No power to key on a Cat 257b. Need Help

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TonyBolt

I have a Cat 257b 2007. Ran the machine for 2 hours today and came in for dinner. Went back to move it and when you turn the key to the first position where all the light come on there is nothing coming on. Nothing at all is happening when you turn the key. Just as if the battery is all the way dead. Battery is showing 12.8 volts. Horn will blow load. Toke panel down to check key switch and have power going through the switch. Not the switch. Disconnect safety switch from lap bar and check good. Not lap bar switch. I'm lost. Is there any other safety switch that I'm missing or something else? Thanks, Tony

HSVSkidSteer

I'm pretty sure that there is also a sensor that won't allow the 257B to be started unless there is an operator in the seat.

Whiddles

Bringing this one back to life as I just purchased a used 2007 Cat 267B and had the same issue. My issue started while I was driving the bucket into some topsoil the machine just went dead. Turned the key one notch and got nothing. First thought was battery connect/alternator. Not knowing when the battery was last replaced even though it only has 2100 hours I picked up a new battery at the local CAT dealer for $150. Ran home put the battery in no change. Checked circuit breaker and it was good. Pulled all the fuses and cleaned each one. Horn worked only, no park lights nothing Pulled every visual wire connector apart in engine bay cleaned them and reconnected. BAMM the park light and seat/lapbar lights came on, I thought it was a home run. turned the key to start the machine and the starter just clicked and clicked. So I pulled the starter and bench tested it and found that the gear would engage but never spin. So I just ordered a new starter off of Amazon and it will be here next week by 8/3/2019. What could have caused my issue? should I still look at the alternator or do you folks think it could have just been the starters time after the electrical issue somewhere along the line I fixed by cleaning everything? Also my floor pan is not even bolted down at all and I am also missing a ROPS cab bolt which I would like to replace when I put the machine back together. Dealer wants about $80 for the Spacers, Bolt, and washers. Floor pan I cannot find the parts yet.

klaytonjazz

Bringing this one back to life round 2. Bought a 257B about a month ago. I've ran it a few times here and there, nothing crazy. Started it this morning to move gravel, moved about 200 ft and the Parking Break sensor came on. I turned it off, moved a few more feet and it died. I now have no power or control anywhere. Any help?

DH7

I have a Cat 257b 2007. Ran the machine for 2 hours today and came in for dinner. Went back to move it and when you turn the key to the first position where all the light come on there is nothing coming on. Nothing at all is happening when you turn the key. Just as if the battery is all the way dead. Battery is showing 12.8 volts. Horn will blow load. Toke panel down to check key switch and have power going through the switch. Not the switch. Disconnect safety switch from lap bar and check good. Not lap bar switch. I'm lost. Is there any other safety switch that I'm missing or something else? Thanks, Tony
Door safety switch