plow angle

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skayser2

I have a 463 that I use mainly for snow removal. I have a SB150 snowblower, 60" bucket and a 60" wisk broom. This year I bought a 5' 3 point backblade and welded mounts to a quick tach plate. I'm using plastic 8" x 1 1/4" ahead of the moldboard to take up some of the shock as I mainly do sidewalks and driveways. So far it works great angled on the walks and great for pulling back from the garage doors. Currently it's manual angled but would like to use the 463's aux. hydralics, add a cylinder and use the current 7 pin harness to control the angle from the cab. I've spent tons of time reading on-line material but just haven't figured out which valve (diverter, 3rd function, etc. to use????) I'm more confused than before I started. Is it easier than I' making it?? Any help and photos would be great. Thanks!!

jerry

This is side to side angle? Would you not just use the loaders aux valve to control the cylinder?

OP
OP
S

skayser2

This is side to side angle? Would you not just use the loaders aux valve to control the cylinder?
Thanks for responding. Yes would like to use the auxil. hydralics but when engaged it's just one directional I'm sure with a return to the loader. Wouldn't I need some kind of valve to control which direction (dual action cylinder). I assume it would need to be a solinoid directional valve with some sort of by-pass. Not sure if I'm correct on that or exactly what I would need? Thanks!!

OP
OP
S

skayser2

Thanks for responding. Yes would like to use the auxil. hydralics but when engaged it's just one directional I'm sure with a return to the loader. Wouldn't I need some kind of valve to control which direction (dual action cylinder). I assume it would need to be a solinoid directional valve with some sort of by-pass. Not sure if I'm correct on that or exactly what I would need? Thanks!!
It would need to control as does the shut cylinder on the blower. It also is a dual action cylinder. It's supply hoses come from the main blower hydra. manifold that is integrated with the fan motor and auger hydra circuits. I'm not sure what kind of solinoid valve I would need. I'm lost :p

skidsteer.ca

It would need to control as does the shut cylinder on the blower. It also is a dual action cylinder. It's supply hoses come from the main blower hydra. manifold that is integrated with the fan motor and auger hydra circuits. I'm not sure what kind of solinoid valve I would need. I'm lost :p
The bobcat loader valve has the abilty to control cylinders with intermittant flow in in either direction, as well as continuos flow like you would use on your blower.
On the bigger models 753, etc you use the finger trigger on the rh stick for blowers and the thumb lever for cylinders.
Ken

OP
OP
S

skayser2

The bobcat loader valve has the abilty to control cylinders with intermittant flow in in either direction, as well as continuos flow like you would use on your blower.
On the bigger models 753, etc you use the finger trigger on the rh stick for blowers and the thumb lever for cylinders.
Ken
Thanks, the 463 auxil hydr is engaged by the right hand lever (detent) The auix hydr ports are at the front of the loader as you know. I assume one pressure and one return. If I engaged it hooked to a dual action cylinder wouldn't I need some kind of directional valve and bypass? it would need to be some kind of solenoid controlled valve that would be wired into my 7 pin loom. All the blower valving is attached to the blower. All I need to do there is hook up the two auxil lines and the loom connector. Thanks for your time!!

OP
OP
S

skayser2

Thanks, the 463 auxil hydr is engaged by the right hand lever (detent) The auix hydr ports are at the front of the loader as you know. I assume one pressure and one return. If I engaged it hooked to a dual action cylinder wouldn't I need some kind of directional valve and bypass? it would need to be some kind of solenoid controlled valve that would be wired into my 7 pin loom. All the blower valving is attached to the blower. All I need to do there is hook up the two auxil lines and the loom connector. Thanks for your time!!
Maybe I don't understand? All I would need to do is buy a dual action cylinder, hoses with restrictors and coupler ends, hook em up and monentarly bump the auxil lever and the cylinder would move?? That would be easy. I didn't realize the auix valve as the ability to switch flow direction. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again

