New member, spooky feeling

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Greg185

I am a brand new member to the skidsteer forum. Recently purchased a 2004 Bobcat S185 with 950 hrs. I've run serveral skidsteers over the years, but this is my first ownership. Something that gives me the spooks is this. I have a 20 ft tilt bed trailer with the front 4 ft stationary. The incline is minimal when loading the Bobcat on to the trailer. With an attachment on the Bobcat and driving the Bobcat on, everything is fine. The other day, I wanted to put the Bobcat on the trailer without a bucket. When I entered on to the incline of the trailer, with no weight on the front of the Bobcat, it just spooked me with the front being so light and the front wheels began to rise. It just felt like it was going to tip over backward. The reason that I was wanting to go on forward, was to retrieve a front snow blade that was on my trailer. I ended up manually turning the blade to the side of the trailer and lifing it off from the side. Would the Bobcat tip over backward or is this something that I just need to get used to and that it won't go over backward. Yeah, I know, when transporting the Bobcat, it should be backed on. And, I do do this when transporting the Bobcat. I just wanted to retreive this attachment and thought I could possibly drive on to get it. Just gave me this spooky feeling of tipping over backward. Thanks for any responces. Greg

OldMachinist

I don't think you can tip it over backwards just going up the the incline of a trailer. I have tipped mine back on its tail many times going uphill with no load on the front and it can be scary sometimes. My machine if small enough that I can turn around once I'm up on the trailer if I need to. But that can be a little tricky too the first couple of times.

Kermode

I don't think you can tip it over backwards just going up the the incline of a trailer. I have tipped mine back on its tail many times going uphill with no load on the front and it can be scary sometimes. My machine if small enough that I can turn around once I'm up on the trailer if I need to. But that can be a little tricky too the first couple of times.
A S185 won't tip over backwards because the tail end hits before it goes over onto the back door. However, I wouldn't try to do what you want to do. Once you are up on the back tires you have little or no control, little visibility etc. Its just a bad thing to do. I load my extra attachments over the side at the front and then back the machine on. This can be a problem with a tilt deck trailer like you have because you don't have enough room on the front, non-tilting part for most attachments to fit. So, I guess I don't have an answer for you, just more noise.

skidsteer.ca

A S185 won't tip over backwards because the tail end hits before it goes over onto the back door. However, I wouldn't try to do what you want to do. Once you are up on the back tires you have little or no control, little visibility etc. Its just a bad thing to do. I load my extra attachments over the side at the front and then back the machine on. This can be a problem with a tilt deck trailer like you have because you don't have enough room on the front, non-tilting part for most attachments to fit. So, I guess I don't have an answer for you, just more noise.
Duplicate removed

skidsteer.ca

You may have to add axel weights, foam filled tires or some other type of balast to the front if you need to do this. Or buy a Deere or NH as they have more weight on the front wheels.
A bobcat can have flat tires on the front and you won't notice, There is almost no weight there without the attachment.
Ken

sp6x6

You may have to add axel weights, foam filled tires or some other type of balast to the front if you need to do this. Or buy a Deere or NH as they have more weight on the front wheels.
A bobcat can have flat tires on the front and you won't notice, There is almost no weight there without the attachment.
Ken
Ihave same type trailer, mine does same thing, but only in first foot of the steeper beavertail ramp. I tried a wood wedge to lessen angle and this helped, I PLAN ON a little welded modification.

skidsteer.ca

Ihave same type trailer, mine does same thing, but only in first foot of the steeper beavertail ramp. I tried a wood wedge to lessen angle and this helped, I PLAN ON a little welded modification.
Yes, if you can spare hauling a little extra weight, then counter weight the front, You would be surprised what even 100 or 200 lbs would do.
Ken

wright const

Yes, if you can spare hauling a little extra weight, then counter weight the front, You would be surprised what even 100 or 200 lbs would do.
Ken
Here is what i do when you have to drive on,run a chain from the front of your trailer to the rear but over your bob-tach and under the machine (hard to explain i guess) that way when i pops a wheelie the chain stops you from the heart attack.