noisey 853

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bructer2

New to board, but not new to owning a bobcat. Have had my 95 853 for about 10 yrs. It has about 2800 hrs. Started leaking Hyd. oil a couple of yrs. ago. Its down in the depths under the seat & I can't find it. Will use about a qrt. a day & dribbles out the bottom. Steam cleaned it this fall & still can't find. Used it for snow this weekend & it was making a kind of screaming noise when it was under heavy load or heavy load & turning. We had alot of heavy snow. Am going to pull wheels, lift cab & try running it to find leak. Noise has me nervous. Have never changed or tightened belt that runs pump. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Anyhow, enjoy reading of this forum & hope to be of some help someday.

jerry

Our neighbor with a 94 853 had a oil leak like that last year, thought it was the hyd filters so he changed them ,still leaked, changed the o rings on the filters,still leaked so I watched with a mirror when he started and there is a small hose in behind the filters and that was leaking. It leaked a fair amount of oil out of it.

mrfixitpaul

Our neighbor with a 94 853 had a oil leak like that last year, thought it was the hyd filters so he changed them ,still leaked, changed the o rings on the filters,still leaked so I watched with a mirror when he started and there is a small hose in behind the filters and that was leaking. It leaked a fair amount of oil out of it.
Definitely sounds like a loose drive belt making the noise. The 853 has 1 bolt that holds it in place and a threaded rod to adjust it. The instructions are usually on a sticker inside the tailgate. It calls for a 'special tool' to adjust to spec, but if yours is loose enough to squeal any tightening will help, just don't make it banjo-string tight. As for the leak....with 2500 hours could be anything......sounds like it loses enough oil to be able to find the culprit(s) after the thorough cleaning.

Kermode

Definitely sounds like a loose drive belt making the noise. The 853 has 1 bolt that holds it in place and a threaded rod to adjust it. The instructions are usually on a sticker inside the tailgate. It calls for a 'special tool' to adjust to spec, but if yours is loose enough to squeal any tightening will help, just don't make it banjo-string tight. As for the leak....with 2500 hours could be anything......sounds like it loses enough oil to be able to find the culprit(s) after the thorough cleaning.
Good luck with the oil leak. There's a hundred places for a leak under the cab and none of them are easy to find. Check that the drive belt tensioner hasn't fallen apart. If its all there, tighten it until its as tight as your alt belt or fan belt and then tighten it a little more. Another charmingly difficult thing to get at.

OP
OP
B

bructer2

Thanks Jerry. I changed a hose in that area last year that ruptured. That fixed a major leak, but still have this smaller one. I have cab up & wheels off & will be running it tomorrow. I'll look in that area again. Looks like some oil around the small filter in that area.

OP
OP
B

bructer2

Thanks to all for imfo. on belt & tightening. Is there a time frame for changing belt or just when bad? Saw a post on adjusting belt using a fish wieghing scale. Did'n't get it. Thanks again

mrfixitpaul

Thanks to all for imfo. on belt & tightening. Is there a time frame for changing belt or just when bad? Saw a post on adjusting belt using a fish wieghing scale. Did'n't get it. Thanks again
To use the fish scale you also need the 'special tool' from bobcat.

skidsteer.ca

To use the fish scale you also need the 'special tool' from bobcat.
Just check the belt for crack or separating between the V's 2800 hour it likely getting duo.
As for the oil leak, look all over for a place washed clean by the leaking oil. you should be able to find a spot with no dust left on it and maybe a puddle of oil too. A mirror and a strong light are a must.
Ken

OP
OP
B

bructer2

Just check the belt for crack or separating between the V's 2800 hour it likely getting duo.
As for the oil leak, look all over for a place washed clean by the leaking oil. you should be able to find a spot with no dust left on it and maybe a puddle of oil too. A mirror and a strong light are a must.
Ken
Belt looked good & was tight. Surprised but glad. Cleaned alot of dirt from around cover to get at it. Slowly getting the inside of machine cleaned. The leak is being a devil to find. Maybe the pump that runs lift & tilt. Cleaned around it & am sooking some oil up in a valley below it before running it again. Thanks

mrfixitpaul

Belt looked good & was tight. Surprised but glad. Cleaned alot of dirt from around cover to get at it. Slowly getting the inside of machine cleaned. The leak is being a devil to find. Maybe the pump that runs lift & tilt. Cleaned around it & am sooking some oil up in a valley below it before running it again. Thanks
There are drain holes at the back of each valley, probably full of oily mud but if you work at it you can get them open and drain out the oil from the area. There are also drains if you remove the 3 bolt access cover under the fuel tank.

OP
OP
B

bructer2

There are drain holes at the back of each valley, probably full of oily mud but if you work at it you can get them open and drain out the oil from the area. There are also drains if you remove the 3 bolt access cover under the fuel tank.
Found the leak. Was an oring on the hose from lift/tilt pump to valve body. Mirror helped find leak. Could have sworn it was coming from pump body. Thanks all!