Need new tracks - where to buy?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fabricator

I need to get a new set of tracks for my X320. Choices seem to be Bobcat, McLaren, or Gaberdeen. Any other choices? Any comments on the aftermarket suppliers vs. OEM? Many thanks!

Fishfiles

I say buy OEM from Bobcat , you will pay more but they will last longer , if you pay half the price and they last half as long you still have to change them twice , the rubber isn't the same , I also think the aftermarket tracks wear out the sprockets faster as the pitch doesn't seem the same

OP
OP
F

Fabricator

I say buy OEM from Bobcat , you will pay more but they will last longer , if you pay half the price and they last half as long you still have to change them twice , the rubber isn't the same , I also think the aftermarket tracks wear out the sprockets faster as the pitch doesn't seem the same
I agree with the philosophy that a bargain isn't a bargain if you don't get the service out of it. Just wasn't sure where the aftermarket stood in quality in comparison. Had checked on a price with McLaren. Will check with the local dealer for Bobcat's price.

WebbCo

I agree with the philosophy that a bargain isn't a bargain if you don't get the service out of it. Just wasn't sure where the aftermarket stood in quality in comparison. Had checked on a price with McLaren. Will check with the local dealer for Bobcat's price.
Well I know that some advertisers here wouldnt like it but, Bobcat does buy the most prominent aftermarket tracks and tests them to death. I myself have sold many of the aftermarket tracks back to Bobcat themselves for testing. They pay full price too! Anyway, if someone made a better track that really lasted longer Bobcat would source them and sell them. It only makes their machines look better. Plus the aftermarket does not have the coverage for all the machines, meaning they dont just sell the popular tracks, they still have to account for the less popular tracks, so when some track manufacture says they build a better track, do they build it for all the models? Anyway, like I said before, I have sold tracks, Bobcat and the aftermarkets for 12 plus years, when I do sell aftermarkets, most customers come back asking for the Bobcat when they wear out the aftermarkets.

mclarenusa.com

Hi Fabricator,
Thank you for showing interest in our Next Generation rubber tracks. We may be biased but we believe our tracks to be the best on the market. Here are some other reasons why you should consider us: 1) We offer an 18 month warranty on mini-excavator tracks, the best warranty on the market. We offer this type warranty because we are confident about our products. 2) Since we are the manufacturer you can have any problems resolved immediately. 3) We offer a "10 Day Competitor's Challenge"
Additionally, our Next Generation rubber tracks are currently begin tested by a few OEMs as we speak. I cannot disclose which ones as we have a confidentiality agreement in place during testing but I hope this gives additional confidence in our products. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.
www.mclarenusa.com
Regards,

tracKing

Hi Fabricator,
Thank you for showing interest in our Next Generation rubber tracks. We may be biased but we believe our tracks to be the best on the market. Here are some other reasons why you should consider us: 1) We offer an 18 month warranty on mini-excavator tracks, the best warranty on the market. We offer this type warranty because we are confident about our products. 2) Since we are the manufacturer you can have any problems resolved immediately. 3) We offer a "10 Day Competitor's Challenge"
Additionally, our Next Generation rubber tracks are currently begin tested by a few OEMs as we speak. I cannot disclose which ones as we have a confidentiality agreement in place during testing but I hope this gives additional confidence in our products. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.
www.mclarenusa.com
Regards,
If you think your really getting a better track because of the name, YOU should do your home work! There are thousands of different track sizes. How can a company make their OWN track when they need at least one mold per track to make it? If it's a continous steel cord track, it takes one mold per size. If its a overlaping cord track, the mold can be added too to make a few longer track sizes. There are only a few companys in the WORLD that make rubber tracks! If you buy in bulk (like almost anything else in the world) you can have your name stamped on it. Marketing, sales, and overhead are determining factors on how you get your track price! Ask your BIG name dealer where their tracks are made? All tracks are made in korea or china! Material and labor are cheaper there than any where else.

