newbie with questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

foghorn25

Hi all Recently purchased a bobcat S175 with 460 hours. So far, very pleased and no issues. Snow removal, grading (600ft. gravel driveway), brush removal, wood, garden....these will be the primary applications. I have a few general questions. The place I bought it from claimed they ran it full throttle all the time and I know diesel engines like to be worked and run hard, but, this didn't make total sense to me. Why use more power than you need? At first I ran wide open and then realized for snow removal I could run it half or slightly over. I was kind of thinking for attachments or heavy loads such as gravel run it full, for other things cut it back. What say you experts? My manual says valve adjustment at 500 hours but that seemed odd to me and the dealer poo-pooed it as well. They claim hydro fluid change every year or 100 hours....but the service guy at bobcat explained how to do that so I can do oil, hydro air and fuel filters/fluids maybe this spring when I hit the low 500s for hours. Make sense? Last question (for now!). Can you over-grease? I think I may have on some of the joints....kind of getting the hang of all this but don't want to screw anything up early. Thx

OldMachinist

Run it at 2/3 to full throttle. Too low of rpms is hard on the hydraulics and hydrostats.
I would check the valve adjustment when you do the hydraulic fluid/filter service.
Air filter should be checked regular and replaced as needed. It just depends on how dusty the work area is. I think your display tells you % clogged.
Fuel filter should have water drained regular and changed every 100 hrs or once a year.
You can never have grease the pins too often. Replacing pin bushings isn't fun or cheap.

Tazza

Staff member
Generally 1/2 to 3/4 is all you need, just see how it reacts, if its a bit slow and jumpy, kick it up a little higher. You really can't over grease it, it just makes a mess.
Hydro fluid is 1000 hours or when its contaminated with water. Same with the chain case.
Engine at 250 they say, i usually keep an eye on the colour and hours. If it gets a bit black, its time to dump it.

OP
OP
F

foghorn25

Generally 1/2 to 3/4 is all you need, just see how it reacts, if its a bit slow and jumpy, kick it up a little higher. You really can't over grease it, it just makes a mess.
Hydro fluid is 1000 hours or when its contaminated with water. Same with the chain case.
Engine at 250 they say, i usually keep an eye on the colour and hours. If it gets a bit black, its time to dump it.
Thanks for the replies. I need to check the belts as there is a spot around 3/4 throttle where it gets screachy, then as you go by that point to full it's fine again. At least that is what the bobcat tech recomended. But I haven't noticed it being jumpy at 1/2 so I guess for most thing anything above that s/b ok. All filters were done at 421 hours but I am going to change the oil at 100 and change to synthetic, probably amsoil. I've checked the final drive fluid and it seems fine (level-wise). Not sure I would know how to check the valves. I used to adjust them on my old VWs but those were really simple. I've drained the fuel filter (a little, no sign of water) and I'll definitely be changing that at 100 after having owned 2 diesel vehicles. I'll probably freak the first time something comes up on the display!

jerry

Thanks for the replies. I need to check the belts as there is a spot around 3/4 throttle where it gets screachy, then as you go by that point to full it's fine again. At least that is what the bobcat tech recomended. But I haven't noticed it being jumpy at 1/2 so I guess for most thing anything above that s/b ok. All filters were done at 421 hours but I am going to change the oil at 100 and change to synthetic, probably amsoil. I've checked the final drive fluid and it seems fine (level-wise). Not sure I would know how to check the valves. I used to adjust them on my old VWs but those were really simple. I've drained the fuel filter (a little, no sign of water) and I'll definitely be changing that at 100 after having owned 2 diesel vehicles. I'll probably freak the first time something comes up on the display!
I put 5w 40 rotella synthetic in my new holland last fall and it has worked out well, has not used any and started good in the cold but in the old gas tractor in which I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic I went cheaper and put in Wal-mart synthetic. no problems with that either.