Old style Bobcat angle broom electric angle motor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

spitzair

Hi everyone, I recently picked up an older Bobcat angle broom with the electric angling feature. The motor is trashed on it, and a new one is north of $1500 which is more than double what I bought the broom for... Does anyone know of any will-fit options out there for it? I'm tempted to convert it to hydraulic angling similar to what's on the newer style. Has anyone ever done this? For the time being I'll just run a manual swivel but would definitely like to have it adjustable on the fly...

OP
OP
spitzair

spitzair

Just to clarify it's the electric angling motor that's kaputski; the hydraulic motor that runs the brush works great.

OP
OP
spitzair

spitzair

I'd also look at going hydraulic too, small cylinder, valve and hoses.
Thanks Tazza, I've decided that's what I'm going to do. I ordered a small cylinder and a valve and I'll get hoses made once everything is rigged up where it needs to be. In the mean time I made a bar to manually angle it and while it does work it's a pain to have to get out, pull a pin, angle it, try to line up a hole, jam the pin back in, climb back in, sweep a few feet, then angle it again... I'll try to post some pictures of what I build once it's done...

OP
OP
spitzair

spitzair

Thanks Tazza, I've decided that's what I'm going to do. I ordered a small cylinder and a valve and I'll get hoses made once everything is rigged up where it needs to be. In the mean time I made a bar to manually angle it and while it does work it's a pain to have to get out, pull a pin, angle it, try to line up a hole, jam the pin back in, climb back in, sweep a few feet, then angle it again... I'll try to post some pictures of what I build once it's done...
I got the thing all put together with a hydraulic cylinder and it does work really good. I'll put up a video of it on my youtube channel when I get a chance. The cylinder I initially bought didn't quite cut the mustard, would work ok when extending but just didn't have enough grunt to go the other way... The one I have on there now works well both ways.

Tazza

Staff member
I got the thing all put together with a hydraulic cylinder and it does work really good. I'll put up a video of it on my youtube channel when I get a chance. The cylinder I initially bought didn't quite cut the mustard, would work ok when extending but just didn't have enough grunt to go the other way... The one I have on there now works well both ways.
Good to hear it was a success, even if it took a second cylinder to get it right.
It's hard to know just how much force is needed with projects like this. If you go too large, you can bend something, too small, and it won't do the job.

OP
OP
spitzair

spitzair

Good to hear it was a success, even if it took a second cylinder to get it right.
It's hard to know just how much force is needed with projects like this. If you go too large, you can bend something, too small, and it won't do the job.
Thanks Tazza! All up and running well now! https://youtu.be/eeEIXqj8U8I

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks Tazza! All up and running well now! https://youtu.be/eeEIXqj8U8I
Good video, thanks for sharing.
If you're not going to use the fancy comfuser for controlling the functions, you can possibly sell it on to someone with a newer machine that could use it, get some of the money back that you spent for the cylinder.

OP
OP
spitzair

spitzair

Good video, thanks for sharing.
If you're not going to use the fancy comfuser for controlling the functions, you can possibly sell it on to someone with a newer machine that could use it, get some of the money back that you spent for the cylinder.
Thanks Tazza. I did have the fancy controller comfuser on ebay but nobody even looked at it... Oh well...