rock

If you think your really getting a better track because of the name, YOU should do your home work! There are thousands of different track sizes. How can a company make their OWN track when they need at least one mold per track to make it? If it's a continous steel cord track, it takes one mold per size. If its a overlaping cord track, the mold can be added too to make a few longer track sizes. There are only a few companys in the WORLD that make rubber tracks! If you buy in bulk (like almost anything else in the world) you can have your name stamped on it. Marketing, sales, and overhead are determining factors on how you get your track price! Ask your BIG name dealer where their tracks are made? All tracks are made in korea or china! Material and labor are cheaper there than any where else.
Hi TracKing and welcome! I'm not the expert on the subject, but if someone needs to do their home work, it may also be you. No offense
emotion-5.gif
Here is at least one source I found with a quick search over the internet showing that there are other places in the world besides China and Korea that make rubber tracks:

http://www.bridgestone.co.jp/english/news/050113.html

There are probably other sources out there showing where the track manufacturers make their products, but as I said, it's not my business to know and I'm not claiming to be the "Track King"
emotion-2.gif

I agree with Imbobcat that Bobcat and the other OEMs test heavily all their parts and tracks before passing them to the aftermarket, regardless if they buy them from Bridgestone, McLaren, Solideal or other track manufacturers. So, I feel safe buying from my OEM dealer or from reputable tracks manufacturers, simply because I know they have done their testing for me, and even if there is a problem, they'll fully support me. After all the BIG companies have to protect their BIG names that they have invested millions to advertise. For me, buying from reputable companies is like an insurance that I won't get screwed.

tracKing

Hi TracKing and welcome! I'm not the expert on the subject, but if someone needs to do their home work, it may also be you. No offense Here is at least one source I found with a quick search over the internet showing that there are other places in the world besides China and Korea that make rubber tracks:

http://www.bridgestone.co.jp/english/news/050113.html

There are probably other sources out there showing where the track manufacturers make their products, but as I said, it's not my business to know and I'm not claiming to be the "Track King"

I agree with Imbobcat that Bobcat and the other OEMs test heavily all their parts and tracks before passing them to the aftermarket, regardless if they buy them from Bridgestone, McLaren, Solideal or other track manufacturers. So, I feel safe buying from my OEM dealer or from reputable tracks manufacturers, simply because I know they have done their testing for me, and even if there is a problem, they'll fully support me. After all the BIG companies have to protect their BIG names that they have invested millions to advertise. For me, buying from reputable companies is like an insurance that I won't get screwed.
No offense taking. I`ve been doing my home work for 15yrs. total with more than the 3 company`s mention above. I dont dis agree with you on Bridgestone. They started the whole rubber track thing. They have more exprience than anyone else! Every track company tries to follow the leader. As for the rest. If you put a Solideal, McLaren or ANY of the other rubber tracks out there on a machine and test how many hours you get from each track. There will only be about a 100 hr. difference in each track(with a continous cord). You wont always get the same results because of applications, and operators. Some times one will do better than the other.But, I defintely agree. The BIG companys have invested millions to advertise. My point being, if your sales rep.and his comany (no matter what company) could save you any where from $200.00-$1,200.00 on one track and back it up with a old fashion hand shake and a warranty.Then where can you go wrong?

mclarenusa.com

Dear TracKing:

McLaren, more than just a name!

As mentioned, it does take quite a number of molds to produce a variety of tracks. The mold design is a critical aspect to producing a good rubber track. The mold design must take into account not only the design of the track itself but also the press machine being used, rubber formulation, and heating technique. Many of these factors will effect not only the shape of the mold, but also the mold block thickness, mold material spec, number of air gates, degree of angles and radius that may effect rubber flow, mounting systems, pressure calculations, etc… Once a design is finalized and your CAD programming is set, then CAM programming and correct tooling is essential. A number of different insert tools, solid carbides, and end mills must be coordinated with tool changes, feed rates, and cutting depths. There are many factors involved. In order to produce the best molds, you need to know a lot about the production process, rubber formulation, metallurgy, machining, and EDM techniques because many small ideas or "know how" make big differences in the final product. It is important to know as much as possible about every aspect involved. This is why some manufacturers like Michelin produce molds "in house." McLaren has followed Michelin and the same principle of "in house" mold production by producing its own rubber track molds. This allows us to develop and improve faster than our competition. McLaren tries to perfect its technology and its "know how" while keeping it secret. To keep up with the demand for new molds, McLaren produces its own molds using CAD/CAM technology with CNC machines and the most modern cutting tools. We cut molds in our factory 24 hours a day 6 days a week. This is required to keep up with the many new sizes and patterns being developed for market. To speed up the process we use high feed rate cutting methods with high performance cutting inserts from Seco, Scandvich, and Kennametals. Hopefully this information gives the Forum more insight about McLaren and what we do. We're not just a name. When you buy from McLaren, you're purchasing from a fully integrated manufacturer who backs its product with great customer service.

