New Holland LX865

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tommy631

Hello, I'm new here. I just bought a New Holland LX 865 that had been sitting for a couple of years. It has 2900 hrs on it. After a complete service of fluids and filters, its up and running. But, it is smoking white/blueish like crazy. Clears up to barely visible at high rpms. Seems to have plenty of power. Praying its just a injector problem. I'm worried sick it may be a dead/worn cylinder(s). Hoping I didn't get burned for $4500.00. Any expert advice?

OP
OP
T

Tommy631

Any bubbles or oil film in the rad when it is running?
No bubbles or film. If you stand behind the machine when it is running there is a strong smell of fuel. It actually burns your eyes. I have never had any experience with dead cylinder. I've never even seen one. I think it is weird the way the smoke clears up when running wide open. Seems like a ring problem would smoke more.

jerry

No bubbles or film. If you stand behind the machine when it is running there is a strong smell of fuel. It actually burns your eyes. I have never had any experience with dead cylinder. I've never even seen one. I think it is weird the way the smoke clears up when running wide open. Seems like a ring problem would smoke more.
If you have a no contact type temp gauge you may be able to tell if you have a cylinder not running right by the difference in exhaust temp. Although it should really sound rough also. Not familiar with how a bad turbo would act or how you can tell but it seems that would reduce air supply and make it run very rich.

OP
OP
T

Tommy631

If you have a no contact type temp gauge you may be able to tell if you have a cylinder not running right by the difference in exhaust temp. Although it should really sound rough also. Not familiar with how a bad turbo would act or how you can tell but it seems that would reduce air supply and make it run very rich.
I don't have the no contact gauge, wish I did. The engine shakes pretty bad at less than 950 rpms +- . The turbo turns freely and looks relatively clean. I'm going to take the injectors to a shop tomorrow to have them tested and rebuilt or replaced if necessary. From what I'm hearing around, a lot of folks don't think that is the problem. It may be a waste of money, but I just got to know. If that doesn't fix it, I'm taking it to a shop. (to save my sanity, LOL)

robb

I don't have the no contact gauge, wish I did. The engine shakes pretty bad at less than 950 rpms +- . The turbo turns freely and looks relatively clean. I'm going to take the injectors to a shop tomorrow to have them tested and rebuilt or replaced if necessary. From what I'm hearing around, a lot of folks don't think that is the problem. It may be a waste of money, but I just got to know. If that doesn't fix it, I'm taking it to a shop. (to save my sanity, LOL)
White smoke is unburned fuel, are you getting any fuel in the oil ?

shelby

..I hope that you have an injector problem too, it would certainly be the easy fix. But you did not get a bad deal on the machine, $4500 is not too steep, and since the machine only has 3000 hours, you have a some lee way to do some work, I think market value is still around $15000. Hopefully everything works out for you....S

OP
OP
T

Tommy631

..I hope that you have an injector problem too, it would certainly be the easy fix. But you did not get a bad deal on the machine, $4500 is not too steep, and since the machine only has 3000 hours, you have a some lee way to do some work, I think market value is still around $15000. Hopefully everything works out for you....S
Robb, I haven't had the machine long enough to determine whether the fuel is getting into the oil. Shelby, I did a lot of research before buying the machine. The absolute lowest price I found was around 8k. It went up from there. The average price on machine finder was around 12k or so. Highest being around 16, and was stated to be a "cream puff" . I guess I could put another 4 or 5K in it and still come out ahead. I would lose out on the "bargain" factor, but not really get burned....

OP
OP
T

Tommy631

Robb, I haven't had the machine long enough to determine whether the fuel is getting into the oil. Shelby, I did a lot of research before buying the machine. The absolute lowest price I found was around 8k. It went up from there. The average price on machine finder was around 12k or so. Highest being around 16, and was stated to be a "cream puff" . I guess I could put another 4 or 5K in it and still come out ahead. I would lose out on the "bargain" factor, but not really get burned....
Well, I must be living right. The problem ended up being the Thermostart switch. The switch (or Plug) was not shutting off the fuel after the engine was running. The constant dumping of fuel was too much for the engine to overcome when running at low rpms. At high rpms, while it was still running lean, the engine could burn off most of the extra fuel. It ended up being a $39.78 fix. Thanks to all who jumped and tried to help.. This is a great forum.

irwin

Well, I must be living right. The problem ended up being the Thermostart switch. The switch (or Plug) was not shutting off the fuel after the engine was running. The constant dumping of fuel was too much for the engine to overcome when running at low rpms. At high rpms, while it was still running lean, the engine could burn off most of the extra fuel. It ended up being a $39.78 fix. Thanks to all who jumped and tried to help.. This is a great forum.
I've been following this thread, I love a happy ending.. good for you.

