New Holland L553. Where is the hydro storage tank?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

scottlandyard

I'm working on a L553 that had a fire. My fuel tank top was melted. Is this also the hydro tank? Does anyone have or know of a used parts supplier for these machines? I need a used tank, instrument panel, possibly a injection pump for the kubota V1902. Might anyone have a service manual i could buy? I appreciate your response. I'm in Maine 20seven 691 8324 [email protected] http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/sb/sblhbt/.mids/CIMG7381.JPG
http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/sb/sblhbt/CIMG7382.JPG
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/sblhbt/CIMG6897.JPG

Tazza

Staff member
You sure have some work to do!
Good luck with it.
I edited your links too, they are now clickable

irwin

Whoa! You've got some work ahead of you.
emotion-8.gif

The hydraulic oil tanks are the chain cases.......two of them, one per side. no other tank for hydraulic fluid on that machine.
Your best bet could be finding another dead one, but not burned. The L555 and the L553 are basically the same.
I bought my manuals through ebay. Good luck in your part search.

Earthwerks Unlimited

Whoa! You've got some work ahead of you.
The hydraulic oil tanks are the chain cases.......two of them, one per side. no other tank for hydraulic fluid on that machine.
Your best bet could be finding another dead one, but not burned. The L555 and the L553 are basically the same.
I bought my manuals through ebay. Good luck in your part search.
I dunno---I think after you break it all down into dollars and cents--not only in parts but your labor (you have to put a dollar value on your work---if you don't then I have plenty of non-paying work to keep you busy!!!), you'll be much farther ahead to buy something already running or near running that will not require possibly hundreds of hours to get working right plus painting. For example my buddy and I were partners on a 1998 Lx665 that I found for $1,800 at a trash incineration depot. I sold my interest in it to him for $3,500. All he did was put new tires and rims on it and change the oil. It's now worth about $8-10K.
After it's all said and done you will be left with a machine that has been potentially been weakened by the intense heat.
You might be further off parting it out, and taking that money and putting toward another working one. And while you are at it, from a resale value, and from a parts availability standpoint, trade up to a maybe a 10 year old model which looks better (modern) too.

Tazza

Staff member
I dunno---I think after you break it all down into dollars and cents--not only in parts but your labor (you have to put a dollar value on your work---if you don't then I have plenty of non-paying work to keep you busy!!!), you'll be much farther ahead to buy something already running or near running that will not require possibly hundreds of hours to get working right plus painting. For example my buddy and I were partners on a 1998 Lx665 that I found for $1,800 at a trash incineration depot. I sold my interest in it to him for $3,500. All he did was put new tires and rims on it and change the oil. It's now worth about $8-10K.
After it's all said and done you will be left with a machine that has been potentially been weakened by the intense heat.
You might be further off parting it out, and taking that money and putting toward another working one. And while you are at it, from a resale value, and from a parts availability standpoint, trade up to a maybe a 10 year old model which looks better (modern) too.
Don't get me wrong, i have worked on burnt machines, i actually have one more to do. The fire was contained in the engine bay on all machines. It never got past the pump or into the cab.
For me, i didn't put a value on my time as i really didn't have anything else to do. As for weakening, i'm not sure about that, the 743 i did was pretty badly burnt in the engine bay, i cleaned it and painted it too. It has been going for about 4 years now, still no issues with bending or cracking where it got a bit warm. It got a bit warm, the engine didn't melt but the rocker cover did sag a little and totally destroyed the radiator.
If you got the machine cheap and have the equipment, it can be rewarding. If you need to buy most of the parts from the dealer, you may come out worse off i'm afraid. Parting it out isn't a bad idea. Get the engine up and running and you should be able to get a few K there, then pumps and cylinders. This is a last resort if you do your sums and find that parts will simply cost you too much.
Keep us up to date in the progress! I know that in time, the end result can be amazing, i have a machine to prove it :)

Dirtwise

Well your time and part's are going to be over the price of finding another machine! I also have a L553 with 4300 hours on it like to buy?

OP
OP
scottlandyard

scottlandyard

Thanks for your help. I got the engine running last night. Runs great, no smoke, no clatter. Now im removing the fuel tank from underneath and replacing a few hydraulic lines. Whats my best bet for lines? dealership? local hardware store that makes them? Anyone have some used ones for sale? Also, what is the correct size or group battery for the L553? Lastly will the hydraulic line solenoid need 12V for anything to move? Anyone have a service manual for sale? Thanks Scott

OP
OP
scottlandyard

scottlandyard

Thanks for your help. I got the engine running last night. Runs great, no smoke, no clatter. Now im removing the fuel tank from underneath and replacing a few hydraulic lines. Whats my best bet for lines? dealership? local hardware store that makes them? Anyone have some used ones for sale? Also, what is the correct size or group battery for the L553? Lastly will the hydraulic line solenoid need 12V for anything to move? Anyone have a service manual for sale? Thanks Scott
So the engine is running, radiator leak fixed and more parts have arrived. I still need a intake manifold for the Kabota V1902. Anyone have one for sale? If my hydros are bad, can they be rebuilt or whats the next step if this is the case? THANKS! Scott

Tazza

Staff member
So the engine is running, radiator leak fixed and more parts have arrived. I still need a intake manifold for the Kabota V1902. Anyone have one for sale? If my hydros are bad, can they be rebuilt or whats the next step if this is the case? THANKS! Scott
I believe any inlet manifold could be used from a V1702, V1903 or V2203. Someone has to have one laying around somewhere. If you were closer i'd offer you one, but freight would cost more than the part is worth!
The only differences is the 1702 seems to have the air opening at one end parallel to the intake ports, the 2203 has them at the end, so at right angles to the inlet ports (if that makes sense). I don't know if its a dealer thing or just how Kubota make them.
Good luck in the hunt.
Take lots of piccies of your progress!