt control). You may notice a lack of response or nosing down while the aux valve is in use. Returning the handle to the center/neutral position for the aux control will return full flow to the tilt cylinder. You will get a lot of use out of the grapple. It is my most used attachment and you will be amazed at the size of trees you can move. On the handle is a little lock knob. Mine was froze and took a lot of WD40. It is nice to be able to lock it when doing dirt work. Be careful when raising the cab, the knob will catch on the floor panel and can pull the steering out of alignment.

Finally, watch your hoses. They need to be long enough for full reach and tilt. Mine then were too long when down and kept getting ran over. I tried zip ties and bungees and finally bought a spring mounted hose clamp from Skid Steer Nation Hydraulic Hose Saver $85.00. Cheaper than new hoses and works well. You will need the diameter of your hoses when ordering. I swapped a longer bolt and lock nut and used an existing hole on the grapple.
Great reply. Exactly what I was looking for. I am running metal tracks on my machine and I notice the hoses to the grapple bucket rubbing occasionally. Can you post a photo of your hose saver spring? Have never seen this

brdgbldr

Here is a link to a hose spring that I use:

TonyCT322

Here is a picture from their website. I went with this one due to the longer spring. It gave me more mounting options and clamps to the hose which controls the slack.

1691684800845.png