Question about moving a CTL

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

lesgawlik

I was wondering about moving a dead-in-the-water CTL. Taking the tracks off is not really that bad. It can be done in the field with a few 4x4's and the use of the bucket to jack up the back, and then the front. At least that's what the videos show. What about removing the tracks and dragging the CTL on the idlers? If the surface is soft, you might have to put wood underneath, since the contact area would be relatively small. However, on a hard surface, I would suspect it would roll pretty well. Is there any way to move an inoperative CTL?

Tazza

Staff member
I have heard about that with a wheeled machine, but I can't see how that would work with tracks.
Kinda makes it hard..... I don't even think you can cheat by opening lines to the travel motors. Brute force and a hose to make it slippery

7LBSSMALLIE

call a roll back they can winch it on . if you got lift and tilt, where does the issue lie. no drive either side would be strange to say the least,

OP
OP
L

lesgawlik

call a roll back they can winch it on . if you got lift and tilt, where does the issue lie. no drive either side would be strange to say the least,
My question was hypothetical. I had a track start to come apart last week. It came off the sprockets, and the metal lugs started separating from the rubber. In other words, the rubber "bands" started to come apart. One of the metal lugs actually turned "inside out" so that the drive dogs were on the outside of the track. I let the grease out, worked the track on and pumped it up again. I only have to go 100' to get it on the truck, but I haven't tried that yet. I'm going to send it for new tracks. While I was putting the track back on, I was thinking about what I would do if the track disintegrated completely. I thought, the rollers should roll. The tracks are not that hard to get off. If the surface were hard enough, I though it just might be possible to move it just on the rollers.

Tazza

Staff member
My question was hypothetical. I had a track start to come apart last week. It came off the sprockets, and the metal lugs started separating from the rubber. In other words, the rubber "bands" started to come apart. One of the metal lugs actually turned "inside out" so that the drive dogs were on the outside of the track. I let the grease out, worked the track on and pumped it up again. I only have to go 100' to get it on the truck, but I haven't tried that yet. I'm going to send it for new tracks. While I was putting the track back on, I was thinking about what I would do if the track disintegrated completely. I thought, the rollers should roll. The tracks are not that hard to get off. If the surface were hard enough, I though it just might be possible to move it just on the rollers.
If a track was to come off totally, you may need to replace it in the field. Not sure the damage that may be caused of you dragged it without track on it....
You were lucky that you got it running again and on the truck.

OP
OP
L

lesgawlik

If a track was to come off totally, you may need to replace it in the field. Not sure the damage that may be caused of you dragged it without track on it....
You were lucky that you got it running again and on the truck.
Tazza, do you think the machine would be damaged if pulled without the tracks? I can see where the pull would have to be straight, since the idler rollers don't ever see side loads, but the weight of the machine is always on the idlers. I would think that the machine would easily rest on the idlers, and that it would move relatively freely without the tracks.

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, do you think the machine would be damaged if pulled without the tracks? I can see where the pull would have to be straight, since the idler rollers don't ever see side loads, but the weight of the machine is always on the idlers. I would think that the machine would easily rest on the idlers, and that it would move relatively freely without the tracks.
No side loads are true, but i guess running they get side load too. The possible issue i see is say you hit a rock, you will get a lot more weight on one idler than shared across multiple ones and the drive sprockets.
Again, i have never had to do this so i'm just guessing.

Latest posts