New 443B owner some questions.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RCB

Hello all, I have just acquired a little 443B and I am pretty new to skid-steers in general. I'm hoping some of you more experienced people would be kind enough to give me some advice. ****First question what sort of angle can I climb in this little machine. (I want to load it onto a truck and my ramps are about 25 degrees) ****Second question can I use diesel engine oil in the hydraulics. I went to the dealer to buy some hydraulic fluid and he told me that I can just use diesel engine oil as these older machines can use both is this correct? Thanks in Advance!

SkidRoe

I have a 440B, gas version of yours. You will want to reverse up those ramps when loading, unless you have something really heavy in the bucket. As far as hydraulic oil goes, I run 10w30 engine oil from Walmart in mine, it doesn't have the diesel rated oil. That's what I run in the chain case, too. HTH

OP
OP
R

RCB

I have a 440B, gas version of yours. You will want to reverse up those ramps when loading, unless you have something really heavy in the bucket. As far as hydraulic oil goes, I run 10w30 engine oil from Walmart in mine, it doesn't have the diesel rated oil. That's what I run in the chain case, too. HTH
Hi SkidRoe, thanks for reply, Just to confirm you CAN run engine oil in the Hydraulics? And 25 degrees is ok to drive up ramps? Thanks Again

SkidRoe

Hi SkidRoe, thanks for reply, Just to confirm you CAN run engine oil in the Hydraulics? And 25 degrees is ok to drive up ramps? Thanks Again
Yes to both. Providing you have the traction, it will be fine. Cheers!

OP
OP
R

RCB

Yes to both. Providing you have the traction, it will be fine. Cheers!
Thanks SKidRoe! I will try the ramps on the weekend. BTW is the battery easy to replace? Mine is starting dying slowly had to jump start the machine yesterday.

SkidRoe

Thanks SKidRoe! I will try the ramps on the weekend. BTW is the battery easy to replace? Mine is starting dying slowly had to jump start the machine yesterday.
It's not too bad in mine, but it is a gasser. Yours is going to be a bit more involved, I think the fan shroud may be above the battery in yours. Do you have a service manual? If not, look up OldMachinist's profile. Send him an e-mail, citing your SSF user name. He will hook you up with one. HTH

OP
OP
R

RCB

It's not too bad in mine, but it is a gasser. Yours is going to be a bit more involved, I think the fan shroud may be above the battery in yours. Do you have a service manual? If not, look up OldMachinist's profile. Send him an e-mail, citing your SSF user name. He will hook you up with one. HTH
I bought a workshop manual and I scanned an operators manual if anybody wants it happy to pass on. I did manage to change the battery, it was quite easy I did unscrew the dip stick bracket and moved it to the side and the battery came out easy, didn't even read the manual, as the thing wouldn't start out in the field. I now have a now issue, I have a 4 in in bucket. it has two grease nipples and bearings on the ends of the bucket. How ever I cannot seem to get any grease in these. (also the grease nipple fell off one) any suggestions or repairs? Thanks again for all your input.

SkidRoe

I bought a workshop manual and I scanned an operators manual if anybody wants it happy to pass on. I did manage to change the battery, it was quite easy I did unscrew the dip stick bracket and moved it to the side and the battery came out easy, didn't even read the manual, as the thing wouldn't start out in the field. I now have a now issue, I have a 4 in in bucket. it has two grease nipples and bearings on the ends of the bucket. How ever I cannot seem to get any grease in these. (also the grease nipple fell off one) any suggestions or repairs? Thanks again for all your input.
The fact that one of the grease fittings "fell out" when you tried to grease it is a little concerning. Are the threads okay?
At any rate, there is likely dirt and debris in the grease channels, that needs to be cleaned / flushed out. It likely ended up there due to a lack of regular greasing.
Personally, if it was mine, I would pull the hinge pins and wash out the bores / pins with brake cleaner, replace any worn components, and install new grease fittings upon reassembly.
And, of course, grease it regularly. HTH.

OP
OP
R

RCB

The fact that one of the grease fittings "fell out" when you tried to grease it is a little concerning. Are the threads okay?
At any rate, there is likely dirt and debris in the grease channels, that needs to be cleaned / flushed out. It likely ended up there due to a lack of regular greasing.
Personally, if it was mine, I would pull the hinge pins and wash out the bores / pins with brake cleaner, replace any worn components, and install new grease fittings upon reassembly.
And, of course, grease it regularly. HTH.
Thanks Skidroe, I just bought 11 tubes of grease (And a new grease gun). I'm pretty syre the thread is damaged (that's how came off) can you buy bigger thread grease nipples (I don't know how to pull the hinge pins out is this easy (i have limited tools, and knowledge too, i.e. no pullers, presses welders or blow torch). just some sockets, and a hammer :)

SkidRoe

Thanks Skidroe, I just bought 11 tubes of grease (And a new grease gun). I'm pretty syre the thread is damaged (that's how came off) can you buy bigger thread grease nipples (I don't know how to pull the hinge pins out is this easy (i have limited tools, and knowledge too, i.e. no pullers, presses welders or blow torch). just some sockets, and a hammer :)
With your situation, I would start by removing the grease fittings (you are half way there!! - LOL), and clean the hole out below the fitting until you can see the pin, using a pick, a small screw driver, or a small drill bit. Flush it out really well with brake cleaner.
You will then have to repair the damaged thread. Since you say that you can get a larger grease fitting, I assume the one that was in there likely had a 1/4"-28 thread, and that you will be replacing it with one that likely has a 1/8" NPT (tapered pipe thread). If so, you will need to open the hole up slightly with an 11/32" drill. Try to go as deep as you can without hitting the pin. After you tap the hole, clean it out well, again using brake cleaner.
Install your new grease fittings and grease them up well. Operate the bucket a few times and grease it again. I would repeat this 4-5 times, until you have a clean grease flowing from between the pin and the bushing.
HTH

Latest posts