Question.......

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

thetool

Shane - HEY, i have a 751 with a pug!!! :)
Its a really nice machine after i got it running again, but the engine parts... omg they are rather expensive, Kubota all the way for me now.
I do like the new avitar :) and we all do enjoy a bit of *messing around* it keeps things less serious.
Yeah i know you have a 751 pug tazza-
My statement dosen't apply to Aussies. Those guys are so used to doing so much with so little for so long they are now qualified to do almost anything with absolutely nothing....=). (that's a borrowed line, but I love it)
But seriously, If you'd known then what you know now, would you still buy the 751 pug?

OP
OP
P

perry

My statement dosen't apply to Aussies. Those guys are so used to doing so much with so little for so long they are now qualified to do almost anything with absolutely nothing....=). (that's a borrowed line, but I love it)
But seriously, If you'd known then what you know now, would you still buy the 751 pug?
Fish. the 'don't likes' will work, no sense wasting time on a problem machine.

Tazza

Staff member
Honestly i was VERY lucky! The machine had caught fire before i got it, so the engine was running up till then. The only work it has needed was a rocker cover gasket, i had to clean the injectors as they had water in the tap off lines after the hoses were burnt off, i did all that myself. New timing belt and idlers. Other than that, it didn't need anything! it still needs an upper timing belt cover, but it works without it.
The engine runs SO very smooth, starts easily too. If the engine was dead that would have been another story all together. Parts are just insane, not great availability. If you live in the UK the XUD9 engines are more popular, so parts would be easier and cheaper to get.
Personally i would only want a machine with a Kubota, Detuz are good i know but again price $$$$. I have a source for aftermarket Kubota parts, so that makes Kubota even more atractive.

skidsteer.ca

Hey Shane were kool. It is hard to figure out what some people mean on a discussion board especially when you don't know them. I will tell you though I am the same as my nic Nobull. If I have an issue I will let you know and you won't have to figure it out :). But I have too much to do to come on boards and argue and insult people.
Didn't I see moderator under your name for awhile tonight?
Great write up on the different models by the way. I am sure it will be a asset for people searching for info before purchasing.
I agree with you about the alternator on the 763. I had to tighten and replace the belt on mine and realized that the through bolt on the bottom was seized to the alternator casing. I was able to move the bolt and alternator to tighten the belt but I don't know how I will get it out if I have to replace the alternator. Any idea's?
Brian
I'd try heating the boss on the alternator that the seized bolt goes through. 600 or 700 degrees will make it expand considerably. Or just leave it until the mondo dies and cut it out with a zip cut on a makita :) grinder. Your going to throw that Mondo alt in the bush anyway, once you learn a Delco will bolt right up .

"same as my nic Nobull."
So that where that comes from.... Always kinda wondered how come Blue Barn Farms had "Nobull", thought maybe you were into AI or something...
Ken

nobull1

Brian
I'd try heating the boss on the alternator that the seized bolt goes through. 600 or 700 degrees will make it expand considerably. Or just leave it until the mondo dies and cut it out with a zip cut on a makita :) grinder. Your going to throw that Mondo alt in the bush anyway, once you learn a Delco will bolt right up .

"same as my nic Nobull."
So that where that comes from.... Always kinda wondered how come Blue Barn Farms had "Nobull", thought maybe you were into AI or something...
Ken
You are correct about the nic. I used to do AI for years and obviously I didn't have bull. I was the no bull one. My nic is my first bull I kept and have used it for years on a bunch of sites. But as I said previously it is also my way of communicating. I don't "usually" play games and I am an in your face type of guy if crossed :). Part of my sig on other sites is " Nemo me impune lassit" which from Latin translates to "No one attacks me with impunity":) Scottish Motto
I think I will let the alternator stay in the bolt frozen mode until the alternator goes bad. When that happens I might try a little heat, as suggested and see what happens. If it doesn't come I guess I will just get the FBH, and that fixes all:) Oh I could use a Makita jig saw, reciprocating saw or 4"-4.5"-5" or 7" grinder:)

nobull1

You are correct about the nic. I used to do AI for years and obviously I didn't have bull. I was the no bull one. My nic is my first bull I kept and have used it for years on a bunch of sites. But as I said previously it is also my way of communicating. I don't "usually" play games and I am an in your face type of guy if crossed :). Part of my sig on other sites is " Nemo me impune lassit" which from Latin translates to "No one attacks me with impunity":) Scottish Motto
I think I will let the alternator stay in the bolt frozen mode until the alternator goes bad. When that happens I might try a little heat, as suggested and see what happens. If it doesn't come I guess I will just get the FBH, and that fixes all:) Oh I could use a Makita jig saw, reciprocating saw or 4"-4.5"-5" or 7" grinder:)
My nic on most other sites except this one :)