OP
OP
S

skayser2

Maybe I don't understand? All I would need to do is buy a dual action cylinder, hoses with restrictors and coupler ends, hook em up and monentarly bump the auxil lever and the cylinder would move?? That would be easy. I didn't realize the auix valve as the ability to switch flow direction. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again
Let me start over. I apoligize for my ignorance. I bought this 463 new in 04 (?) with the blower (s150). I have only used it for snow removal in the past (about 600 hrs so far). I also use a 56" utility bucket and 60" Mega broom. I do mainly sidewalks and driveways for roughly 12 square blocks around my home. Before the 463 I completely rebuilt an old 500 and used it for 7 years. The blower and bucket work very well but I need to speed up the process alittle as more neighbors are requesting service and always cycling the bucket seems to take too long. A blade seems to be the right way to go. I bought a 5' back blade and removed the 3pt brackets. I removed the quick tach plate from the broom and welded 2" receiver adapters to it. I welded male ends to both the blade and the broom so I'm able to change from one to the other using the same plate. The blade works great so far. Fits the sidewalks angled and great for pulling back from the garage doors without cycling the tilt so often as done w/the bucket. I use 1 1/4" poly ahead of the cutting edge. Hydralic angle would be even better but I have never had an attachment w/cylinder only function. As I am beginning to understand, I think, all I need to do is add the right size cylinder, hoses and flat face coupler ends and attach them to the front auxillary ports. On the 463 the auxil. is engaged by shifting the right lever to it's detent has opposed to the switch on the bigger machines. By momentarily bumping the auxil hydr lever that will move the cylinder until it's limit and the bypass valve in the loader will reverse flow to retract the cylinder. Correct?? Do I have this right?? I was thinking I needed a directional valve, etc. that I had to operate from in the loader (left lever switch) as I do the blower chute angle. It makes sense as less heat from fluid movement. I'm old but never too old to learn something new. Again, I appoligize for my ignorance. I hope I got it right. Thanks.

mrfixitpaul

Let me start over. I apoligize for my ignorance. I bought this 463 new in 04 (?) with the blower (s150). I have only used it for snow removal in the past (about 600 hrs so far). I also use a 56" utility bucket and 60" Mega broom. I do mainly sidewalks and driveways for roughly 12 square blocks around my home. Before the 463 I completely rebuilt an old 500 and used it for 7 years. The blower and bucket work very well but I need to speed up the process alittle as more neighbors are requesting service and always cycling the bucket seems to take too long. A blade seems to be the right way to go. I bought a 5' back blade and removed the 3pt brackets. I removed the quick tach plate from the broom and welded 2" receiver adapters to it. I welded male ends to both the blade and the broom so I'm able to change from one to the other using the same plate. The blade works great so far. Fits the sidewalks angled and great for pulling back from the garage doors without cycling the tilt so often as done w/the bucket. I use 1 1/4" poly ahead of the cutting edge. Hydralic angle would be even better but I have never had an attachment w/cylinder only function. As I am beginning to understand, I think, all I need to do is add the right size cylinder, hoses and flat face coupler ends and attach them to the front auxillary ports. On the 463 the auxil. is engaged by shifting the right lever to it's detent has opposed to the switch on the bigger machines. By momentarily bumping the auxil hydr lever that will move the cylinder until it's limit and the bypass valve in the loader will reverse flow to retract the cylinder. Correct?? Do I have this right?? I was thinking I needed a directional valve, etc. that I had to operate from in the loader (left lever switch) as I do the blower chute angle. It makes sense as less heat from fluid movement. I'm old but never too old to learn something new. Again, I appoligize for my ignorance. I hope I got it right. Thanks.
When you move the right side lever to the LEFT you will reverse the flow to the auxiliaries. There is no detent to the left, just to the right, which is fine for the intermittent use to angle your plow. All you need is 2 hoses going to a double acting cylinder. When you move the right side lever a little to the right or left it will extend/retract. I'm not sure if there are relief valves in the control valve, but the 463 probably won't have enough traction/power to hit something hard enough with the plow to create a problem in the system(creating excessive pressure when you hit something solid and the cyilinder on the plow tries to move against the valve). If you are concerned about excessive pressure you can install a cross-relief valve near the plow cylinder.

