Rebuilding a Drive Motor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

patrickg

Just noticed I should have posted this in General Repair: I took a drive motor off my skidsteer and took it to a hydraulics shop to get it fixed. They said that I should just buy a new one from them. Is it impossible for me to rebuild it myself. I am mechanically inclined and I can get a machine shop to do the things I can't do myself. I am trying to get my machine up and running again as cheaply as I can. Things are pretty tight right now and paying over 1000 dollars for a new drive motor is going to hurt. The skidsteer worked, but one side was a little bit slow. I have a local parts place called Motion Industries and I imagine they can get me any part I will need. I am open to suggestions and I appreciate any advice.

thetool

Any inclined person can rebuild a drive motor. Did they open the motor before they tried to sell you a new one?
If your expensive parts are okay, shafts, housings, bearings and such, then you get a seal kit and have at it. If you've never done it before, it helps to have a manual or some kind of instruction, because with a motor, you pretty much tear it down and if you can't remmber how it goes back together, you're screwed. Some motors have to be "timed", which is done during reassembly.
I remember your other post that this was a Case machine. So if your dealer is decent, they should give you photocopies of the manual pages dealing with the motor rebuild. Get the pages, look them over and see if you can do it.
Also check around on the net for other sources for your motor.
Are you sure it's your motor, anyway? Have you eliminated linkage and pump problems?

Tazza

Staff member
Any inclined person can rebuild a drive motor. Did they open the motor before they tried to sell you a new one?
If your expensive parts are okay, shafts, housings, bearings and such, then you get a seal kit and have at it. If you've never done it before, it helps to have a manual or some kind of instruction, because with a motor, you pretty much tear it down and if you can't remmber how it goes back together, you're screwed. Some motors have to be "timed", which is done during reassembly.
I remember your other post that this was a Case machine. So if your dealer is decent, they should give you photocopies of the manual pages dealing with the motor rebuild. Get the pages, look them over and see if you can do it.
Also check around on the net for other sources for your motor.
Are you sure it's your motor, anyway? Have you eliminated linkage and pump problems?
Depending on how urgent you are for this, i actually took pictures of the re-sealing of my drive motors on a 763. I have all the pictures but not the time to write it all up. If you wanted to see what to expect inside a geroler style motor send me an e-mail and i'll send the piccies to you. I can give a general explination too. I have a "how to" to do for a drive pump too....

OP
OP
P

patrickg

Depending on how urgent you are for this, i actually took pictures of the re-sealing of my drive motors on a 763. I have all the pictures but not the time to write it all up. If you wanted to see what to expect inside a geroler style motor send me an e-mail and i'll send the piccies to you. I can give a general explination too. I have a "how to" to do for a drive pump too....
I appreciate the helpful responses. I would love to look at the pictures of your resealing job. I have looked all over the internet and I was not able to find pictures of a broken down drive pump. I eliminated everything other than the drive motor. The linkages, hoses, and pump are all fine.

OP
OP
P

patrickg

I appreciate the helpful responses. I would love to look at the pictures of your resealing job. I have looked all over the internet and I was not able to find pictures of a broken down drive pump. I eliminated everything other than the drive motor. The linkages, hoses, and pump are all fine.
If you don't have time to write it up, I think just seeing the pictures would be sufficient enough for me to understand what I am looking at. I assume you can email me since you are a moderator. If not, let me know and I will give you my email address.

Tazza

Staff member
If you don't have time to write it up, I think just seeing the pictures would be sufficient enough for me to understand what I am looking at. I assume you can email me since you are a moderator. If not, let me know and I will give you my email address.
I don't actualy have access to e-mail addresses, Geoffrey has that but not Ken or Myself. If you send me an e-mail i'll get the pictures for you, it may take a day or 2 as they are still on the camera.
"taz38sup at yahoo.com.au" the at = @ of course

Latest posts