New Holland L779

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

larryb346

I have been looking at a New Holland L779. It seems to be in good shape with a gas motor. The boom and tip hyd. are quite and operate as they should. The issue is when I engage the travel levers the drive motors make a loud noise. It doesn't make any difference if going straight or turning they howl or make noise. The best i can describe is like a car power steering pump running low on fluid. It appears the drive system on these are fairly complicated and very expensive to work on. The pressure light is off and fluid tank is up to level. It is loud enough to be heard maybe a hundred feet or more away. Is this normal on these? Any suggestions on cause? It is 100 miles away so not able to do any testing on it. The New Holland dealer here says run away. I am also going to go look at a L785 with a Perkins next week the guy says it is in good shape but about twice the cost of the 779. I am not familiar with the sounds of the hydrostatic drives. I have a Melrose 610 I have had for years and it is very quite while traveling or turning. Thanks Larry

OP
OP
L

larryb346

The hydros in that series of loader are very loud.
Thanks Mike10 I know sound is hard to describe, This thing is loud enough sitting in the operator position it would be very difficult to talk to someone without yelling when you move the levers. It really is loud. If you think this would be normal, I would buy it. It is really in good shape for the year. I have never heard one of these running. The thing that has me really scared is the guy that owns it. He bought it to turn. He knows nothing about them and has been working on it. When I went to look at it I asked about the pressure light not being on and he said the light was on and the buzzer sounded so he disconnected it,. He had been driving it around and using it lightly for several weeks. I walked away at that point to do some research. Looking on line I was able to determine there was a filter prior to the motors I called him and ask if he would temporarily bypass that filter to see if it cured the low pressure switch issue and helped the noise level . I called him back and he said it cured the light issue and he said he had driven it 2 or 3 miles with the filter bypassed to see if it got quieter and it had not. I felt so much for temporary bypass. He did say he has cut the filter open and it didn't contain any metal partials. He said it did seem to have more power and speed after the filter removal. Sorry for the book but trying to give yo a better picture of whats going on. Thanks for looking and giving me advice. Larry

OP
OP
L

larryb346

Thanks Mike10 I know sound is hard to describe, This thing is loud enough sitting in the operator position it would be very difficult to talk to someone without yelling when you move the levers. It really is loud. If you think this would be normal, I would buy it. It is really in good shape for the year. I have never heard one of these running. The thing that has me really scared is the guy that owns it. He bought it to turn. He knows nothing about them and has been working on it. When I went to look at it I asked about the pressure light not being on and he said the light was on and the buzzer sounded so he disconnected it,. He had been driving it around and using it lightly for several weeks. I walked away at that point to do some research. Looking on line I was able to determine there was a filter prior to the motors I called him and ask if he would temporarily bypass that filter to see if it cured the low pressure switch issue and helped the noise level . I called him back and he said it cured the light issue and he said he had driven it 2 or 3 miles with the filter bypassed to see if it got quieter and it had not. I felt so much for temporary bypass. He did say he has cut the filter open and it didn't contain any metal partials. He said it did seem to have more power and speed after the filter removal. Sorry for the book but trying to give yo a better picture of whats going on. Thanks for looking and giving me advice. Larry
As a follow up question, if I go look at the L785 should it have the same loud whine in the motors as the L779 or is it a totally different type system. Thanks Larry

Mike10

As a follow up question, if I go look at the L785 should it have the same loud whine in the motors as the L779 or is it a totally different type system. Thanks Larry
The noise level is high in these models but with out hearing it I don't know how loud this one is. The light issue is a different matter. It could just be a bad sender or something more serious. If it was me I would walk away from it. All hydros make noise some more than others. The L785 will be quite a bit quieter.

Mikefromcny

The noise level is high in these models but with out hearing it I don't know how loud this one is. The light issue is a different matter. It could just be a bad sender or something more serious. If it was me I would walk away from it. All hydros make noise some more than others. The L785 will be quite a bit quieter.
How much does he want for it? I've seen some pretty ridiculously priced ones here in NY to the tune of $8-9k...for that much you could easily pick up an LX885 at auction. The more reasonable ones I see are $4-5k A 779 or even 785 probably won't have aux hydraulics or even a standard quick attach.

Mikefromcny

How much does he want for it? I've seen some pretty ridiculously priced ones here in NY to the tune of $8-9k...for that much you could easily pick up an LX885 at auction. The more reasonable ones I see are $4-5k A 779 or even 785 probably won't have aux hydraulics or even a standard quick attach.
In my opinion auction numbers are what somethings really worth, what someone is willing to pay for it RIGHT NOW. None of this 'it was my grandfathers' or 'a new one is 40k, my old gas one must be worth 8k'. http://www.auctiontime.com/OnlineAuctions/Details.aspx?OHID=9145637&lp=mat

OP
OP
L

larryb346

In my opinion auction numbers are what somethings really worth, what someone is willing to pay for it RIGHT NOW. None of this 'it was my grandfathers' or 'a new one is 40k, my old gas one must be worth 8k'. http://www.auctiontime.com/OnlineAuctions/Details.aspx?OHID=9145637&lp=mat
Thanks Mike10. My concern beside the noise is the owners tendency to just do what ever. Like running the thing a couple hours with the filter bypassed. He said it broke a hose on the boom as soon as he bought it so he replaced it and didn't know what to put back in the hydraulics so he poured in dextron atf. He said one side case had atf and he though it needed to be oil so he filled it up with 30 wt motor oil. He hasn't tried to find out what was correct on anything just went ahead and did what ever. I am going to pass on it I think. MIkefromcyn. He will sell it for $4500. It has new tires and wheels. It is a 6 cyl gas and runs great. Everything is fine except the noisy drive motors and the knowledge I have of his mickey mousing stuff. The L785 is $8000 has a Perkins motor and 2300 hours. The biggy with it is it comes with a parts machine. The parts rig has no wheels but still has a Perkins, the wheel motors, boom etc. It has been used but kept inside when not used. and not left sitting outside. I am going to look at it later this week.

Latest posts