New To The Site & Looking to Buy Very First Bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

polarisrider4life

hello everyone. I am new to the site and am in the market to buy a used skid steer. preferably bobcat brand. I am looking at a like late 90's maybe early 2000's model 873 with 2200hrs on it, very nice condition and im wondering what is a FAIR price on a unit like this and also, what are the annual maintainance costs on owning a bobcat skid steer generally speaking???? Thanks! Here is the URL to the said machine i'm talking about. http://syracuse.craigslist.org/grq/2966954767.html

Tazza

Staff member
The price to me sounds good, its a beast of a machine.
What do you plan on using it for? this is a large machine, the most popular size is the 7x series. They are great for moving lots of dirt quickly, but if access is tight, you won't always fit.

OP
OP
P

polarisrider4life

The price to me sounds good, its a beast of a machine.
What do you plan on using it for? this is a large machine, the most popular size is the 7x series. They are great for moving lots of dirt quickly, but if access is tight, you won't always fit.
For now at least it would be a yard machine loading mulch, topsoil, firewood etc. Eventually i would like to break into driveway repair, residential excavating for home owners etc. What would the annual cost of owning this machine be if you do NOT include the actual purchase price of the machine?

mrdeere1959

For now at least it would be a yard machine loading mulch, topsoil, firewood etc. Eventually i would like to break into driveway repair, residential excavating for home owners etc. What would the annual cost of owning this machine be if you do NOT include the actual purchase price of the machine?
From what I see in the shop you are looking at about $1.50 to $2.00 per hr for maintenance and general repairs. not counting any major repairs.

Miker67

From what I see in the shop you are looking at about $1.50 to $2.00 per hr for maintenance and general repairs. not counting any major repairs.
Mr Deere, could you elaborate a bit more on how you come to the pricing you stated? I am curious how you come to that number and how you extrapolate it forward.

7LBSSMALLIE

Mr Deere, could you elaborate a bit more on how you come to the pricing you stated? I am curious how you come to that number and how you extrapolate it forward.
prior to purchase run it thru local dealer, the price you pay to have planned maint and a quote for repairs needed is better now than later, for instance you purchase only to find cost of repairs exceeds value of unit, are the chains good has the timing belt been replaced,does it have the ribbed dipstick and where are the broken ribs,is the compression good?3 or 4 hundred bucks better than three or 4 thousand two months down the road. if seller is ok with this yore money ahead maint done peace of mind if hes not warning flag. if you are willing to spend youe own money with the option of backing out,of deal he should be ok might even split it.if hes confident its good.

OP
OP
P

polarisrider4life

prior to purchase run it thru local dealer, the price you pay to have planned maint and a quote for repairs needed is better now than later, for instance you purchase only to find cost of repairs exceeds value of unit, are the chains good has the timing belt been replaced,does it have the ribbed dipstick and where are the broken ribs,is the compression good?3 or 4 hundred bucks better than three or 4 thousand two months down the road. if seller is ok with this yore money ahead maint done peace of mind if hes not warning flag. if you are willing to spend youe own money with the option of backing out,of deal he should be ok might even split it.if hes confident its good.
What do you guys think about the price of $12,200 for this 873 with 2200hrs????? As of right now because I haven't gone to see it yet, let's ASSUME it's in good condition all around. Is $12,200 a high price, fair, or is it stealing it at this price???? It looks well cared for.

7LBSSMALLIE

What do you guys think about the price of $12,200 for this 873 with 2200hrs????? As of right now because I haven't gone to see it yet, let's ASSUME it's in good condition all around. Is $12,200 a high price, fair, or is it stealing it at this price???? It looks well cared for.
decent price but without looking at it nothing can be said.keep in mind for an example.auction units, it does not go auction unleless it has issues(one mans opion) seen it to many times, run thru shop dude eat the couple hundrerd bucks if you back out, or do what evert other lemon buyer does and pass on to next guy, some units need retired , some with a little work can be made perfectly squared away. depends on maint, done. and to what end purpose is. if you want unit to make a living is differnt than the one in barn.for occasional use. good luck but to retirate have a proffesional bobcat tech look it over prior to purchase, this will give some idea aa to repairs needed, at 12 2 if it needs another 8 youre upside down. and never assume. looks aint everything paint cheap. chains head gaskets and tires and timing belts,etc are costly,

mrdeere1959

just an average 300 - 500 for 500 hr service 700 - 1000 for 1000 hrs service thus 1.50 per hr for 1000 hrs.