New Bobcat Snowblower on Old Machine

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JSWYO

OK, so I screwed up. Bought a newer Bobcat snowblower with the 7-pin connector to run on a 12 year old skid-steer without any electronic controls. I knew I'd have to add controls but was thinking more along the lines of 12v switches, not computerized controls. Also, the blower has 3 hydraulic lines. My skid steer has a pair of high flow and pair of low flow connections but don't know what the 3rd line is for. I think I've searched this forum well but maybe not. Any help anybody can give me on getting this thing to run would be greatly appreciated.

skidsteer.ca

Have you checked with a dealer to see if they can put the older 14 pin bobcat harness on the blower?
If you don't already know, you should also check to see what pump size in gpm the blower was set up to be used with too. I take it that your loader is hi flow and that the blower came off a high flow machine?
Fyi our std flow blowers have 5 motor sizes for the fan and 2 motor sizes for the auger which is taylored to the loaders pump.
As far as the hydraulic chute goes, you may be able to wire that valve with basic 12v dc current, worse case would be you buy a aftermarket valve and throw the proprietary Bobcat system in the trash. (ebay)
Surplus Center or Princess Auto can help you with a valve if it comes to that. Roughly 300 to 400 plus any necessary plumbing mods.
Strangely Bobcat is the only manufacturer that insists on this wiring nonsence, everyone else uses normal 12v dc. I'm surprised more customers don't boycott their attachments because of this. Ruins the resale to many potential customers and compatibility with other carriers.
Can you post some pics of the valve. How wide is the blower and what machine are you putting it on? Do you know what year and model machine it came off of?
The 3rd smaller line from the blower is a case drain and must be conected to the reservoir so it can return a small volume of fluid to the tank but cant be conected to a line with any back pressure. On my NH it simply T into the case drain ffor the one wheel motor, but you might want to ask bobcat where they generally conect it
Ken

OP
OP
J

JSWYO

Have you checked with a dealer to see if they can put the older 14 pin bobcat harness on the blower?
If you don't already know, you should also check to see what pump size in gpm the blower was set up to be used with too. I take it that your loader is hi flow and that the blower came off a high flow machine?
Fyi our std flow blowers have 5 motor sizes for the fan and 2 motor sizes for the auger which is taylored to the loaders pump.
As far as the hydraulic chute goes, you may be able to wire that valve with basic 12v dc current, worse case would be you buy a aftermarket valve and throw the proprietary Bobcat system in the trash. (ebay)
Surplus Center or Princess Auto can help you with a valve if it comes to that. Roughly 300 to 400 plus any necessary plumbing mods.
Strangely Bobcat is the only manufacturer that insists on this wiring nonsence, everyone else uses normal 12v dc. I'm surprised more customers don't boycott their attachments because of this. Ruins the resale to many potential customers and compatibility with other carriers.
Can you post some pics of the valve. How wide is the blower and what machine are you putting it on? Do you know what year and model machine it came off of?
The 3rd smaller line from the blower is a case drain and must be conected to the reservoir so it can return a small volume of fluid to the tank but cant be conected to a line with any back pressure. On my NH it simply T into the case drain ffor the one wheel motor, but you might want to ask bobcat where they generally conect it
Ken
The blower is a 2004 year SB240 with a 72 inch width which runs at 25 to 32 GPM. I'm running an ASV 2810 which is rated at 25 gpm on the high flow pump so I'm just barely there. Its a 90 HP machine so a little surprising I only get 25 gpm but it is what it is. Looking at the blower, the 7-pin lead goes into a black box with 4 leads coming out, each of which consists of a pair of wires that appear to attach to various valves. Surely these still have to run on some sort of voltage. Question is, are this on-off or variable voltage and if they go up to 12V or something else funky from Bobcat. I'll need to look into it a little more and see what each valve controls. Have to turn the chute right/left, deflector up/down, auger speed, and blower speed. I don't want to put 12 volts to a valve, ruin it, and later find out it had a 5 volt max. I have heard Bobcat sells a kit to convert the blower to its 14-pin connection but haven't talked to them about it yet. The third smaller line comes off the top of the blower motor so I guess it makes sense that it is a drain. Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
J