OP
OP
P

perry

My nic on most other sites except this one :)
You guys got me to thinking (could be bad), with a little rigging I may be able to move the alternator up front?, of course a different belt will be needed to turn the fan. There seems to be enough room to try?.

ddsprint

You guys got me to thinking (could be bad), with a little rigging I may be able to move the alternator up front?, of course a different belt will be needed to turn the fan. There seems to be enough room to try?.
hey nobull, the 743 is the best machine, most people don't know they have never operated one, i have had 743 since the early ninetys, and i can say from a operator standpoint and i have run 853s and 753s and 763s, the biggest difference other than obviously some power but bigger than that, right after the 743s they changed enegines around and went from a standard u joint from enegine to pump to a belt drive, and i can tell u from a operator standpoint that a 743 with direct hookup as opposed to belt drive is a major difference in meaning that with a 743 u can backup a tad and stand them right up on there back wheels and turn around on 2 wheels, this can keep your mess to minumum, or in tight situation u can get out, i have found on these newer machines much more difficult to achieve simply because the belt stretches before it hooks up, they will just not stand up the same way, u might say who cares, if u run one of these all the time and don't have this option it is a let down, hope this helps,

thetool

hey nobull, the 743 is the best machine, most people don't know they have never operated one, i have had 743 since the early ninetys, and i can say from a operator standpoint and i have run 853s and 753s and 763s, the biggest difference other than obviously some power but bigger than that, right after the 743s they changed enegines around and went from a standard u joint from enegine to pump to a belt drive, and i can tell u from a operator standpoint that a 743 with direct hookup as opposed to belt drive is a major difference in meaning that with a 743 u can backup a tad and stand them right up on there back wheels and turn around on 2 wheels, this can keep your mess to minumum, or in tight situation u can get out, i have found on these newer machines much more difficult to achieve simply because the belt stretches before it hooks up, they will just not stand up the same way, u might say who cares, if u run one of these all the time and don't have this option it is a let down, hope this helps,
That sounds interesting about re-mounting the alternator. A/C compressors are mounted on the left, driven by an extra pulley on the flywheel, but I don't think the pulley exists on the F-series, and I'm having brain cramps thinking about direction of rotation.
I assume you're talking about pulling it straight backward, and keeping it on the right.

OP
OP
P

perry

That sounds interesting about re-mounting the alternator. A/C compressors are mounted on the left, driven by an extra pulley on the flywheel, but I don't think the pulley exists on the F-series, and I'm having brain cramps thinking about direction of rotation.
I assume you're talking about pulling it straight backward, and keeping it on the right.
Yes,but on my 853 that would be the left side. I would need an extra bolt on pulley for the dedicated alt. drive. No big deal but the alt. wiring would need extending as well. Anyone know where I might find kubota pulley's?.
I'll look into those small alternators, a local alt./starter repair shop could probably recommend a close match in output.

thetool

Yes,but on my 853 that would be the left side. I would need an extra bolt on pulley for the dedicated alt. drive. No big deal but the alt. wiring would need extending as well. Anyone know where I might find kubota pulley's?.
I'll look into those small alternators, a local alt./starter repair shop could probably recommend a close match in output.
I was in 763 mode when I was writing about the A/C compressors.
I thought the 853 had an Isuzu? I'm lost now.....=)

