New Holland Skid Steer Start Interlock Relay Location

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

lrotunda

I have an LS170 New Holland skid steer. To no surprise, I'm having trouble getting it to start in the run position of the toggle switch located in the fuse box in the cab. It will start in the service position and then if I switch it to the run position, reconnect the seat belt and push the unlock button for the hydraulics all is good. I've gone through all the diagnostics for the seat switch and seat belts and those are not the problem. My next point of attack is to take a look at the start interlock relay. I have a service manual and it shows that that relay should be next to the fuse block located in the engine compartment. That relay is not there. I've tried to chase the wires from the seat switch but it's extremely hard to follow. I've tried to look in every compartment that there is on the machine with no luck. I bought the machine used, but I can't see where any wires were cut/disturbed or crossed. What am I missing here?

Mike10

You have one of the last LS models when NH went to the plastic instrument panel with the button to activate control valve solenoids. The service manual does not show this setup. You will need to look in a LS.B manual. The relays you see in the engine fuse compartment are from left to right. Run relay, fuel interlock relay, start interlock relay, hazard light relay, if equipped, and heater/air cond relay, if equpped. If you have hazard lights then switch the start interlock relay with the hazard relay. I have start wiring schematics where I colored in the individual circuits posted on another forum website. Go to haytalk.com, forums, machinery. At the top of this forum are three pinned posts. Choose MY NH Repair etc. On the first page is a list of all the post I have in that tread. Scroll down the first post until you reach the skid loader section. Choose late model LS with plastic instrument panels. You will need to join the forum to view the pdfs.

OP
OP
L

lrotunda

You have one of the last LS models when NH went to the plastic instrument panel with the button to activate control valve solenoids. The service manual does not show this setup. You will need to look in a LS.B manual. The relays you see in the engine fuse compartment are from left to right. Run relay, fuel interlock relay, start interlock relay, hazard light relay, if equipped, and heater/air cond relay, if equpped. If you have hazard lights then switch the start interlock relay with the hazard relay. I have start wiring schematics where I colored in the individual circuits posted on another forum website. Go to haytalk.com, forums, machinery. At the top of this forum are three pinned posts. Choose MY NH Repair etc. On the first page is a list of all the post I have in that tread. Scroll down the first post until you reach the skid loader section. Choose late model LS with plastic instrument panels. You will need to join the forum to view the pdfs.
Mike: I've done a search for LS B manuals online to download and they are only available for LS 185 and LS 190. Would this be the same manual that I have. LR

Mike10

Mike: I've done a search for LS B manuals online to download and they are only available for LS 185 and LS 190. Would this be the same manual that I have. LR
There never was a LS185 only a LS185.B or L185. Do not bother getting one of those manuals since nothing else is the same between your loader and those. The important wiring diagrams are in my post at Haytalk.com.

OP
OP
L

lrotunda

One year later and I'm still unable to determine why my NH LS170 will not start in the regular manner. I can start it in the Service position, then connect the seat belt and hit the boom release button and all is good, but in the run position it will not turn over. I have replaced the seat switch, and the seat belt and per Mike10 switched the relay to no avail. Per some discussions elsewhere, I am going to change out the ignition switch. I have also come across a diagnostic procedure which indicates that if you hear a rapid clicking sound, the starter relay could be bad, but is the starter relay used when starting in the service position? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike10

One year later and I'm still unable to determine why my NH LS170 will not start in the regular manner. I can start it in the Service position, then connect the seat belt and hit the boom release button and all is good, but in the run position it will not turn over. I have replaced the seat switch, and the seat belt and per Mike10 switched the relay to no avail. Per some discussions elsewhere, I am going to change out the ignition switch. I have also come across a diagnostic procedure which indicates that if you hear a rapid clicking sound, the starter relay could be bad, but is the starter relay used when starting in the service position? Any help would be appreciated.
Go to haytalk.com -> Forums -> machinery -> My NH Repair etc. psst at the top of the forum post list. Scroll down the first post in that thread until you get to skid loaders. Under skid loaders will be links to posts with the wiring schematics for various models. Choose Late LS and LS.B link. I have the circuits color coated so you can follow them. There is a page for each circuit added so you can see the progression of the circuits. Also in that post is a photo with the relays identified so you can recheck you changed the correct relay...………………… A rapid clicking of the start relay is an indication of low voltage and not a bad relay.

rodbuilder

I buy and sell this stuff and the ONE thing I have found with the Holland loaders that goes bad is, oddly enough, the seat belt!!! Before you go any farther, get some spray OIL (NOT WD40) and spray it into the seat belt latch, then plug and unplug the seat belt in and out of the latch a dozen times. There's a microswitch inside it that will corrode and stick when it gets enough moisture in it!! This is a really common problem with Holland loaders, especially if it doesn't have a door on it. If that doesn't fix the seat belt a new one is about $127!!! REALLY!!!! And one WITHOUT the switch is $13 at Oreilly's, but it won't work!! GOTCHYA!! Don't ya' just love it?

JDWY

I buy and sell this stuff and the ONE thing I have found with the Holland loaders that goes bad is, oddly enough, the seat belt!!! Before you go any farther, get some spray OIL (NOT WD40) and spray it into the seat belt latch, then plug and unplug the seat belt in and out of the latch a dozen times. There's a microswitch inside it that will corrode and stick when it gets enough moisture in it!! This is a really common problem with Holland loaders, especially if it doesn't have a door on it. If that doesn't fix the seat belt a new one is about $127!!! REALLY!!!! And one WITHOUT the switch is $13 at Oreilly's, but it won't work!! GOTCHYA!! Don't ya' just love it?
I agree, Rodbuilder, my seat belt switch was getting a little bit unreliable, not completing the circuit now and then after buckling. I blew it out with my air compressor and so far so good.

OP
OP
L

lrotunda

I agree, Rodbuilder, my seat belt switch was getting a little bit unreliable, not completing the circuit now and then after buckling. I blew it out with my air compressor and so far so good.
Thanks to all of you who gave me suggestions. After a 1 year (off and on) battle with my LS170, and trying every suggestion, I was just about to give up when I made a modification to Rodbuilder's suggestion of putting oil in the female part of the seat belt switch. I smeared bulb grease on the male end of the seat belt metal piece that goes into the female end and voila, that cured the problem. It starts each time. All I can say is that New Holland has a lame seat belt interlock system at best. I have one other problem: My front hydraulics (not the bucket), but the quick release ones don't work. I am posting that question on a new thread if you want to take a swing at that. Thanks again. Larry

Matt Verbeten

LS 140. Starts and only runs if I hold the key on. It starts up but shuts off right away. It will start and run with the service switch on

mrbb

LS 140. Starts and only runs if I hold the key on. It starts up but shuts off right away. It will start and run with the service switch on
do yourself a favor, start a new thread, as this is a pretty old one and many won' re visit! plus you will get better help based on YOUR topic as to placing things in this one!
That said, maybe try replacing the key switch> they do go bad and there pretty cheap to try!