Need some help with my aux hydraulics.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

hyp7

I have a 96 763 bobcat that I cannot get the aux hydraulics to work at all. When I push the button at the top right I get 1 green light but the switches do nothing, dont drag down motor nothing.I even took off the quick disconnects and no oil at all comes out. Push the button twice and get both green lights and still nothing. With the motor off and the key on when I push the button once I here the small click down by the pmw box and I also checked both solenoids and im getting power to both of them when I move the switch on the handle. I checked both solenoids and they work fine.
Any Ideas on what to check next ?
Thanks for any help Gene.

Tazza

Staff member
To confirm your coils are in good shape and getting power, remove the not holding them to the stems. Press the button on the dash to activate the hydraulics, move the right thumb switch while lifting the coil off the stem, can you feel it buzzing? This will ensure the coils are good and power is getting there.
If the aux hydraulics have not been used in some time they seem to stick. I have had to remove the stem and pull it apart to get it working before. Worked great after, must have been a little piece of rubbish in there.

OP
OP
H

hyp7

To confirm your coils are in good shape and getting power, remove the not holding them to the stems. Press the button on the dash to activate the hydraulics, move the right thumb switch while lifting the coil off the stem, can you feel it buzzing? This will ensure the coils are good and power is getting there.
If the aux hydraulics have not been used in some time they seem to stick. I have had to remove the stem and pull it apart to get it working before. Worked great after, must have been a little piece of rubbish in there.
Tazza I pulled both stems out and they were hollow as if they fit over an internal stem. Is there a rod that stays in the hole after you pull the stem out? I also noticed a set of holes in the stem at the cutaways does this move up and down inside the stem?
Thanks I'll try and find a picture that my help explain.

OP
OP
H

hyp7

Tazza I pulled both stems out and they were hollow as if they fit over an internal stem. Is there a rod that stays in the hole after you pull the stem out? I also noticed a set of holes in the stem at the cutaways does this move up and down inside the stem?
Thanks I'll try and find a picture that my help explain.

Ok tazza got a pic not the best but should work. I pulled out both of these stems. There looks like there is a small plunger with small holes or something in the bottom cut out right red arrow. Does any thing move in the stem when its out of the control valve?

Tazza

Staff member
Ok tazza got a pic not the best but should work. I pulled out both of these stems. There looks like there is a small plunger with small holes or something in the bottom cut out right red arrow. Does any thing move in the stem when its out of the control valve?
There is a tiny spool that slides back and forth inside that unit. It allows fluid through when the magnetic coil is activated.
The hollow is nothing to worry about. They basically control fluid to a larger spool inside the control block that operates your aux hydraulics. Almost like power steering, little effort here produces more power in another point.
If they are indeed stuck, the way i did mine was to use two pieces of alloy in a vice for soft jaws. Looking at the image you posted, holding the stem in the soft jaws by the end with the O rings, i held it with eht far right hand arrow part. Use a spanner and un-screw the stem that goes inside the coil. Note where everything goes, clean with air and solvent and re-assemble with oil. Remember, the stem part is very fragile, don't knock or bend it!. The plunger should move freely inside, if it doesn't, you need a new one.
Hopefully that makes a little sense....

OP
OP
H

hyp7

There is a tiny spool that slides back and forth inside that unit. It allows fluid through when the magnetic coil is activated.
The hollow is nothing to worry about. They basically control fluid to a larger spool inside the control block that operates your aux hydraulics. Almost like power steering, little effort here produces more power in another point.
If they are indeed stuck, the way i did mine was to use two pieces of alloy in a vice for soft jaws. Looking at the image you posted, holding the stem in the soft jaws by the end with the O rings, i held it with eht far right hand arrow part. Use a spanner and un-screw the stem that goes inside the coil. Note where everything goes, clean with air and solvent and re-assemble with oil. Remember, the stem part is very fragile, don't knock or bend it!. The plunger should move freely inside, if it doesn't, you need a new one.
Hopefully that makes a little sense....
Tazza I just got back in from getting them fixed. The little shuttle was stuck really good on both stems. The bottom set of holes on the shuttle were exposed at the bottom cut out and I was able to put a paper clip ( unfolded) through the holes to the other side and kinda twisted and broke the shuttles loose. Cleaned them both up with some contact cleaner. Tried them both out with the solenoids and watched them function great. Put them back in the bobcat and now you hear the motor bog alittle when you push the switches and the trigger.
So every thing works great!!!! Thanks Tazza

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza I just got back in from getting them fixed. The little shuttle was stuck really good on both stems. The bottom set of holes on the shuttle were exposed at the bottom cut out and I was able to put a paper clip ( unfolded) through the holes to the other side and kinda twisted and broke the shuttles loose. Cleaned them both up with some contact cleaner. Tried them both out with the solenoids and watched them function great. Put them back in the bobcat and now you hear the motor bog alittle when you push the switches and the trigger.
So every thing works great!!!! Thanks Tazza
Excellent! Goot to hear you had a win. I'm sure there are so many that are thrown away when that's all they needed to get going again. For the price, you have nothing to loose by trying.