New Old 220 owner rookie

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Ty

Hello all, Just purchased a 220 mini fixer upper for around and under the house. I'll start with a simple question like where is the serial# supposed to be located? Then I can get a service manual and see what I can and can't fix on my own. My main concern is the right side track has very little power. It arrived with a blown line which I replaced. It seems to have more power when it's dozing than it does just moving around, which is almost nill, forwards or back. The bucket won't stay curled and the blade won't stay up or lift the machine. It digs pretty good I guess. (Never used one before) Took a good size stump out with it for a test. The boom will lift the unit off the ground so it seems the pump gets good pressure to some places. I don't even know if there is more than one pump. Once I can get a hold of a repair manual and get a little educated on the valve blocks, pistons, and so on I'll pick your brains on the unknown. Thanks, Ty

Tazza

Staff member
Ram creap will be either piston seals in the rams or bad load checks in the control block, both of which can be fixed. The way you are talking the hydraulic pump is fine as you have heaps of digging power.
It sounds like you either have a weak drive motor or a worn hydrostatic pump that powers the drive motors. Again, should be repairable if you have the patience and ability. It could also be a blocked filter causing lack of power, but because its only one side i would lean towards the theory its a worn pump or motor.

Fishfiles

the serial number plate should have been on the side panel of the machine held on by 4 rivets , look for 4 holes in a square pattern , its probally gone , the pump is set up in stages , each stage runs several funtions , it's been long time since I dealt with a 220 , but seem to remember the function breakdown fits your lost of power on discribed curcuits , in other words they are all linked , one way you could verify is to switch the hoses on the pump and see if the problems switch to another set of function , the bleed down of cylinders would be internal piston seal leak down , I don't think the 220 had high speed travel , but early Bobcats that did have the high speed travel and where staying engaged does the dozer blade and track lost of power thing

OP
OP
T

Ty

the serial number plate should have been on the side panel of the machine held on by 4 rivets , look for 4 holes in a square pattern , its probally gone , the pump is set up in stages , each stage runs several funtions , it's been long time since I dealt with a 220 , but seem to remember the function breakdown fits your lost of power on discribed curcuits , in other words they are all linked , one way you could verify is to switch the hoses on the pump and see if the problems switch to another set of function , the bleed down of cylinders would be internal piston seal leak down , I don't think the 220 had high speed travel , but early Bobcats that did have the high speed travel and where staying engaged does the dozer blade and track lost of power thing
Thanks for the input guys. Just 4 holes is all that's left of the serial # I saw a couple manuals on Ebay for 60 to 80 bucks. I'll order one and take it from there. Ty

Fishfiles

Thanks for the input guys. Just 4 holes is all that's left of the serial # I saw a couple manuals on Ebay for 60 to 80 bucks. I'll order one and take it from there. Ty
The serial number should have been on the bill of sale , who did you get it from ask them , or ask the dealer to seach their records for the person who supposively bought it , it could be hot , personally I would never get involved with a machine without a serial number , possesion of stolen property ain't worth it and getting parts can be a problem without a serial number , I have seen the serial number punched into the frame on Bobcats in other places , one place to look on the old 220's is behind a panel that came off the side to exposes the hydraulic pump ad other places as well

OP
OP
T

Ty

The serial number should have been on the bill of sale , who did you get it from ask them , or ask the dealer to seach their records for the person who supposively bought it , it could be hot , personally I would never get involved with a machine without a serial number , possesion of stolen property ain't worth it and getting parts can be a problem without a serial number , I have seen the serial number punched into the frame on Bobcats in other places , one place to look on the old 220's is behind a panel that came off the side to exposes the hydraulic pump ad other places as well
I have noticed a connection when moving some shrubs in the bucket, as soon as I start to crawl the bucket will move, so I will check that circut. I'll also look a little deeper for the numbers. Any chance it's like a car and the numbers on the engine match? Provided it's original. Did manage to unearth the old septic tank right where I wanted to go under the house! Guess it just means more play time in the sand box.

OP
OP
T

Ty

I have noticed a connection when moving some shrubs in the bucket, as soon as I start to crawl the bucket will move, so I will check that circut. I'll also look a little deeper for the numbers. Any chance it's like a car and the numbers on the engine match? Provided it's original. Did manage to unearth the old septic tank right where I wanted to go under the house! Guess it just means more play time in the sand box.
Found some numbers on the turret 166(?)3.81/105 762-24 second 6 could be a 5 maybe.

Latest posts