Newbie with drive trouble

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

FLYERME

There is no drain for the chain case. You can suck it out the fill hole in the front or better yet take off the forward inspection cover under the parking brake and suck it out then wipe it out as best as can. I have read on here of some guys drilling a hole and welding a fitting on the lower front for a drain and that seems like a good idea to me.
i also have not found the drain on my 642. I was told by old owner it is behind inspection plate? I have not looked.

Tazza

Staff member
i also have not found the drain on my 642. I was told by old owner it is behind inspection plate? I have not looked.
There is no drain plug, as mentioned earlier you need to pump it all out...
When empty you need to mop the inside out with rags to get the sludge from chain, sprocket and bearing wear. Re-fill with standard car engine oil so oil just starts coming out the front plug when the machine is on flat ground.

sterlclan

There is no drain plug, as mentioned earlier you need to pump it all out...
When empty you need to mop the inside out with rags to get the sludge from chain, sprocket and bearing wear. Re-fill with standard car engine oil so oil just starts coming out the front plug when the machine is on flat ground.
I got a wrench to fit the nut and used the hydraulics to torque it....Jeff

Tazza

Staff member
There is no adjustment on the chains, I think they are either broken or o.k. Did you ever get the bronze filter changed out?
Exactly, there is no adjustment, they may stretch a bit but that doesn't cause any problems.

OP
OP

655mac

Exactly, there is no adjustment, they may stretch a bit but that doesn't cause any problems.
Yes I changed the bronze filter & hydraulic oil when the key was fixed on the drive motor.I asked about the chains because even before the left drive trouble (broken key on the shaft of the drive motor)the left side pops & jerks slightly when the left side is in a bind or pushing a large load.It has always seemed like the chain stripping over a sprocket tooth.The chains look pretty loose but the sprockets look good.I didn't see any evidence of the chain jumping any teeth or any broken teeth.I was thinking maybe I could take out a link to tighten them but I don't want to tighten them too much.Any ideas? Thanks again this site is awesome!

Tazza

Staff member
Yes I changed the bronze filter & hydraulic oil when the key was fixed on the drive motor.I asked about the chains because even before the left drive trouble (broken key on the shaft of the drive motor)the left side pops & jerks slightly when the left side is in a bind or pushing a large load.It has always seemed like the chain stripping over a sprocket tooth.The chains look pretty loose but the sprockets look good.I didn't see any evidence of the chain jumping any teeth or any broken teeth.I was thinking maybe I could take out a link to tighten them but I don't want to tighten them too much.Any ideas? Thanks again this site is awesome!
I seriously doubt there will be enough stretch to allow you to remove a link.... It is pretty normal to jump a little as the chains take up the slack.. What about if you drive up to a large pile of dirt ot big tree, rest your bucket on it and push slowly, when your wheels start spinning on the dirt, do you still feel the jumping? If not, its not slipping over any teeth, it may just be slack that is taken up.

skidsteer.ca

You may have a bad bearing on the axel shaft binding up!
That might be the cause of the sheared key.
Unless the chains are so loose they are dragging on the bottom of the chain case I don't think that would be your problem
A trashed bearing could also account for one of the chains being loose. However its unlikely that there would be be more then one bearing going at once.
Ken