New to skid steers. I have Clark bobcat 825. Is there a basic troubleshooting guide for fuel systems? Powered by a Perkins Diesel

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Markjeffrey

My machine is a late 1970's or early 80's powered by a Perkins diesel. It was running when a got it but now refuses to start. It cranks over well but will not fire. I'm assuming a fuel issue. Is there a system schematic that I may familiarize myself with the system. I am a decent mechanic but have very little experience with diesel engines. Is there a troubleshooting process which I can follow. Any guidance is most appreciated.

foton

remember diesels are compression engines , so do you believe the engine is in good shape? one that old is easier to work on. I would check and make sure that it is getting fuel, many have had issues with the electric valve that opens up to allow fuel to go to the injector pump so when the key is in the run position there should be 12 volts to the valve. some have done way with the valve and added a wire cable (like a choke cable on a mower) used to start and kill engine. you might want to check the pick up in the fuel tank , some have a thing about breaking off inside the tank.

OP
OP
M

Markjeffrey

remember diesels are compression engines , so do you believe the engine is in good shape? one that old is easier to work on. I would check and make sure that it is getting fuel, many have had issues with the electric valve that opens up to allow fuel to go to the injector pump so when the key is in the run position there should be 12 volts to the valve. some have done way with the valve and added a wire cable (like a choke cable on a mower) used to start and kill engine. you might want to check the pick up in the fuel tank , some have a thing about breaking off inside the tank.
Thank you sir .. where is this valve located on my 825 bobcat?

imtools

Mark
I have exactly your machine (see my photo; restored 2005). My machine does not have the aforementioned fuel valve and I don't believe it ever did. The engine is shut by pulling the throttle lever all the way back which changes the variable displacement injection pump's output to zero. Are you sure it is partially forward?

Probably not an issue at this time of year but starting when cold becomes real easy with 30 seconds of a heat gun blowing into manifold (temporarily disconnect air cleaner hose). You can verify fuel is making it to the injectors by slightly loosening the fuel line at injector and crank engine. And absolutely do NOT use starting fluid.

When I restored my machine, I disassembled the machine 99%; everything but the injection pump; my manual didn't have an exploded view of it and since it worked, no point in disassembling. This means I know this machine quite literally inside and out. I also have a manual. Back in 2005, there were still a suprising amount of parts still available from Bobcat and somewhat reasonably priced too.