www.mclarenusa.com

Fishfiles

Dear TracKing:

McLaren, more than just a name!

As mentioned, it does take quite a number of molds to produce a variety of tracks. The mold design is a critical aspect to producing a good rubber track. The mold design must take into account not only the design of the track itself but also the press machine being used, rubber formulation, and heating technique. Many of these factors will effect not only the shape of the mold, but also the mold block thickness, mold material spec, number of air gates, degree of angles and radius that may effect rubber flow, mounting systems, pressure calculations, etc… Once a design is finalized and your CAD programming is set, then CAM programming and correct tooling is essential. A number of different insert tools, solid carbides, and end mills must be coordinated with tool changes, feed rates, and cutting depths. There are many factors involved. In order to produce the best molds, you need to know a lot about the production process, rubber formulation, metallurgy, machining, and EDM techniques because many small ideas or "know how" make big differences in the final product. It is important to know as much as possible about every aspect involved. This is why some manufacturers like Michelin produce molds "in house." McLaren has followed Michelin and the same principle of "in house" mold production by producing its own rubber track molds. This allows us to develop and improve faster than our competition. McLaren tries to perfect its technology and its "know how" while keeping it secret. To keep up with the demand for new molds, McLaren produces its own molds using CAD/CAM technology with CNC machines and the most modern cutting tools. We cut molds in our factory 24 hours a day 6 days a week. This is required to keep up with the many new sizes and patterns being developed for market. To speed up the process we use high feed rate cutting methods with high performance cutting inserts from Seco, Scandvich, and Kennametals. Hopefully this information gives the Forum more insight about McLaren and what we do. We're not just a name. When you buy from McLaren, you're purchasing from a fully integrated manufacturer who backs its product with great customer service.

www.mclarenusa.com
So what you are implying is that Mclaren owns it own manufacturing plant , specific to Mclaren , that makes track that are only sold as Mclaren tracks , and they are not having their track produced in a plant that is making tracks for numerous companies and the company makes some minor changes to a patch and is saying this run is for you , where is this manufacturing plant located ?

mclarenusa.com

So what you are implying is that Mclaren owns it own manufacturing plant , specific to Mclaren , that makes track that are only sold as Mclaren tracks , and they are not having their track produced in a plant that is making tracks for numerous companies and the company makes some minor changes to a patch and is saying this run is for you , where is this manufacturing plant located ?

Dear Fishfiles:

Thank you for your question. Yes, this is correct, McLaren Industries (Thailand) Co., Ltd. is located in Rayong, Thailand. Please visit our website at www.mclarenusa.com. Click on news, please read the article titled, "McLaren USA expects continued sales growth in 2008." This article talks in greater detail about McLaren's operations in Thailand.

Happy skidding and steering in 2008.

tracKing

Dear Fishfiles:

Thank you for your question. Yes, this is correct, McLaren Industries (Thailand) Co., Ltd. is located in Rayong, Thailand. Please visit our website at www.mclarenusa.com. Click on news, please read the article titled, "McLaren USA expects continued sales growth in 2008." This article talks in greater detail about McLaren's operations in Thailand.

