Old M444 oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

beck5012

Have an old M444, got it running from prior owner, tried to contact him as to oil,no luck. This has the wet clutch's. Original calls for ATF but thats not in it..It appears to be motor oil but not for sure?? Not thin and not thick,but pretty black with wear and tear. I am just wanting to add oil not totally replace it due to a leak repair. Hydrostatic oil ?? Hydraulic oil ?? or Motor oil ?? and will it mix with present oil?? Appears to be working good everything works but just low on oil..

Well hydrostatic oil is the same grade as engine oil, 10W30, 15WE40, 20W50, along those lines. Its a lot heavier than hydraulic oil or ATF. if you put a thicker oil in you mite push out seals I would go with what the book says

OP
OP
B

beck5012

Will any or all of these oil's mix?? I have no clue to what type is in it now..But its not the original ATF, or red in color. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Will any or all of these oil's mix?? I have no clue to what type is in it now..But its not the original ATF, or red in color. Thanks
Some people run hydraulic oil too i think. The ATF has the benefit of anti-wear additives though.
If the oil is black, it may be worth changing it. As far as i was aware, the older machines with wet clutches used the same oil for the hydraulics. If that is the case i really would like to drop the oil and replace it.