New here, going to buy Bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

AiredAle

Hi Folks, I'm new here, and new to skid steers. My old plowtruck is on its last legs, and I am looking to buy a skid steer to move snow in winter from my 300 foot driveway, and to move dirt and pull buckthorn trees the rest of the year. Strictly homeowner use. Oh, forgot, I want to do some recreational hole digging too. I have done some studying and talking to experienced owners, and have narrowed my search to used Bobcat 74X and 75X series machines, with about 3000 or less hours, and a heated cab, (I'm in Minnesota). The 7XX series seems to be to be the Little Red Riding Hood size to me, not too big, not too small, just right. And I know enough not to ask you folks about Bobcat vs the others... What do you think? Am I in the right ball park, and if not, what would you suggest?

waggles

A 753 or 743 with a sealed cab and heater would do the job well. 3000hr machine would be okay for your jobs in mind.

Iowa Dave

753 was the best machine I have ever had. I had 2 of them, both G-series which are almost identical to the S-130. An older one wouldn't have the computerized controller, which may be simpler. I never had issues with mine. Others will know--maybe all 753's had Kubota motors--but make sure that is what you get. I know some 751's had "pugs" foe engines--don't buy one of those!! Condition is more important than hours. I never buy a machine that has been repainted, or one that I can't talk to the previous owner about. If buying from a dealer, get a warranty(It will only be 30 days/50 hrs or something on a used machine), and then use it hard (don't abuse, just use HARD) during the warranty period. There are lots of bank repos right now that sell cheap, but you better have someone who knows their stuff look that type of machine over good before you purchase it. I agree 753 would be a perfect size for you. GOOD LUCK!

Tazza

Staff member
753 was the best machine I have ever had. I had 2 of them, both G-series which are almost identical to the S-130. An older one wouldn't have the computerized controller, which may be simpler. I never had issues with mine. Others will know--maybe all 753's had Kubota motors--but make sure that is what you get. I know some 751's had "pugs" foe engines--don't buy one of those!! Condition is more important than hours. I never buy a machine that has been repainted, or one that I can't talk to the previous owner about. If buying from a dealer, get a warranty(It will only be 30 days/50 hrs or something on a used machine), and then use it hard (don't abuse, just use HARD) during the warranty period. There are lots of bank repos right now that sell cheap, but you better have someone who knows their stuff look that type of machine over good before you purchase it. I agree 753 would be a perfect size for you. GOOD LUCK!
Between the two you have to weigh up the options. A 743 has a smaller 1.7 litre engine, so less power, its all mechanical controls so easy to work on.
The 753 is an excellent machine, 2.2 litre engine heaps of power, but the older ones had BICS and electric solenoids for the aux hydraulics. Limited electronics. The later G series or BOSS machines have electronics that can be hard to fix faults on, or find them. They do have nice features on the G series machines though.
I personally would go the 753, more modern and heaps of power.

slmullen

AiredAle: Looks like you did your homework. I too am in MN and bought a 610 for snowplowing and moving firewood. I now wish I had a 743 to do some brush cutting. Don't go any smaller than a 743. Steve

OP
OP
A

AiredAle

AiredAle: Looks like you did your homework. I too am in MN and bought a 610 for snowplowing and moving firewood. I now wish I had a 743 to do some brush cutting. Don't go any smaller than a 743. Steve
Thanks for the replies folks. I'll let you know how my shopping goes. I do have a couple firends who owned and used Bobcats in construction or own one for the same reasons I want one. I don't have a clue how to find repo ones, any suggestions?

Iowa Dave

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll let you know how my shopping goes. I do have a couple firends who owned and used Bobcats in construction or own one for the same reasons I want one. I don't have a clue how to find repo ones, any suggestions?
www.empireinventory.com

bobbie-g

Personally Iwould go with a long wheelbase 763.Same as the 753 just stretched 4 more inches.
Ken
I have a 751 with the Frenchie Peugeot engine, 2100 hrs so far. While the engine is much-maligned, I have yet to see any real reason for the negative feelings. Yes, I wish it were a Kubota. But it runs fine, requires no more maintenance than the normal listed stuff (with the possible exception of the timing belt at 1000 hrs), and has never given me any trouble. Starts hard at less than about 30F. I have listened to the engine noise from a 773 and a T180 both with Kubotas, and they run significantly quieter than the 751, but that may be due to better sound insulation on the larger machines. I find that at least parts of the BICS system are fairly easy to troubleshoot (and bypass, if one were in that mood). The 743 is simpler still, and for hobby farm use, I would be tempted to go the simple route. :) ---RC