Prime Mover L1300 A Work In Progress

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

j.carter855

My dad picked up a prime mover l1300 without an engine, I think the original engine was a 4 cilinder diesel - maybe 3 cilinder. he found the original engine, but the shaft is broken so he has mounted a gas 4 cilinder to the mover. the problem now is it wont move(some times it will run a little way's) mostly it just spins in a circle. the bucket takes about 15 min's to lift 1 foot in the air also. we're not sure what the problem is so Im coming to you guy's for some advice. any help would be very much appreciated. Is there a valve that could be stuck inside the pumps. I'll post some pic's tomorrow. thanks guy's!!

Tazza

Staff member
Is the oil foamy?
It sounds like your hydraulic pump may be a bit sad too. You may need to start taking some pressure readings, see where you are at.

OP
OP
J

j.carter855

Is the oil foamy?
It sounds like your hydraulic pump may be a bit sad too. You may need to start taking some pressure readings, see where you are at.
Hi Sir, I don't think It's foamy or getting hot. really not that skilled in this field so your ideas will be very welcome. me and my dad think it may be a blockage in the hydraulic's - just don't know where. I'll look into the pressure readings for sure and if I can I'll post the info asap. Thank you Sir.

OP
OP
J

j.carter855

Hi Sir, I don't think It's foamy or getting hot. really not that skilled in this field so your ideas will be very welcome. me and my dad think it may be a blockage in the hydraulic's - just don't know where. I'll look into the pressure readings for sure and if I can I'll post the info asap. Thank you Sir.
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/jcarter855v1/PRIMEMOVERL1300001.jpg http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/jcarter855v1/PRIMEMOVERL1300005.jpg http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/jcarter855v1/PRIMEMOVERL1300002.jpg sorry guy's cant seen to get them to show up, I cut off the also but nothing comes up.
[IMG]http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/jcarter855v1/PRIMEMOVERL1300001.jpg
PRIMEMOVERL1300005.jpg

PRIMEMOVERL1300002.jpg

Tazza

Staff member
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/jcarter855v1/PRIMEMOVERL1300001.jpg http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/jcarter855v1/PRIMEMOVERL1300005.jpg http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/jcarter855v1/PRIMEMOVERL1300002.jpg sorry guy's cant seen to get them to show up, I cut off the
Its always possible its a blockage of some kind, but it will have needed to get in there some how... Its not that common for things like that to get in.
I assume it has aux hydraulics? as it has three pedals?
Hook up a 3,000 psi pressure gauge to a quick coupler and operate it, see what pressure you get. If its very low, its either the relief or the gear pump is worn. As its a drive issue not just lift, its a high possibility the pump is the issue.

OP
OP
J

j.carter855

Its always possible its a blockage of some kind, but it will have needed to get in there some how... Its not that common for things like that to get in.
I assume it has aux hydraulics? as it has three pedals?
Hook up a 3,000 psi pressure gauge to a quick coupler and operate it, see what pressure you get. If its very low, its either the relief or the gear pump is worn. As its a drive issue not just lift, its a high possibility the pump is the issue.
@ Tazza Thanks, hes working on it now so I'll pass the info along to him now. Yes Sir, that is the aux as far as I can tell.

OP
OP
J

j.carter855

@ Tazza Thanks, hes working on it now so I'll pass the info along to him now. Yes Sir, that is the aux as far as I can tell.
ok, hes gonna try to do the pressure test but there is not a quick hookup on the machine. the lines run to the rear for the aux peddle but I need to get a better look at where they actully go back there. ok the middle peddle seems to control the bucket tilt but when he pushes it in the motor stalls. and something grones(the pump I think) we got the bucket up about 3 ft which took about 5 min's

Tazza

Staff member
ok, hes gonna try to do the pressure test but there is not a quick hookup on the machine. the lines run to the rear for the aux peddle but I need to get a better look at where they actully go back there. ok the middle peddle seems to control the bucket tilt but when he pushes it in the motor stalls. and something grones(the pump I think) we got the bucket up about 3 ft which took about 5 min's
Essentially line to a cylinder will also work for the pressure test. As long as it is after the pump and relief valve.
Just how much power does the lift have? can you try and hook the bucket under a heavy object and lift it? does it move up at all? This is a very crude pressure test, if it lifts you probably have a good relief, but a bad pump allowing most of the fluid to by-pass.

