Question regarding tires and rims for my Bobcat 440B

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Willgates351

Hope someone out there can help me with a question I have reading the type of rims I can put on my mini skid street bobcat 440b. I've been looking at the photos of the 440b's that are on the site, and I noticed that there wheels are a bit wider then mine. I did some research, and came up with the possibility that people with this type of bobcat are going with a 23x8.50-12 rims size, oppose to the 5.70-12 that comes of the machine. Please correct me if I'm wrong..... If I correct, my question is this: will the rear rims off either a John Deere or Cub Cadet [witch are both 23x8.50-12 inch rims, with five (5) bolt setups] work on my 440b? Didn't really know it they were the same, or could support the load of the machine. could someone please educate me on matter?

Farmallh51

I can't speak to the wheels of a John Deere or Cub Cadet, search this site for a post by SkidRoe as I remember he modified wheels for his 440b. I own a 450 and owned a 440b in the past. Both use the same rims, as for the tires and rims 36" wide machines (buckets) use the 23x5.70-12 narrow tires and rims. the 42" wide machines use the 23x8.5-12 tires and rims, also called flotation tires. Rims are just under $100 from Bobcat and will fit all 440, 440b, 443, 450,453, 463, and S70 machines. hope that helps.

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

I can't speak to the wheels of a John Deere or Cub Cadet, search this site for a post by SkidRoe as I remember he modified wheels for his 440b. I own a 450 and owned a 440b in the past. Both use the same rims, as for the tires and rims 36" wide machines (buckets) use the 23x5.70-12 narrow tires and rims. the 42" wide machines use the 23x8.5-12 tires and rims, also called flotation tires. Rims are just under $100 from Bobcat and will fit all 440, 440b, 443, 450,453, 463, and S70 machines. hope that helps.
I'm not sure. Are you saying the 23x8.50-12 rims and tiers with fit on my 440b?

Farmallh51

I'm not sure. Are you saying the 23x8.50-12 rims and tiers with fit on my 440b?
Yes, the difference is the width of the tires and rims and the bucket width you have. if your bucket is 36" you would probably want the narrow tires and rims but if it is 42" you can use narrow or wide tires and rims but the wide tires and rims are the normal size and don't cut into the ground as much.

Farmallh51

Yes, the difference is the width of the tires and rims and the bucket width you have. if your bucket is 36" you would probably want the narrow tires and rims but if it is 42" you can use narrow or wide tires and rims but the wide tires and rims are the normal size and don't cut into the ground as much.
I am not sure I am clear but Bobcat makes 2 rim sizes for the 440b, other makers of rims in the same size may not make a rim that will fit. If i recall correctly SkidRoe modified rims for his 440b. Search and see his restoration work on his 440b to see what rims he used.

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

I am not sure I am clear but Bobcat makes 2 rim sizes for the 440b, other makers of rims in the same size may not make a rim that will fit. If i recall correctly SkidRoe modified rims for his 440b. Search and see his restoration work on his 440b to see what rims he used.
Will do, and thanks...

SkidRoe

Will do, and thanks...
Here is the link:
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=31091
Just to give you an update on these, the lighter 2 rims have both failed. The lug nuts eventually pulled through the rim dishes. If you are going to attempt to build your own, get rims with 11 gauge dishes i.e. Jacobsen rims, etc.
Also, Bobcat has options on wheel rims. If your parts guy looks up the rim part number for a 440b, the price will be horrendous. Have him check pricing on the same rim for a 453, 463, or an S70. While they might look a little different they will all fit.
When my rims failed, I ended up going with new ones from Bobcat. They are about $100 (CAD) a piece. Not super cheap, but when you need a rim....
Also, a little tidbit of information, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have a failed wheel and you need to get running quickly, a 12", 5-bolt trailer wheel will fit in a pinch.
Thames%20Centre-20150523-00068.jpg

Cheers - SR

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

Here is the link:
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=31091
Just to give you an update on these, the lighter 2 rims have both failed. The lug nuts eventually pulled through the rim dishes. If you are going to attempt to build your own, get rims with 11 gauge dishes i.e. Jacobsen rims, etc.
Also, Bobcat has options on wheel rims. If your parts guy looks up the rim part number for a 440b, the price will be horrendous. Have him check pricing on the same rim for a 453, 463, or an S70. While they might look a little different they will all fit.
When my rims failed, I ended up going with new ones from Bobcat. They are about $100 (CAD) a piece. Not super cheap, but when you need a rim....
Also, a little tidbit of information, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have a failed wheel and you need to get running quickly, a 12", 5-bolt trailer wheel will fit in a pinch.

