New to Forum, T190 bobcat needs headgasket and more

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ccaissie

Beginning a teardown for a client on a Bobcat t190 Serial # 519314690. Was out on loan, wouldn't start, many attempts, was found with mayonnaise in the crankcase..was drained asap. Was told the head replaced not too long ago..old one was cracked... Would you guys pull the head and assess the situation first, or is it smarter to yank the entire engine and go from there? I see no way to drop the pan. any tricks? torch? If I just pull the head, and confirm that's where the issue is, what else is recommended for flushing the goo out and proceeding...or does the previous question say "yank the whole thing"? thanks for any advice... what mfg year is this thing based on Serial # ?

SkidRoe

Welcome to the forum!!
The typical regime for major service is to pull out the engine and hydraulic pumps in one piece. It sound like a huge job, but the machines were design to have it taken out this way. And yes, I think pulling the oil pan would be a good idea while you are at it to make sure that there are no nasties in there.
Fingers crossed for you - SR

farmshop

If pulling the engine isn't someplace you want to start a compression test and a cooling system leak down may help you. Is it the head? Is it liner o rings ?oil cooler? Should be a heat indicator disc on the head someplace is it there? Good indicator of it getting too hot

Skidder2

I have a t190 with serial # 531xxxxxx. It is a 2007 . Would that indicate Yours is an older year machine maybe ?

Tazza

Staff member
I have a t190 with serial # 531xxxxxx. It is a 2007 . Would that indicate Yours is an older year machine maybe ?
I second pulling the mumpand motor as one unit.
You have water in the oil, and a previous head swap, i wonder if you could have a bent rod. It may just be me, but if you are potentially putting a new head on, or at least head gasket, i'd pull the pistons and re-ring it when you check the rods are still straight. You then have the best chance of things going well this time round.
Give the bores a quick scuff up, new rings, clean and grease all the bearings and you shoudl be good to go.

OP
OP
ccaissie

ccaissie

I second pulling the mumpand motor as one unit.
You have water in the oil, and a previous head swap, i wonder if you could have a bent rod. It may just be me, but if you are potentially putting a new head on, or at least head gasket, i'd pull the pistons and re-ring it when you check the rods are still straight. You then have the best chance of things going well this time round.
Give the bores a quick scuff up, new rings, clean and grease all the bearings and you shoudl be good to go.
OK. I did remove head, #2 full of coolant, crack in the #2 Head right at the precombustion chamber insert. This head is a rebuild judging by the machine marks on the deck...not the original pattern. Bobcat service guys said check the piston height Re: bent stuff and change oil 3x after replacement. Otherwise should be ok to just replace head. I do appreciate the wisdom of yanking and checking everything while out. The exhaust manifold was not an easy removal so many things can go better with complete removal. How about a source for the head? Part #6675642 Dealer wants $2299 bare head and strangely, $2200 for assembled. USED? Sources?