oil in air cleaner--bobcat 310

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

freddyc

Ok, this is my first post here. I'm looking for some opinions on an engine problem. I have a Kohler command 20 hp in a 310. It was changed out from the original 15 hp unit. The engine starts, and runs well, has plenty of power and doesn't smoke. The issue is that there is engine oil coming up the breather tube and dripping into the air cleaner area. From what I understand, positive pressure in the crankcase can only be caused by a few things...but.... it can't be good. So, plugged breather filter, rings, ?? Any insight is appreciated.

StuZ

Over filling the engine oil is the worst cause of this. You can't overfill the engine at all !!!! Just a small amount will cause this. Next thing would be the reed valves

OP
OP
F

freddyc

Over filling the engine oil is the worst cause of this. You can't overfill the engine at all !!!! Just a small amount will cause this. Next thing would be the reed valves
Stuz,,, thanks for the input. I don't think the engine is overfilled--- level is centered on the dipstick. Where are the "reeds" you mentioned??? Is that in the breather cover or elsewhere?? The service manual shows one reed in the breather, right next to the mesh filter. Is there any chance that this could be rings?? $$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!! I never worked on a Kohler in my life! Thanks for your help.

bobbie-g

Stuz,,, thanks for the input. I don't think the engine is overfilled--- level is centered on the dipstick. Where are the "reeds" you mentioned??? Is that in the breather cover or elsewhere?? The service manual shows one reed in the breather, right next to the mesh filter. Is there any chance that this could be rings?? $$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!! I never worked on a Kohler in my life! Thanks for your help.
Freddyc, I'm not much of a mechanic, but I believe a plugged positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve might cause this problem. Never been around a smaller engine such as the 20hp, so don't know particulars about them. ---Bob

Tazza

Staff member
Freddyc, I'm not much of a mechanic, but I believe a plugged positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve might cause this problem. Never been around a smaller engine such as the 20hp, so don't know particulars about them. ---Bob
My 731 runs a 32hp Deutz, it does the same thing. But my breether hangs off the side of the engine, so when the oil comes out it just makes a mess in the engine bay. The only thing i can think of is the angle that the engine runs on when i climb hills or when i'm doing digging and tilt the machine rite back. Its only a very small amount, but add a little dust and it quickly makes a mess. If you use your machine on hills it may be the same problem as mine. Hope this helps.