Happy skidding and steering in 2008.
Like I said.ALL AFTER MARKET rubber tracks are made in China and Korea. If McLaren has a rubber track come out in time that is stamped with "MADE IN THAILAND". I`d like to see what other companies will have the same? As far as how the tracks are made in detail. Every company should have a raw material lists and how they are made. I am VERY familiar with McLaren`s tracks . Again, if YOUR rep. can give you a better deal and BACK it up?! Where can you go wrong?? If its McLaren with the better price and BACKED up warranty? Then by all means, buy your track. We all know in EVERY business. The warranty is only as good as the person standing behind it. For ALMOST (notice ALMOST) every way that someone can say why the track failed, A rep can show you how it was MISS used. Unless you have a relationship with your Rep. or dealer. If a track will fail? It will within the first 3 months. This is a proven FACT that every company knows!

tracKing

Like I said.ALL AFTER MARKET rubber tracks are made in China and Korea. If McLaren has a rubber track come out in time that is stamped with "MADE IN THAILAND". I`d like to see what other companies will have the same? As far as how the tracks are made in detail. Every company should have a raw material lists and how they are made. I am VERY familiar with McLaren`s tracks . Again, if YOUR rep. can give you a better deal and BACK it up?! Where can you go wrong?? If its McLaren with the better price and BACKED up warranty? Then by all means, buy your track. We all know in EVERY business. The warranty is only as good as the person standing behind it. For ALMOST (notice ALMOST) every way that someone can say why the track failed, A rep can show you how it was MISS used. Unless you have a relationship with your Rep. or dealer. If a track will fail? It will within the first 3 months. This is a proven FACT that every company knows!
I hope that everyone that is interested in rubber tracks has learned a little bit since I posted some info. Maybe some reps that work for track companies learned a little some thing extra too. If anyone is looking to purchase after market tracks would like some help on who to buy from in your local area, I would be willing to offer advise on who has a good track at a good price in your area. From Canada down to the gulf coast. Wishing everyone a blessed day.

OP
OP
F

Fabricator

I hope that everyone that is interested in rubber tracks has learned a little bit since I posted some info. Maybe some reps that work for track companies learned a little some thing extra too. If anyone is looking to purchase after market tracks would like some help on who to buy from in your local area, I would be willing to offer advise on who has a good track at a good price in your area. From Canada down to the gulf coast. Wishing everyone a blessed day.
I thank everyone for their input. As it worked out, the local Bobcat dealership got transferred to a new owner. They had an open house the other week and had a number of special offers. I ended up getting a set of Bridgestone tracks through them for less than what I was quoted by aftermarket suppliers.

cyclist

Hi tracKing, I just purchased a John Deere 317 & am thinking about tracks. At this time it has bald 10x16.5 foam filled tires. I mainly run in mud & dirt/gravel but park inside of a concrete garage every night. Any suggestions? I live in Eastern Pa. near Allentown. Thanks cycling

tracKing

Hi tracKing, I just purchased a John Deere 317 & am thinking about tracks. At this time it has bald 10x16.5 foam filled tires. I mainly run in mud & dirt/gravel but park inside of a concrete garage every night. Any suggestions? I live in Eastern Pa. near Allentown. Thanks cycling
Hi cyclist, Sorry I have been busy and really have not checked SKIDSTEER lately. To answer your question for the app. you run on you really have a 2 good chooses. Your really not on pavement enough to worry about leaving marks from your tracks. Solideal and McClaren both have tracks that would benefit you. McClaren has over the tire tracks that would last a long time and you def. get your money out of them. If you went with them I would suggest to get the tracks with the rubber pads on them so you would never have to worry about leaving marks on pavement (if you ever had to run a little more than plained). On the other hand Solideal has a great track that is prefect for mud. There over the tire tracks will give you alot more floation as no mud could come threw the bottom of the track. The problem with the solideal tracks is if they get ripped or tore that the tracks would have to be changed. If there are alot of objects that could puntucure the tracks,I would go with McClaren. If not Solideal. Almost forgot,The Sloideal tracks can not run with Foam Fill but the McClaren tracks can(Dont know if you have to have the tires foam filled). Hope this helped out a little for you on your decision.?!