JSWYO

The blower is a 2004 year SB240 with a 72 inch width which runs at 25 to 32 GPM. I'm running an ASV 2810 which is rated at 25 gpm on the high flow pump so I'm just barely there. Its a 90 HP machine so a little surprising I only get 25 gpm but it is what it is. Looking at the blower, the 7-pin lead goes into a black box with 4 leads coming out, each of which consists of a pair of wires that appear to attach to various valves. Surely these still have to run on some sort of voltage. Question is, are this on-off or variable voltage and if they go up to 12V or something else funky from Bobcat. I'll need to look into it a little more and see what each valve controls. Have to turn the chute right/left, deflector up/down, auger speed, and blower speed. I don't want to put 12 volts to a valve, ruin it, and later find out it had a 5 volt max. I have heard Bobcat sells a kit to convert the blower to its 14-pin connection but haven't talked to them about it yet. The third smaller line comes off the top of the blower motor so I guess it makes sense that it is a drain. Thanks for your help.
Upon closer inspection, there are only two valves. Looks like one operates the chute direction and the other operates the deflector. Would have to be 2-position valves with neutral. Question remains as to what voltage.

skidsteer.ca

Upon closer inspection, there are only two valves. Looks like one operates the chute direction and the other operates the deflector. Would have to be 2-position valves with neutral. Question remains as to what voltage.
You're within spec so that is the best size motor for your machine. Auger and fan speed will simple vary with your engine rpm. The valve only divert a portion of this flow to rotate the chute or move the deflector up or down. Does the wires going from the black box have 1 to each of 4 coils and each of the other wires from each coil going to ground?
In the real (non bobcat) world, each of these coil divert flow while powered up to move the chute , 2 coils, 1 left and 1 right, then 2 more coils, one for up and the other for down on the defector.
I'd be willing to bet these are simple dc current, but at what voltage is a good question. If you cold find another one it could be tested. I would also be checking with the hyd shops to see if the valve "looks common" and could maybe be fitted with standard 12 dc coils.
Also price the 14 pin option to see see how expensive it is first.
Ken

OP
OP
J

JSWYO

You're within spec so that is the best size motor for your machine. Auger and fan speed will simple vary with your engine rpm. The valve only divert a portion of this flow to rotate the chute or move the deflector up or down. Does the wires going from the black box have 1 to each of 4 coils and each of the other wires from each coil going to ground?
In the real (non bobcat) world, each of these coil divert flow while powered up to move the chute , 2 coils, 1 left and 1 right, then 2 more coils, one for up and the other for down on the defector.
I'd be willing to bet these are simple dc current, but at what voltage is a good question. If you cold find another one it could be tested. I would also be checking with the hyd shops to see if the valve "looks common" and could maybe be fitted with standard 12 dc coils.
Also price the 14 pin option to see see how expensive it is first.
Ken
Took it out for a test blow last night and It flung the muddy snowy dirt around pretty good. Real anxious to get more snow to try it out on. As for the chute, looks like 2 coils piggy backed on each of 2 valves. Each coil has a black and white wire to it for a total of 8 wires (2 per coil, 4 per valve). From the bobcat side, all wires go into the black box except two which completely bypass it. On the valve side, I have 6 wires coming out of the black box plus the two from the bobcat. I'm going to start at 6 volts (using a lawn mower battery) then go to 12 then 18 and 24 if needed. I'll post what I find. Can't imagine the coils would be less than 5V and still be able to operate a hydraulic valve.