jerry

When you move the right side lever to the LEFT you will reverse the flow to the auxiliaries. There is no detent to the left, just to the right, which is fine for the intermittent use to angle your plow. All you need is 2 hoses going to a double acting cylinder. When you move the right side lever a little to the right or left it will extend/retract. I'm not sure if there are relief valves in the control valve, but the 463 probably won't have enough traction/power to hit something hard enough with the plow to create a problem in the system(creating excessive pressure when you hit something solid and the cyilinder on the plow tries to move against the valve). If you are concerned about excessive pressure you can install a cross-relief valve near the plow cylinder.
If your lever does not seem to go to the left check for interference by hoses back at the valve. My 632 seemed to have no detent to the right but it was just hose interference. Do a search here on snow blades and I believe most people have to put a restricting orifice or flow restricting valve in line to slow the cylinder down. Some do it just with smaller lines but that makes a lot more heat.

OP
OP
S

skayser2

Thanks mrfixitpaul. I learned something new today. It's a good day. You are right, I don't think I'll hit anything hard enough but that is something for me to keep in mind. Appreciate your time and knowledge. Steve

skidsteer.ca

Thanks mrfixitpaul. I learned something new today. It's a good day. You are right, I don't think I'll hit anything hard enough but that is something for me to keep in mind. Appreciate your time and knowledge. Steve
Actually on my s185 you can lock flow on in the reverse direction too. You hold the thumb switch left then pull the finger trigger. Great for tilling in reverse
Have yet to try it on my 773G and am wondering how far back theis feature goes.
Steve your 463 will definitely have the ability to control cylinders without any extra valves. When you engage your aux, just don't touch the finger trigger switch, just the thumb switch, hydraulics will labor when you push it left (reverse flow) or right (forward flow) and hold the cylinder when you release the thumb switch and it self centers. You can test it without even conecting anything to it, if its working you will hear the engine go under load.
Ken

mrfixitpaul

Actually on my s185 you can lock flow on in the reverse direction too. You hold the thumb switch left then pull the finger trigger. Great for tilling in reverse
Have yet to try it on my 773G and am wondering how far back theis feature goes.
Steve your 463 will definitely have the ability to control cylinders without any extra valves. When you engage your aux, just don't touch the finger trigger switch, just the thumb switch, hydraulics will labor when you push it left (reverse flow) or right (forward flow) and hold the cylinder when you release the thumb switch and it self centers. You can test it without even conecting anything to it, if its working you will hear the engine go under load.
Ken
Ken- Just fyi, the 463 is straight mechanical to the control valve, like the good old days....any switches on the levers would only be for attachment control, not auxiliary flow control. I think the 553 was also this way...only the larger machines went electronic. as for the newer minis, I haven't looked at one yet.

skidsteer.ca

Ken- Just fyi, the 463 is straight mechanical to the control valve, like the good old days....any switches on the levers would only be for attachment control, not auxiliary flow control. I think the 553 was also this way...only the larger machines went electronic. as for the newer minis, I haven't looked at one yet.
Ok
I should have guessed that , my 95 553c was the mechanical linkage too, just thought being newer it would be electric. My apologies.
Ken

OP
OP
S

skayser2

Ok
I should have guessed that , my 95 553c was the mechanical linkage too, just thought being newer it would be electric. My apologies.
Ken
Received the 2 1/2" x 10" stroke cylinder and quick couplers today. Been working on the mounting brackets. Drilling 1" holes for the cylinder pins is a PIA with a dull bit. I'd sharpen it on the grinder but I'd be sure to ruin it. I get it later. I'm putting this cylinder on a 5' tractor 3 point back blade. I've welded up receivers to a quick tach plate and removed the 3 point setup. Been using it as a pusher and so far it works qreat but angleing it from inside will be nice. Like I said before I only use my 463 for snow removal on city sidewalks and numerous driveways. I run a SB150 blower when needed. Is the one cylinder going to be enough or would it be better if I installed a cylinder on each side? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll try and post a picture of what I'm doing.