Cheers - SR
That's what I was noticing, the back rims off a john deer 110 tracker looked like they would work12x7 23x8.50-12 but I was unsure because they had 12x7 in front of the number. So you're saying don't try that, right. Also, I found a B&S 18hp motor that looks just like my Kohler KT-17. Will this drop right into my 440b, or do you know?

SkidRoe

That's what I was noticing, the back rims off a john deer 110 tracker looked like they would work12x7 23x8.50-12 but I was unsure because they had 12x7 in front of the number. So you're saying don't try that, right. Also, I found a B&S 18hp motor that looks just like my Kohler KT-17. Will this drop right into my 440b, or do you know?
Might fit. I would hold out for a Honda, or in my case, a Chonda. Check out the Small Engine Warehouse. They do repower kits for lots of machines, that's where I took my inspiration from for my repower. Is your Kohler shot? You say it is a KT-17? Ours had an 18 hp Magnum in it originally. Cheers - SR

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

Might fit. I would hold out for a Honda, or in my case, a Chonda. Check out the Small Engine Warehouse. They do repower kits for lots of machines, that's where I took my inspiration from for my repower. Is your Kohler shot? You say it is a KT-17? Ours had an 18 hp Magnum in it originally. Cheers - SR
No, it was rebuilt and hasn't been run until i got it. It runs, but the coil I bough of ebay keeps losing power when it worms up. I was under the impression the it should of come the a magnum 18, but the kt-17 was there when I got it.

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

No, it was rebuilt and hasn't been run until i got it. It runs, but the coil I bough of ebay keeps losing power when it worms up. I was under the impression the it should of come the a magnum 18, but the kt-17 was there when I got it.
I picked the 18hp B&S up today for $225 so even if it doesn't fix, it was still a sweet deal, right???

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

Just added pic of 18hp B&S to my photos.. "440B Wills World". What do you think?

SkidRoe

Just added pic of 18hp B&S to my photos.. "440B Wills World". What do you think?
Might be worth a shot. IMHO, Briggs flat twins are a far sight better than Kohler flat twins. The Magnum was always hard starting and underpowered. As long as the mounting holes and the crankshaft height are close, it's worth a shot. Pulling the motor on an air cooled gasser is a pretty quick job: nothing ventured, nothing gained. But I got to tell you, the torque of the v-twin is a forced to be reckoned with...

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

Might be worth a shot. IMHO, Briggs flat twins are a far sight better than Kohler flat twins. The Magnum was always hard starting and underpowered. As long as the mounting holes and the crankshaft height are close, it's worth a shot. Pulling the motor on an air cooled gasser is a pretty quick job: nothing ventured, nothing gained. But I got to tell you, the torque of the v-twin is a forced to be reckoned with...
Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how things works out.

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

Hey Skidroe, I was looking on ebay at some teeth to put on my 40" bucket, what size do I need to get? I realized that the ones I was watching were 12" long, so I know that's for a much bigger bucket. I want to make a tooth bar that I can attach when I need to do some digging.

SkidRoe

Hey Skidroe, I was looking on ebay at some teeth to put on my 40" bucket, what size do I need to get? I realized that the ones I was watching were 12" long, so I know that's for a much bigger bucket. I want to make a tooth bar that I can attach when I need to do some digging.
You can't really make a tooth bar out of those type of teeth. You could drill your bucket and bolt them on. I would look for something a little smaller.

OP
OP
Willgates351

Willgates351

Here is what I use: http://www.augerteethonline.com/store/product.aspx/productId/1484/Bobcat-Bolt-On-Tooth/
Thanks, that's another great site that you've schooled me to Skidroe. I like the tooth bar type, I'd like to be able to remove them when I wanna just dig... The prices are nice too :)

Latest posts