Propylene glycol vs ethylene glycol

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

HMILLER

My 1996 853 has a placard in the engine bay stating that the only approved antifreeze is propylene glycol and to never mix or use ethylene glycol. All the antifreeze at O'Rielly's, for instance, is ethylene glycol and it is supposed to be compatible with any type of antifreeze or system. My question is, is that placard still applicable? Will there be any damage to anything if the entire system is full of ethylene glycol? Is this just another "use only bobcat approved supplies from your bobcat dealer", or is there some real reason for the placard? All comments will be appreciated. thanks.

[email protected]

from what i understand is that you can use pretty much any antifrieeze in any engine (for the most part, i'm sure there are exceptions) but the issue is that you cannot mix them because they counter-act each other. i wouldn't mess around.

OP
OP
H

HMILLER

from what i understand is that you can use pretty much any antifrieeze in any engine (for the most part, i'm sure there are exceptions) but the issue is that you cannot mix them because they counter-act each other. i wouldn't mess around.
My system is currently drained because we've pulled the engine and hydrostatic pump assembly. When I refill it, I'll probably use the more common ethylene, as long as it doesn't have any affect on the radiator or system. From what I've investigated it should be fine, but I wanted to run this pass the forum in case there is something special in the cooling system (mechanically) that would be adversely affected. Thx for your input.

Bobcatdan

My system is currently drained because we've pulled the engine and hydrostatic pump assembly. When I refill it, I'll probably use the more common ethylene, as long as it doesn't have any affect on the radiator or system. From what I've investigated it should be fine, but I wanted to run this pass the forum in case there is something special in the cooling system (mechanically) that would be adversely affected. Thx for your input.
You can put green back in it no problem. Only reason they use propylene is it is environmently friendly if spilled.