Need help with hydraulic cylinder rebuild Melroe M444

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

GlennsM444

Has anyone ever rebuilt a hydraulic cylinder for one of these machines? My left tilt cylinder is leaking from the shaft. I've removed the cylinder. There are no bolts to be found. The dust wiper at the base of the piston shaft has two small holes in it that are 2 inches apart on center. Is there a special tool that fits into these holes for unscrewing the dust wiper in order to the the assembly apart? I have the rebuild kit; just need to get in there and exchange the old with the new.

OP
OP
GlennsM444

GlennsM444

I'll answer my own question cause I just found the answer: It takes a "spanner wrench."

Tazza

Staff member
Yes but have heard some just use a big pair of grips and unscrew it
I have used a pipe wrench before too.
A word of advise, if you go to a seal shop to replace the seals, get pre-energized ones. They seal much better than the other style, but are a little tougher to install as they are stiffer.

OP
OP
GlennsM444

GlennsM444

I have used a pipe wrench before too.
A word of advise, if you go to a seal shop to replace the seals, get pre-energized ones. They seal much better than the other style, but are a little tougher to install as they are stiffer.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll give that a try before I spring for a spanner wrench. Bobcat of Boston had the seals in stock. Duttin look to scary to fix. Thanks.

thynes

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll give that a try before I spring for a spanner wrench. Bobcat of Boston had the seals in stock. Duttin look to scary to fix. Thanks.
Glen, funny you posted this. I just rebuilt the two lift cylinders on my m600 Friday, and I rebuilt the tilt cylinders last summer. Pretty easy to do, but a little messy. Don't wear good clothes. I used a pipe wrench on the end caps. If you don't have a big vise to hold them once removed, loosen the caps before you take the cylinders off, this can make it much easier. Give me a shout if you run into any snags. One of my cylinders had a tear in the end cap seal, and was constantly slowly leaking. My driveway was bleeding red, and the wife was not so happy... Tim in Mass

OP
OP
GlennsM444

GlennsM444

Glen, funny you posted this. I just rebuilt the two lift cylinders on my m600 Friday, and I rebuilt the tilt cylinders last summer. Pretty easy to do, but a little messy. Don't wear good clothes. I used a pipe wrench on the end caps. If you don't have a big vise to hold them once removed, loosen the caps before you take the cylinders off, this can make it much easier. Give me a shout if you run into any snags. One of my cylinders had a tear in the end cap seal, and was constantly slowly leaking. My driveway was bleeding red, and the wife was not so happy... Tim in Mass
Hey Tim, Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go the pipe wrench approach. By the way I'm from Mass too (Norton.) Did a lot of work on our Norton house last summer with my 444. Job took me to Conway, NH last fall; renting the Norton house for the time being. That's a nice lookin' 600 you've got there. In addition to my 444 I also have a 600 with a blown motor and good bones I got from a guy in North Attleboro for $300 last fall. He even gave me an extra Wisconsin V65HD for $150! The 600 is going to be my "father son" project as soon as I get the chance.

thynes

Hey Tim, Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go the pipe wrench approach. By the way I'm from Mass too (Norton.) Did a lot of work on our Norton house last summer with my 444. Job took me to Conway, NH last fall; renting the Norton house for the time being. That's a nice lookin' 600 you've got there. In addition to my 444 I also have a 600 with a blown motor and good bones I got from a guy in North Attleboro for $300 last fall. He even gave me an extra Wisconsin V65HD for $150! The 600 is going to be my "father son" project as soon as I get the chance.
Yea, Norton to Conway is a tough commute. I can see why you moved! That was a good score on the 600. I bet you will have a lot of fun with your son. I am a bit jealous. Cheers!

Mikefromcny

Yea, Norton to Conway is a tough commute. I can see why you moved! That was a good score on the 600. I bet you will have a lot of fun with your son. I am a bit jealous. Cheers!
I repacked the tilt cylinders on my 610 last year with packings from ebay. Be careful using a pipe wrench on the gland nuts, they are very soft. You can pick up a cheap gland nut wrench on amazon for around $20, well worth it.http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A8FNPYU/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1426818749&sr=8-2&keywords=gland+nut+wrench&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=4153qPTKxuL&ref=plSrch

6brnorma

I repacked the tilt cylinders on my 610 last year with packings from ebay. Be careful using a pipe wrench on the gland nuts, they are very soft. You can pick up a cheap gland nut wrench on amazon for around $20, well worth it.http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A8FNPYU/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1426818749&sr=8-2&keywords=gland+nut+wrench&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=4153qPTKxuL&ref=plSrch
Glenns………I've used the 'pipe wrench' solution before myself and must agree with Mike…..use caution, that gland nut is really soft and easy to damage. If you can find any way to spring for the 'spanner' wrench it is nice to have…..makes a great conversation piece also when "non-mechanical" type buddies show up for a beer.