skidsteer.ca

Took it out for a test blow last night and It flung the muddy snowy dirt around pretty good. Real anxious to get more snow to try it out on. As for the chute, looks like 2 coils piggy backed on each of 2 valves. Each coil has a black and white wire to it for a total of 8 wires (2 per coil, 4 per valve). From the bobcat side, all wires go into the black box except two which completely bypass it. On the valve side, I have 6 wires coming out of the black box plus the two from the bobcat. I'm going to start at 6 volts (using a lawn mower battery) then go to 12 then 18 and 24 if needed. I'll post what I find. Can't imagine the coils would be less than 5V and still be able to operate a hydraulic valve.
I think your on the right track with the 6 v batt, sounds just like the coils on our Erskine valves. 4 ground wires and 4 hot wires, 1 coil per function.
Would bet the valve mfg makes the coils in 6, 12 and 24v for various applications. But start low and work up.
Here are some pics of the valve on the stump grinder, which has the same function. Compare the coils with what you have.
IMG_1796.jpg Part # of coil picture by beyondupnorth

This part # is at the base of the coils. Check the pics in the link and see if they look anything like yours.
IMG_1795.jpg Part number of valve picture by beyondupnorth

http://s406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/beyondupnorth/Erskine stumpgrinder electric valve/
Ken

OP
OP
J

JSWYO

I think your on the right track with the 6 v batt, sounds just like the coils on our Erskine valves. 4 ground wires and 4 hot wires, 1 coil per function.
Would bet the valve mfg makes the coils in 6, 12 and 24v for various applications. But start low and work up.
Here are some pics of the valve on the stump grinder, which has the same function. Compare the coils with what you have.

This part # is at the base of the coils. Check the pics in the link and see if they look anything like yours.

http://s406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/beyondupnorth/Erskine%20stumpgrinder%20electric%20valve/
Ken
Great photos. They look identical. Can get in to take a good look. The Bobcat works on 12 volts. The 4 whites are the hot wires and the blacks are ground. One of the two wires bypassing the computer was the ground. Got it working. Thanks for the help and encouragement!

skidsteer.ca

Great photos. They look identical. Can get in to take a good look. The Bobcat works on 12 volts. The 4 whites are the hot wires and the blacks are ground. One of the two wires bypassing the computer was the ground. Got it working. Thanks for the help and encouragement!
Glad to help, now I know I don't have to run away if I get a chance to pick up a used one of these. Let us know if any hickups develop once you get it into service.
Have a good nite
Ken

OP
OP
J

JSWYO

Glad to help, now I know I don't have to run away if I get a chance to pick up a used one of these. Let us know if any hickups develop once you get it into service.
Have a good nite
Ken
I had a coil short out. In the process of taking them apart, found out my coils are the exact model that are on your stump grinder. Hydraforce model 6309311. Go figure. Now I can't find that coil. Hyrdaforce doesn't even list it.

skidsteer.ca

I had a coil short out. In the process of taking them apart, found out my coils are the exact model that are on your stump grinder. Hydraforce model 6309311. Go figure. Now I can't find that coil. Hyrdaforce doesn't even list it.
Hmm strange, it has their name and part number on mine. They don't have that one? How much does Bobcat want?
Ken

OP
OP
J

JSWYO

Hmm strange, it has their name and part number on mine. They don't have that one? How much does Bobcat want?
Ken
$38 bucks through Bobcat--haven't got it in yet so I don't know if they are providing a hydraforce or something else.

OP
OP
J

JSWYO

$38 bucks through Bobcat--haven't got it in yet so I don't know if they are providing a hydraforce or something else.
It was an exact replacement for the Hydraforce coil through Bobcat. Same Hydraforce number.

lgammon

Bobcat must have hydraforce all tied up on that part.
Ken
sorry for digging up a dead thread but i have a question about the coils. i have a bobcat soil conditioner that i am trying to adapt to a 277b cat. the coils have 4 wires going to them. does that mean that i will have to have one button in my machine to push the valve one way and another button to push it back to the original position? i was hoping for a button i could press then work the roller switch then let go and go back to the primary function.

Latest posts