perkins diesel priming 4.108

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

drkonek

Need help with diesel fuel system. engine starts and runs for 1 or 2 minutes and then runs out of fuel. Replaced fuel feed and returns lines, two filters and cleaned the extra filter assembly. The feed bowl has fuel in it when it quits but there is no fuel at the injector pump or the injectors. When I open the bleed screw at the first filter after the fuel pump I do not have fuel but there is fuel in the first inline filter because I see it in the bowl. Could this be my fuel pump because it is not sucking it out of the first filter assembly? Where can I get a pump or do they make a rebuild kit? How can I check the pump? Can I just connect a line to the first filter from a jar and see if it sucks fuel, then I will know the tank assembly is ok? Thank you for your assistance.

skidsteer.ca

Your first filter will have pretty course paper, I you must use one filter use the sencond one.
I'm guessing the lift pump is shot ( or clogged) or the lift pump section of the injection pump if it does not have a separate lift pump is not functioning
Maybe try hooking an electric fuel pump in or running a hose through the cab and putting a boat primer bulb inline so you can manually pump it inside the cab.
Also nothing wrong with a temp fuel tank so long as you fuel goes through a secondary fuel filter.
Ken

OP
OP
D

drkonek

Your first filter will have pretty course paper, I you must use one filter use the sencond one.
I'm guessing the lift pump is shot ( or clogged) or the lift pump section of the injection pump if it does not have a separate lift pump is not functioning
Maybe try hooking an electric fuel pump in or running a hose through the cab and putting a boat primer bulb inline so you can manually pump it inside the cab.
Also nothing wrong with a temp fuel tank so long as you fuel goes through a secondary fuel filter.
Ken
Thanks again to this forum and the fine people here. It was dark till I got to the fuel problem because I just finished a broken shaft on the chain drive. ** They have a shaft with the chain sprockets welded to it, then the outer splined part for the gear is a press fit, no keyway so I welded the press fit and it is now running. The lift pump had a flat level on the bottom it acts as a hand prime, I vacuumed fuel thru to the pump and blew out the lines and it started up. Thank you again I hope some of this info will benefit others.