OP
OP
J

j.carter855

Essentially line to a cylinder will also work for the pressure test. As long as it is after the pump and relief valve.
Just how much power does the lift have? can you try and hook the bucket under a heavy object and lift it? does it move up at all? This is a very crude pressure test, if it lifts you probably have a good relief, but a bad pump allowing most of the fluid to by-pass.
I doubt it could lift anything but then again the bucket does stay up when its it raised. from what little I know I would say you are right about the pump. would that also affect foward and reverse movement of the machine, as in no movenent other than a spin every now and then. Thanks Sir

Tazza

Staff member
I doubt it could lift anything but then again the bucket does stay up when its it raised. from what little I know I would say you are right about the pump. would that also affect foward and reverse movement of the machine, as in no movenent other than a spin every now and then. Thanks Sir
If the pump is bad it would cause loss of drive. The hydraulic pump generally provides charge pressure to the drive pumps. If its not there they will be noisy and won't move. It could even cause damage depending on how little oil is flowing through.

OP
OP
J

j.carter855

If the pump is bad it would cause loss of drive. The hydraulic pump generally provides charge pressure to the drive pumps. If its not there they will be noisy and won't move. It could even cause damage depending on how little oil is flowing through.
He got it to move some today, not much but more than usual. lifted the bucket all the way then let it drop. that seemed to blow things out a little and caused it to move again but still at a turtles pace. The right side wants to go but the left wheels usually wont move much at all. he's gonna try again 2moro. Thanks again for all the help and ideas (we need em).

Tazza

Staff member
He got it to move some today, not much but more than usual. lifted the bucket all the way then let it drop. that seemed to blow things out a little and caused it to move again but still at a turtles pace. The right side wants to go but the left wheels usually wont move much at all. he's gonna try again 2moro. Thanks again for all the help and ideas (we need em).
With dropping the arms like that, you actually create some charge pressure, thats why you moved a little more. I'd start by removing the hydraulic pump and check it for wear. The bushings for the gears should be tight, if they are lose they will have worn the alloy housing, and it will need to be replaced.

OP
OP
J

j.carter855

With dropping the arms like that, you actually create some charge pressure, thats why you moved a little more. I'd start by removing the hydraulic pump and check it for wear. The bushings for the gears should be tight, if they are lose they will have worn the alloy housing, and it will need to be replaced.
we figured that was gonna have to happen sooner than later. I think hes dreading that and trying to avoid it. he seems to think its just something stuck like a valve or the like.

skidsteer.ca

we figured that was gonna have to happen sooner than later. I think hes dreading that and trying to avoid it. he seems to think its just something stuck like a valve or the like.
Tazza is bang on on dropping the boom creates charge pressure, if that helps your drive then you either have a
1 bad gear pump,
2 a charge pressure valve that is stuck up and not maintaining charge pressure in the return line to the reservoir or
3 some sort of restriction in the pump suction line.
Ken

OP
OP
J

j.carter855

Tazza is bang on on dropping the boom creates charge pressure, if that helps your drive then you either have a
1 bad gear pump,
2 a charge pressure valve that is stuck up and not maintaining charge pressure in the return line to the reservoir or
3 some sort of restriction in the pump suction line.
Ken
Thank you foryour help & ideas Ken. like I said, we need all we can get!! Im gonna track down some of the lines today and see if I can find where the pressure valve may be. Thanks Sir.

Tazza

Staff member
Thank you foryour help & ideas Ken. like I said, we need all we can get!! Im gonna track down some of the lines today and see if I can find where the pressure valve may be. Thanks Sir.
The main relief valve should be screwed into the control block. The charge pressure valve could be in a port block if it has one fitted or in the pump its self. It will look like a plug but have a spring and poppet behind it.

OP
OP
J

j.carter855

The main relief valve should be screwed into the control block. The charge pressure valve could be in a port block if it has one fitted or in the pump its self. It will look like a plug but have a spring and poppet behind it.
Good info Tazza, we just opened up the two valves that allow the mover to be towed(puts it in natural) and it seems to be doing better but still not there yet.

OP
OP
J

j.carter855

Good info Tazza, we just opened up the two valves that allow the mover to be towed(puts it in natural) and it seems to be doing better but still not there yet.
OK guy's, we hit a major turning point today........... The engine turns one way & the pump turns the other way. so it look's like were gonna have to break the welds loose and find another engine that rotates in the correct direction. weve been running the pump backwards all this time from the looks of it.

Tazza

Staff member
OK guy's, we hit a major turning point today........... The engine turns one way & the pump turns the other way. so it look's like were gonna have to break the welds loose and find another engine that rotates in the correct direction. weve been running the pump backwards all this time from the looks of it.
Yeah, that could cause a problem on two........

Latest posts