position of fuel shut off lever on Isuzu Inj pump

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

la350

Greetings, I just bought an 843 with the Isuzu engine. I had the dealer do about 800.00 of repairs that I felt that I could not do and am now working on the easier stuff. They replaced the shut off cable but didn't really get it adjusted correctly. I tried to start the rig this morning so that I could raise the bucket so I could remove the lift cyclinders for a reseal but it wouldn't start. Spun over plenty fast, outside temps in the 60's, started easily the last few days. I suspect that I'm either out of diesel or the shut off lever on top of the IP is not pointing the correct direction to start. Should it point directly towards the engine block to run and then a few degrees forward/aft its to be in the off position? Rig has 6000hrs. What else should I be looking at in terms of maintanance issues? What do the idiot lights monitor? Thanks Lance

Fishfiles

I would guess from your statement that the cable is not adjust properly you might mean that the cable doesn't push all the way in before stopping and leaving the knob a 1/2 inch or so from being all the way in , if you are in doubt of the lever disconnect the linkage and work it by hand while someone is spinning it over , I don't think that is your problem , I'd look to fuel first , crack open injectors and spin it over to see if the fuel is getting there , another good process of elimination is to use a gallon jug of fresh diesel and go from the primer bulb to the jug with aonther hose , this will eliminate the tank , pick up and the fuel thats in the tank , check for glow plug voltage , then look to compression , 6000 hrs I consider a lot

Ersok

I would guess from your statement that the cable is not adjust properly you might mean that the cable doesn't push all the way in before stopping and leaving the knob a 1/2 inch or so from being all the way in , if you are in doubt of the lever disconnect the linkage and work it by hand while someone is spinning it over , I don't think that is your problem , I'd look to fuel first , crack open injectors and spin it over to see if the fuel is getting there , another good process of elimination is to use a gallon jug of fresh diesel and go from the primer bulb to the jug with aonther hose , this will eliminate the tank , pick up and the fuel thats in the tank , check for glow plug voltage , then look to compression , 6000 hrs I consider a lot
I dont remember an Isuzu engine with a mechanical shut off cable? that engine has an electric solinoid in the injection pump unless I am missing something could this be a 200 series perkins. I agree with fishflies, do you have any smoke when cranking?

OP
OP
L

la350

I dont remember an Isuzu engine with a mechanical shut off cable? that engine has an electric solinoid in the injection pump unless I am missing something could this be a 200 series perkins. I agree with fishflies, do you have any smoke when cranking?
I was told that it was an Isuzu but can't confirm this. How do I tell? In regards to priming the fuel system, I don't see a bulb anywhere but do have a lever on the underside of the fuel pump on the left side of the engine (left side as looking at the motor from the rear of the machine). IP is on the right side of the engine with a cable shut off on top of the IP. thanks for all the help! Lance

Ersok

I was told that it was an Isuzu but can't confirm this. How do I tell? In regards to priming the fuel system, I don't see a bulb anywhere but do have a lever on the underside of the fuel pump on the left side of the engine (left side as looking at the motor from the rear of the machine). IP is on the right side of the engine with a cable shut off on top of the IP. thanks for all the help! Lance
It sounds like you have the older perkins 4.154 engine, your serial number would be 502012999 and below. the Isuzu and the 200 series perkins do not have a lift pump, you can look at the valve cover it will be a tin metal and the Isuzu and 200 perkins wil be aluminum.

OP
OP
L

la350

It sounds like you have the older perkins 4.154 engine, your serial number would be 502012999 and below. the Isuzu and the 200 series perkins do not have a lift pump, you can look at the valve cover it will be a tin metal and the Isuzu and 200 perkins wil be aluminum.
Well, that could certainly explain why I can't find any info in the Isuzu manual! :) It is serial number 5020 MA 11187. I don't suppose parts are available via Bobcat or perkins for this older engine? Is there an easy repower unit to substitute or rebuild kits available? Lance

Ersok

Well, that could certainly explain why I can't find any info in the Isuzu manual! :) It is serial number 5020 MA 11187. I don't suppose parts are available via Bobcat or perkins for this older engine? Is there an easy repower unit to substitute or rebuild kits available? Lance
Parts are available via bobcat but perkins parts are expensive. No engine repower from Bobcat.

skidsteer.ca

Parts are available via bobcat but perkins parts are expensive. No engine repower from Bobcat.
For engine parts go the the engine manufacturer as Bobcat just marks them up more.
Or see if your local engine rebuilder has a source.
The water pump for my 853 Izusu was $160 at Isuzu and $250 at Bobcat.
Ken