OP
OP
T

Tommy631

How did you figure it out? good to hear you got it fixed, just curious what led you to this switch.
There was some luck involved...I pulled the injectors out with the intention of getting them rebuilt. While I was at it, I noticed the extra fuel line running into the intake manifold. I have never seen a thermostart set-up before. I was thinking it was another injector of some sort. When I took it out, it was soaked with raw fuel. After looking at in for a couple of minutes I noticed the spring in the valve. It was stuck open. I was getting voltage and heat but the fuel valve was not opening or closing. It only gets voltage for a couple of seconds at start. If you push the pre heat button, the voltage is constant. I decided to put the switch and the injectors back in. I did not hook the fuel line back to the thermostart, instead, I ran a hose from it to a jug sitting on the floor. I crank up the engine, no smoke. It was constantly dumping fuel into the jug. Them engine was running great. I knew then what the problem was. I got one from New Holland and that was it.

jerry

There was some luck involved...I pulled the injectors out with the intention of getting them rebuilt. While I was at it, I noticed the extra fuel line running into the intake manifold. I have never seen a thermostart set-up before. I was thinking it was another injector of some sort. When I took it out, it was soaked with raw fuel. After looking at in for a couple of minutes I noticed the spring in the valve. It was stuck open. I was getting voltage and heat but the fuel valve was not opening or closing. It only gets voltage for a couple of seconds at start. If you push the pre heat button, the voltage is constant. I decided to put the switch and the injectors back in. I did not hook the fuel line back to the thermostart, instead, I ran a hose from it to a jug sitting on the floor. I crank up the engine, no smoke. It was constantly dumping fuel into the jug. Them engine was running great. I knew then what the problem was. I got one from New Holland and that was it.
Thanks for posting that, solutions like that are really good to find out about. If it can just be remembered when you need it.

shelby

....I am very happy to hear this happy ending too, I will also keep this fix in mind as well, since I have a 99 865 LX too. One more thing to check on your machine.....make sure that your hydraulic pressure switch, that comes off your charge pump, make sure that your sensor is not leaking, I just changed the one on our machine, it was not leaking much.....just enough to make a mess. Another thing to watch for, sometimes when changing attachments, the roll pins that hold your bucket lock pins in place.....well!!!!!they can slip out, I have been lucky so far, have not lost one yet......but if you are changing attachments quite frequently, it might be good to have a spare one on hand. Good luck with your machine, its great that it was a cheap fix. PS...one other thing we did with our machine as well, we added a inline fuel filter, after having a bit of difficulty with the factory new holland system......I don`t know why they could not have installed just a regular spin on fuel filter, instead of that goofy setup that is on there now........S

OP
OP
T

Tommy631

....I am very happy to hear this happy ending too, I will also keep this fix in mind as well, since I have a 99 865 LX too. One more thing to check on your machine.....make sure that your hydraulic pressure switch, that comes off your charge pump, make sure that your sensor is not leaking, I just changed the one on our machine, it was not leaking much.....just enough to make a mess. Another thing to watch for, sometimes when changing attachments, the roll pins that hold your bucket lock pins in place.....well!!!!!they can slip out, I have been lucky so far, have not lost one yet......but if you are changing attachments quite frequently, it might be good to have a spare one on hand. Good luck with your machine, its great that it was a cheap fix. PS...one other thing we did with our machine as well, we added a inline fuel filter, after having a bit of difficulty with the factory new holland system......I don`t know why they could not have installed just a regular spin on fuel filter, instead of that goofy setup that is on there now........S
Thanks for the tips Shelby. I agree with your filter assesssment. Kind of primitive. I'm going to tip the cab this weekend with a borrowed jack. I want to see what's underneath and give it a good go over. One thing I noticed today was the pedal seems out of adjustment. When lifting the boom, if I heel it all the way down, the lift-up stops completely. It seems to have a sweet spot where it works correctly. It also seems a little weak with a load of dirt. It will lift it all the way up if you hold the pedal in the "sweet spot", but not real fast. Lowering the boom is the same. Toe it all the way down and it stops instantly. Raise my toe a little and it comes down pretty quick. It too has a sweet spot. Any ideas? Looks like I need to get a service manual for this thing.......

shelby

Thanks for the tips Shelby. I agree with your filter assesssment. Kind of primitive. I'm going to tip the cab this weekend with a borrowed jack. I want to see what's underneath and give it a good go over. One thing I noticed today was the pedal seems out of adjustment. When lifting the boom, if I heel it all the way down, the lift-up stops completely. It seems to have a sweet spot where it works correctly. It also seems a little weak with a load of dirt. It will lift it all the way up if you hold the pedal in the "sweet spot", but not real fast. Lowering the boom is the same. Toe it all the way down and it stops instantly. Raise my toe a little and it comes down pretty quick. It too has a sweet spot. Any ideas? Looks like I need to get a service manual for this thing.......
....Good evening to you You know....I have been running this machine for so long now, I have never really paid attention to pedal position, but I will fool around with mine tomorrow, I don`t think I ever depress those pedals fully in either up or down position(I will check).......and for what it is worth....I never run at full throttle either, maybe three quarter, and that would be about all......I am getting that stupid `(ERROR 2) on my display again......I am usually out of the machine though when it happens.....so it is maybe that seat sensor screwing around. Be careful when your jacking that machine up.......maybe get a service manual......I have never done this operation with this one before, and for the most part...you really don`t need to lift it, you should be able to check everything quite adequately, just lifting your seat and locking it, make sure your center gear box oil level is ok, also check your upper rad hose for wear, there is a spot that it may touch the engine and vibration is never a good thing. Another thing that can happen, it has happened to me twice, my hydraulic filter has come loose, that can make a big mess very quickly, but usually you will smell that oil, and know that something is wrong One other thing, just to be on the safe side, just in case they have not been done in a while, pull your wheels and grease the nipples on the wheel hub assembly, they recommend doing them every 1000 hours or when ever you have a wheel off, it might be good to do that just for your own piece of mind. I will play with those pedals in the AM and let you know what I find.....later S

Latest posts