new to site, have a question about wheel motor noise

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

firebird_1995

i have a 94 bobcat 773 that i bought not running. after i got it started i noticed the left wheel motor groans while trying to move in forward and reverse. using the right side seems to help it out but its not pulling its share of the weight. after about 10 minutes of limping it around it will start to bog the engine down while trying to maneuver it back to the shed and eventually die. i took the wheel motor off tonight and disassembled it and found a few grooves on the geroler star and rollers but nothing horrible. im thinking it might be in the pump now. tomorrow im going to reassemble the left motor and swap it with the right and see if the problem follows the motor. do you guys have any other suggestions for a newbie? thanks

Des

A simple test to do on the pump is to fit steel caps to the fittings that go to the motor,start the machine and move the steering if the stick is hard to move and you are able to stall the engine then that pump is ok.Best to do this with the wheels off the ground.

biggie

When u had the motor off. Was the C-clip, that holds the motor carrier shaft. still there? The shaft could B moving away from the geroler, opening a gap, 2 the distibutor. Just a thought.

OP
OP
F

firebird_1995

When u had the motor off. Was the C-clip, that holds the motor carrier shaft. still there? The shaft could B moving away from the geroler, opening a gap, 2 the distibutor. Just a thought.
i dont recall seeing a c-clip on the motor. i replaced the motor with a good used one and that healed it. thanks!

OP
OP
F

firebird_1995

good T/S skills did you get that here?
ive always considered myself to be mechanically inclined. im a refrigeration and a/c service tech so i do a lot of troubleshooting. however, i am new to diesel engines and skid steers so i did rely on the experience of the members of this site. the search tool is your friend.

OP
OP
F

firebird_1995

ive always considered myself to be mechanically inclined. im a refrigeration and a/c service tech so i do a lot of troubleshooting. however, i am new to diesel engines and skid steers so i did rely on the experience of the members of this site. the search tool is your friend.
i figured rather than start a new thread i would just bring this one back. well my junkyard wheel motor worked outstanding..... for about 1 hour. the old problems are back again. moaning, groaning, wont move forward or backward. pretty sure its shot now too. im at a loss with this one.. i replaced all the filters and put fresh oil back in. what could be causing it to eat motors?

Bobcatdan

i figured rather than start a new thread i would just bring this one back. well my junkyard wheel motor worked outstanding..... for about 1 hour. the old problems are back again. moaning, groaning, wont move forward or backward. pretty sure its shot now too. im at a loss with this one.. i replaced all the filters and put fresh oil back in. what could be causing it to eat motors?
Did you ever cap the drive motor hoses and check if the pump is good. If the pump is good, when stroke the lever, it should pull the engine down to the point snubs. Other then that I would say there could be something with the carrier bearings. The carrier sets the preload on the carrier group. I would also jack it up and remove the case dain line run it ans see how much oil comes out. There sould be some, not a lot with very little pressure behind it. If there is a lot of oil, there is too much oil bypassing in the motor. Maybe it was just a bad motor, being a used junk yard motor.

OP
OP
F

firebird_1995

Did you ever cap the drive motor hoses and check if the pump is good. If the pump is good, when stroke the lever, it should pull the engine down to the point snubs. Other then that I would say there could be something with the carrier bearings. The carrier sets the preload on the carrier group. I would also jack it up and remove the case dain line run it ans see how much oil comes out. There sould be some, not a lot with very little pressure behind it. If there is a lot of oil, there is too much oil bypassing in the motor. Maybe it was just a bad motor, being a used junk yard motor.
Yes I did cap the lines. It would stall the engine at full stroke. I'm wondering if the pump might be entraining air and causing cavitation.

Latest posts