Operating a skid steer.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OCM

I "came into" a 540 Bobcat and have been watching "How To" videos that show operators getting the loader on the front wheels and doing stuff. How do they get it on the front wheels, I can't see how they do it. Can anyone clue me in? It's not something I would try, but I'm curious.

brdgbldr

Extremely dangerous! Do not attempt! I will explain how they do it so you can avoid doing it by accident.

Just so you know, you should always travel with the bucket or attachment as low as possible to avoid tipping over the machine. Always wear the seat belt ( I have seen operators thrown out of the front of skid steers ). Also, go in reverse up steep slopes or the machine will tilt over backwards. Skid steers are back heavy so they tilt over backwards easier then forwards.

It doesn't take much to get a skid steer to tilt over forward. Just go forward at speed and then hit reverse with the bucket or attachment in the air. Or, put a load in the bucket and do the same thing but at less speed.

This is also extremely hard on the machine. There are stunt drivers that do this for shows but they have modified engines and machines. If you tilt any engine at an extreme angle you will starve it of oil and burn it out unless it is properly modified.

mrbb

well its not that hard to do, its about learning how to use gravity and leverage
I wou;dn;t recommend doing it, its asking for a complete roll over and its hard on your equipment, leave the toying for those that can afford to damage things and have

OP
OP
O

OCM

At 80 years old, I'm past the "hold my beer and watch this" era. I just couldn't see how they did that. There is great potential for harm to my body attempting that. Thanks for the information.

koko

At 80 years old, I'm past the "hold my beer and watch this" era. I just couldn't see how they did that. There is great potential for harm to my body attempting that. Thanks for the information.
and if your wife sees you doing that....for sure you're going to hurt!🤣