OP
OP
S

skayser2

Received the 2 1/2" x 10" stroke cylinder and quick couplers today. Been working on the mounting brackets. Drilling 1" holes for the cylinder pins is a PIA with a dull bit. I'd sharpen it on the grinder but I'd be sure to ruin it. I get it later. I'm putting this cylinder on a 5' tractor 3 point back blade. I've welded up receivers to a quick tach plate and removed the 3 point setup. Been using it as a pusher and so far it works qreat but angleing it from inside will be nice. Like I said before I only use my 463 for snow removal on city sidewalks and numerous driveways. I run a SB150 blower when needed. Is the one cylinder going to be enough or would it be better if I installed a cylinder on each side? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll try and post a picture of what I'm doing.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/124947-adding-hydraulic-angle-my-back.html This is very close to what I'm doing except welding instead of the bolts.
( Edit note: Link needed one more space between itandthe following text. Ken)

OP
OP
S

skayser2

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/124947-adding-hydraulic-angle-my-back.html This is very close to what I'm doing except welding instead of the bolts.
( Edit note: Link needed one more space between itandthe following text. Ken)
Sorry about that Ken, thanks. Well I think I got it. Guess I didn't quit understand just how the 463's auxil. hydra. functioned. It all makes more sense now. I thought I needed more than I alredy had. Got the cylinder mounted and the lines run. Need to double up on the 1/2" flat stock on the pivot end yet. I plan to gusset the back bracket and will weld up both. Bolted for now just for mock up and test. I ended up with 30+ degrees of angle each way which is good for what I need. I used 1/4" lines which seems to be alright. Angle speed is perfect. I will add a crossover/relief later. Would like to find one with the external poppets. Any sourse suggestions. I plan to use the same cylinder for the 5' mega broom also. The quick tach plate came from it, so will need to fab the male hitch for it also. Thanks for all the help!! Heres a link to what it looks like. Will blast and paint next spring. http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn277/skayser2/backblade001.jpg

skidsteer.ca

Sorry about that Ken, thanks. Well I think I got it. Guess I didn't quit understand just how the 463's auxil. hydra. functioned. It all makes more sense now. I thought I needed more than I alredy had. Got the cylinder mounted and the lines run. Need to double up on the 1/2" flat stock on the pivot end yet. I plan to gusset the back bracket and will weld up both. Bolted for now just for mock up and test. I ended up with 30+ degrees of angle each way which is good for what I need. I used 1/4" lines which seems to be alright. Angle speed is perfect. I will add a crossover/relief later. Would like to find one with the external poppets. Any sourse suggestions. I plan to use the same cylinder for the 5' mega broom also. The quick tach plate came from it, so will need to fab the male hitch for it also. Thanks for all the help!! Heres a link to what it looks like. Will blast and paint next spring. http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn277/skayser2/backblade001.jpg
backblade001.jpg

No problem, just trying to help.
Looking at the pic the hoses seem a bit short if you want to level with your tilt cylinder while stacking snow...
Otherwise looks great
Ken

OP
OP
S

skayser2

No problem, just trying to help.
Looking at the pic the hoses seem a bit short if you want to level with your tilt cylinder while stacking snow...
Otherwise looks great
Ken
Yep Ken, you're right. The lines are alittle short. They're a 36" and a 48". After I add the crossover I'll add two more that should make up the difference. I'll be cautious in the meantime. Thanks again! Happy Holidays!!!! Steve