need lift cylinder for 231X

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

diyman

my father was tearing out some trees with our 231 excavator and managed to blow the cap out of the main lift cylinder. the threads are gona on the cap but look to be left in the barrel still but we cannot get the bottom pin to come out, anyone have suggestions? we put a little heat to it but was concerned about making the frame brittle. also my other question is does anyone know where to get a new cylinder or cap for the cylinder?

Tazza

Staff member
If it's really stuck, you can some times leave it in place. Just pull the piston out, clean the threads and install a new seal kit and gland nut. With the barrel locked in place, you can really tighten up the nut without it spinning the barrel on you.
Is taht an option still or not?
You are doing the right thing to try and get the pin out, heat, penetrating oil is about all you can do. Heat it, and soak with oil. Belt the crap out of it with a hammer and drift slightly smaller than the pin. Ensure it is softer than the pin too, you don't want to deform it. Try knocking it from both sides.
Good luck getting it all fixed up.

OP
OP
D

diyman

If it's really stuck, you can some times leave it in place. Just pull the piston out, clean the threads and install a new seal kit and gland nut. With the barrel locked in place, you can really tighten up the nut without it spinning the barrel on you.
Is taht an option still or not?
You are doing the right thing to try and get the pin out, heat, penetrating oil is about all you can do. Heat it, and soak with oil. Belt the crap out of it with a hammer and drift slightly smaller than the pin. Ensure it is softer than the pin too, you don't want to deform it. Try knocking it from both sides.
Good luck getting it all fixed up.
well from the beggining the thing was pretty hard to move and it stuck out about a quarter inch on easch side and with a pull swing and a ten pound sledge it took quite a bit to get it to move the amount it did. .im wondering if its bent slightly and thats why it cant move anymore. i was told to heat only the pin and then blast it with air to shrink it and drive it out. i thought about welding a drift pin to it so we can hit it harder than me holding it and my dad swinging half strength? if it comes out were going to replace it and maybe fixing it on the machine is an option but we cannot rebuild cylinders and a shop would have to do it for us. .

Tazza

Staff member
well from the beggining the thing was pretty hard to move and it stuck out about a quarter inch on easch side and with a pull swing and a ten pound sledge it took quite a bit to get it to move the amount it did. .im wondering if its bent slightly and thats why it cant move anymore. i was told to heat only the pin and then blast it with air to shrink it and drive it out. i thought about welding a drift pin to it so we can hit it harder than me holding it and my dad swinging half strength? if it comes out were going to replace it and maybe fixing it on the machine is an option but we cannot rebuild cylinders and a shop would have to do it for us. .
I don't see any problems with welding small tabs to the ends to hit with a hammer, possibly even both ends to get it to wiggle. The longer you make them the more prone to bending they will be.
It is possible it has bent, but if the bosses are right, it really shouldn't. Could be a worn spot that has deformed the pin shape to make it lock up too. Get lots of good penetrating oil on it while you belt at it.
Absolute worst case, you may need to torch the pin out. You may be able to drill it too, depends on how hard the pin is though.

OP
OP
D

diyman

I don't see any problems with welding small tabs to the ends to hit with a hammer, possibly even both ends to get it to wiggle. The longer you make them the more prone to bending they will be.
It is possible it has bent, but if the bosses are right, it really shouldn't. Could be a worn spot that has deformed the pin shape to make it lock up too. Get lots of good penetrating oil on it while you belt at it.
Absolute worst case, you may need to torch the pin out. You may be able to drill it too, depends on how hard the pin is though.
got it fixed last weekend!! we ended up taking our partner saw and cutting the pin on each side. sent the cylinder out to be rebuilt( only 400 bucks!) then the pin pieces left had to be driven to the right (view point sitting in the cabin looking at the boom) now we have some engine issues to figure out. doing some reading on the forums and getting ideas to check

Tazza

Staff member
got it fixed last weekend!! we ended up taking our partner saw and cutting the pin on each side. sent the cylinder out to be rebuilt( only 400 bucks!) then the pin pieces left had to be driven to the right (view point sitting in the cabin looking at the boom) now we have some engine issues to figure out. doing some reading on the forums and getting ideas to check
Glad you got the cylinder done, some times they sure can be stuck in place good. I had a bucket like that.