New Tracks

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Beserkeley

Hello all....NewB here, first post. I recently purchased a used T250 for my vacation house in Vermont. I have 37 acres of forest and we wanted a machine to clear the land, put in trails, build retaining walls etc. Thus far the machine has worked great. Been learing on the fly but it is a fantastic machine. When we bought the machine the tracks were in decent shape. We took it to a Bobcat dealer and they said the tracks were ok. However, I am starting to notice gashes in the treads, some are pretty deep and I am getting a bit concerned. I know now and am still learning the proper way to operate a rack loader to prevent damage to the treads but when we first got it we didnt know these techniques and Im afraid we caused damage to the treads on some rocks. Anyway, I want to start looking into getting a new set of tracks and I want to ask which tread tye you would recommend. Again the machine is being used in heavy forest environment to clear land, remove large rocks etc. Also the land is not level. There are some fairly steep parts. I currently have the "C" tread pattern but was wondering if the Bar tread pattern ar any other would be better in this environment. Show I stick with OEM brand or are there other reliable cheaper alternatives? Also, my biggest fear is being out in the woods and losing a track especially if Im on a steep incline/decline. How do you deal wih replacing a track in the middle of the woods when the machine isnt level? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

wvtrees

My experience has taught me to proceed with information and more information. Tracks can be the best or the worst. I prefer a track loader over a rubber tire machine for the stability and traction. My primary terrain is dirt. If you can use the machine in dirt, tracks will last longer than a machine used in rock, asphalt or concrete. I have replaced my tracks twice. Orginal OEM tracks lasted 2080 hrs. Second set aftermarket last only 900 hrs. Third set is OEM. The second set was more aggressive and held the ground better than OEM. I have learned not to take chances to get in to trouble or just plain stuck. Learning the limits of the machine takes time and respect for the machine. Cuts and gashes in the tracks will not hurt the performance but will allow water and dirt to get close to the core materials. Replace the tracks anywhere but flat ground is a chore. Replace before they break.

gtstang462002

I have heard good things about the McLaren tracks, though I have never run them. Of the aftermarkets their prices seem comparable to OEM, that being said I would spend the money on OEM knowing that they have a good quality product. If you can find a bridgestone dealer near you and cut the "Bobcat" markup out of the track you will have OEM tracks without the Bobcat logo or premium. If you have never replaced tracks before it can be an intimidating job, the hardest part is the weight of the tracks themselves. I always use a second machine with forks as my partner and can usually replace them in about an hour per side, unless the tensioner is clogged with mud and doesn't want to slide back. I encourage cleaning the mud and rocks out daily with a pressure washer and keeping the tracks tensioned and you will greatly reduce the chance of a track slipping off in the middle of nowhere.