Fishfiles

I was in 763 mode when I was writing about the A/C compressors.
I thought the 853 had an Isuzu? I'm lost now.....=)
I talked bad about the 442 Bobcat and she came back and bite me , first off neither of the two hoods will stay up on their own , she eats the gas fill shocks like candy , so pieces of wood holding them up makes you fell like working under a loaded gilutine , the muffler is held to the bell housing with three bolts and to the head with two , 3 of the 5 bolts sherred off two in the bell housing and one in the head , to further complicate matters , the muffler had been welded to the exhaust pipe which goes to the turbo by the dealer as it had broke off a couple of times during it's warranty , once it started a fire and melted some hoses , wiring and a plastic juction box , and the bolts holding the exhaust flange were so frozen they were going to break off , had to float the muffler in air still hooked up , one bolt broke flush with the bell housing and the other broke flush with the back of the motor , meaning it was 3/4 of and inch recessed in the bellhousig , I was thinking that I would probally have to pull the pump and bell housing to get access to drill , ez out or rethread the hole , lucky I was , I had bought a set of high quality (Navy shipyard ) left handed bits with ez outs off E Bay from a guy called Alomo Traders who gets a lot of navy stuff and was able to drill all the broken piece out without taking out the pretty heavy pump , I had to add hydraulic fluid to the machine as I had to break a few hoses loose and got reminded of how un-user friendly the 442 really is , putting hydraulic oil in it is a joke , it's comfortable to operate but hard to work on , I truely hate the 442 , reminds me of a woman who was good to look at , fun to be with but high maintance and a .itch when things went bad

Tazza

Staff member
I talked bad about the 442 Bobcat and she came back and bite me , first off neither of the two hoods will stay up on their own , she eats the gas fill shocks like candy , so pieces of wood holding them up makes you fell like working under a loaded gilutine , the muffler is held to the bell housing with three bolts and to the head with two , 3 of the 5 bolts sherred off two in the bell housing and one in the head , to further complicate matters , the muffler had been welded to the exhaust pipe which goes to the turbo by the dealer as it had broke off a couple of times during it's warranty , once it started a fire and melted some hoses , wiring and a plastic juction box , and the bolts holding the exhaust flange were so frozen they were going to break off , had to float the muffler in air still hooked up , one bolt broke flush with the bell housing and the other broke flush with the back of the motor , meaning it was 3/4 of and inch recessed in the bellhousig , I was thinking that I would probally have to pull the pump and bell housing to get access to drill , ez out or rethread the hole , lucky I was , I had bought a set of high quality (Navy shipyard ) left handed bits with ez outs off E Bay from a guy called Alomo Traders who gets a lot of navy stuff and was able to drill all the broken piece out without taking out the pretty heavy pump , I had to add hydraulic fluid to the machine as I had to break a few hoses loose and got reminded of how un-user friendly the 442 really is , putting hydraulic oil in it is a joke , it's comfortable to operate but hard to work on , I truely hate the 442 , reminds me of a woman who was good to look at , fun to be with but high maintance and a .itch when things went bad
The fun of breaking off bolts, especially when its in a area you simply can't get to!!! been there done that before. Any areas that get hot are the worse for this, exhaust manifold and exhaust bolts 99% of the time cause trouble. You start removing them an done feels a little tight and you think, just a little more and.... SNAP *enter bad words here* then you spend the next hour drilling the broken bolt out, after spending 3 hrs gaining access to it!

thebobcatguy

Like anything, it all depends on what you are planning on doing with it. For close quarter work I would recommend the 743B or S130 for its short wheel base and easier turning. For general use the 763 or s150/s160 (turbo model) would be good. If you are doing allot of truck loading the 773T or S185 is ok. But the S205 is the best mid sized machine available for this and it has plenty of extra power to run any attachments. My experience stays with the mid sized machines because I find them better suited for landscape work, but for larger construction projects the large frame machines may be better. I will agree with others that you should stay away with anything that has SJC. Electric over hydraulic controls are a nightmare. 743 S130 S205 T140 322 323

OP
OP
P

perry

Like anything, it all depends on what you are planning on doing with it. For close quarter work I would recommend the 743B or S130 for its short wheel base and easier turning. For general use the 763 or s150/s160 (turbo model) would be good. If you are doing allot of truck loading the 773T or S185 is ok. But the S205 is the best mid sized machine available for this and it has plenty of extra power to run any attachments. My experience stays with the mid sized machines because I find them better suited for landscape work, but for larger construction projects the large frame machines may be better. I will agree with others that you should stay away with anything that has SJC. Electric over hydraulic controls are a nightmare. 743 S130 S205 T140 322 323
My business is 'general', no telling who will call or what type of skid steer services they might need?, currently have 10 attachents that will hopefully cover most all services. From what I've learned here, the 763 would best suit my needs as a general all around machine.