New guy with a 1835B

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rusty2867

Hello from KS! I recently purchased a 1982 Case 1835B that needed a little (read a lot) of attention.So far I have found about 10 gal of water in the right chain case and also quite a bit in the left.Rebuild the axles with new bearings and seals and replaced the wheel motor shaft support bearings also.The diesel engine had several fuel leaks that had to be fixed runs MUCH better now.I have changed all the filters and hydro fluid and done a lot of cleaning,it was pretty nasty in the belly of this beast! The hydraulic lift arms and bucket all seem to work correctly but the drive motors are where I have some questions.The left side seems to be just fine and when up on blocks I can't hardly move the wheels by hand,it take all I got to move them.The right side however I can turn a lot easier and when driving it goes forward well but reverse it is very weak.I disconnected the hoses to this motor from the pump and capped them,started the engine and moved the lever it killed the engine so I assume the pump is working.This is my idea,would it be feasible to move the hoses from the rear of the valve block that controls the right motor to the ports that control the left motor and vise versa just to test and see if the right motor works both ways and the problem moves to the left.I know that the steering would work opposite but this would be short term just long enough to test the rt wheel motor.Then I would think it was somewhere in the pump.The charge psi light is on but I have no idea if the sender is good.I am going to look for a guage that will fit in the sender hole to check the actual psi this weekend.Do you guys think this idea of switching the hoses around will work for testing? Sorry for the long winded 1st actual post!

Bswwood

I guess I will let you guys know if this test works tomorrow!
If you could kill the engine in both directions after you capped the lines more than likely it's not your pump it's your drive motor. There seals inside your drive motor, and when they go bad it's usually as you described you have one direction and not the other. Pull the drive motor out, mark the case so you know how it goes back together, and pull it apart and you will see your seals inside, there's really not a lot of magic inside there, fairly easy to reseal.

OP
OP
rusty2867

rusty2867

If you could kill the engine in both directions after you capped the lines more than likely it's not your pump it's your drive motor. There seals inside your drive motor, and when they go bad it's usually as you described you have one direction and not the other. Pull the drive motor out, mark the case so you know how it goes back together, and pull it apart and you will see your seals inside, there's really not a lot of magic inside there, fairly easy to reseal.
Thanks I may just do that! By chance do you know what the valve in the end cap of the wheel motor does?

OP
OP
rusty2867

rusty2867

Bswwood can you look at this diagram if the link works and tell me what I need to seal it? https://www.colemanequip.com/parts/model/Case-1835B-Uniloaders-Skid-Steer-Loaders-Parts/Power-Train-4X/D127145-HYDROSTATIC-DRIVE-MOTOR-0rCg/

Bswwood

Bswwood can you look at this diagram if the link works and tell me what I need to seal it? https://www.colemanequip.com/parts/model/Case-1835B-Uniloaders-Skid-Steer-Loaders-Parts/Power-Train-4X/D127145-HYDROSTATIC-DRIVE-MOTOR-0rCg/
With that style drive motor you may have internal parts that have failed. I suggest swapping drive motors from side to side and see if the issue follows the motor if it does then you know for sure it's the motor. It looks like most of the parts for that original motor have been discontinued however loader parts source has the updated motor for the machine around $1,300.

OP
OP
rusty2867

rusty2867

With that style drive motor you may have internal parts that have failed. I suggest swapping drive motors from side to side and see if the issue follows the motor if it does then you know for sure it's the motor. It looks like most of the parts for that original motor have been discontinued however loader parts source has the updated motor for the machine around $1,300.
So I switched the hoses around and the right motor still didn't go backwards so I pulled the wheel motor out.Going to clean it up tomorrow and see if I can get it apart.It was strange driving it with it switched,left was right and forward was backwards!