Pertronix electronic ignition on Ford 1.6

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tmq

Has anyone had any experience with the aftermarket electronic ignition on the Ford 1.6 engine. I recently bought a 642 and am thinking about adding electronic ignition just to eliminate any future headaches. My unit runs great but starts really hard when it's cold. just about impossible to start it without using the block heater for a couple hours. I'm thinking a hotter spark might help. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,

Babongo

Did you install the Pertronix unit on that 642? I am looking to do the same on the recommendation of a technician who just installed one on a 1962 Oliver tractor. I am surprised that the post did not receive any responses.

jerry

Did you install the Pertronix unit on that 642? I am looking to do the same on the recommendation of a technician who just installed one on a 1962 Oliver tractor. I am surprised that the post did not receive any responses.
I had one of those engines in 632, same problem cold starting. Before changing ignition take the air cleaner hose off the carb and make sure the choke is completely closing. Mine was not, after adjusting it would start in 20 below F with no problem.

HanSolo

I had one of those engines in 632, same problem cold starting. Before changing ignition take the air cleaner hose off the carb and make sure the choke is completely closing. Mine was not, after adjusting it would start in 20 below F with no problem.
I'm curious if anybody here has installed the Pertronix distributor on the Wisconsin VH4D. I was surprised when that assembly showed up in a parts search. Seems to me that the electronic ignition would much improve cold starts and perhaps overall engine performance.

Babongo

I'm curious if anybody here has installed the Pertronix distributor on the Wisconsin VH4D. I was surprised when that assembly showed up in a parts search. Seems to me that the electronic ignition would much improve cold starts and perhaps overall engine performance.
I have decided to order the Pertronix kit for my 642 w/1.6L. My distributor is :0231 170 307 and the kit for that Bosch is Pertronix number 1843. Please post any experiences with this solution. Thanks

Latest posts